08-24-2005 / Court TV - Catherine Crier Live

Sabine

Hello together!

I've found that transcript on KOP-Forum. Although I've never watched that show I think you can find the reason, why Diane Dimond got booted. May she R.I.P. or R.I.H. I don't care. Just my opinion.

Regards Sabine

08-24-2005 / Court TV - Catherine Crier Live
Crier, Dimond And Oxman Interview
Crier: Well, she didn't hit it off with the jurors in Michael Jackson's trial. Now the mother of his accuser is in some hot water herself. Court TV's chief investigative editor Diane Dimond has more. Diane has also, shock, surprise, but you did it quickly, written a book about the Michael Jackson case titled "Be Careful Who You Love." Available in November. There's nobody on the planet that knows more about this case than Diane.

Dimond: Thank you for the book plug.

Crier: That's absolutely true. And also with us, Brian Oxman, one of Michael Jackson's attorneys. And Brian, I think she knows more than you do, and you're on the inside.

Dimond: Well, Diane has been everywhere. She is marvelous.

Crier: There you go. There you go. Diane, I want to start with you. My first shock was this is all those fraud charges and the perjury and the welfare fraud that we heard about during the course of the trial. I understand she's got a hearing on the seventh of September but there's a $50,000 bail? She didn't commit a murder, for god's sake.

Dimond: I know. And there are, like as one prosecutor told me today, we don't set $50,000 bails for like home invasion robbers you know, that go in and keep people hostage. So it does seem like an inordinate amount of bail.

Crier: It's an old case.

Dimond: Yes. And you know, where is she going to flee? She's got four children. One of them is very young. Uh, she's pregnant, by the way. We hear that she's going to have a little girl. And she's thrilled about that. Where is she going to run? She grew up in that area all her life.

Crier: And you said her husband --

Dimond: Oh, and her husband, yes, Jay is his name, is in the service and he's just been shipped out to Iraq. He is now at Fort Bliss on his way for 14 months. And her mother is ill in the hospital. Very ill in the hospital.

Crier: I mean, it doesn't excuse welfare fraud, but --

Dimond: No.

Crier: All of this came up, you remember the hearings in court, could they talk about it in front of the jury? Could they not? And of course ultimately the jury got some information about this.

Dimond: They knew she had to take the fifth because she did lie on her welfare applications.

Crier: Okay. So we're real clear about that. The applications came after she got the J.C. Penney settlement, she didn't tell them about that, she didn't tell them about living with is it Major Jackson?

Dimond: Right.

Crier: With her then boyfriend. So sounds look a deal where she probably had to go in and just --

Dimond: You know, I tell you. I read some of the reports on it, and they're not correct. They say that the major was paying her rent and her utilities, and that's not quite right. She was taking the welfare checks, three of them, for $769, and putting them into his account because she didn't have a bank account and didn't want to pay the $25, you know, checking fee. And then he would write the check for the rent. It wasn't like he was paying her rent. And it wasn't like he was paying her utilities. He was paying out of the money she gave him. But you're not supposed to do that. You're not supposed to like launder your welfare checks through somebody else's account.

Crier: Why do you think the L.A.D.A. is doing this now?

Dimond: I don't know. I think he likes to do cases that's are splashy and keep his department in the news. I'm not sure that this one might not backfire for him. I mean, this is a woman, who no matter what you say, and I'm sure Brian will have a lot to say about her, has gone through a hell of sorts over the last two years with this trial. Whatever the reason. And she has lost. And her life will never be the same. And neither will the lives of her children, especially that boy who made the allegations. So now to go after her and sort of crush her under the heel of the state, umm... I don't know that it won't evoke more sympathy.

Crier: Brian, and this is not saying let welfare cheats off or any of that sort of thing, but it's a very public way, and again the $50,000 bail that at least initially has been set. It sounds like a bit of overkill?

Oxman: I have got to agree with you because these are the very same arguments I was making in the Michael Jackson case concerning a $3 million bail.

Crier: Yeah.

Oxman: I was saying the very same thing thing. We have to take a look at these cases and you have to judge them on their merits, not on their publicity and not on their notoriety. And I think "treat me just like every other case, every other client," has got to be the watch-word of these cases.

Crier: You think the kids were involved in all of this, don't you?

Oxman: I most certainly do. You have to remember that there was an interview on February 21st with Social Services where these children said to the Social Services that they lived in a house in East L.A. Well, they weren't living in a house in East L.A. They were living with Major Jay Jackson in West Los Angeles. The reason that they told that fib, that story, was because if welfare found out about it, they would have prosecuted her mother. Welfare has found out. And she's now being prosecuted.

Crier: We've got about ten seconds left. Would Michael Jackson be happy if there was a plea bargain and this all sort of went away?

Oxman: There is no desire for any kind of retribution. This case vindicates Michael Jackson, and that is our only concern. We have no retribution. We don't want any ill will with this lady. Michael Jackson was innocent. And I think this case proves it.

Crier: All right. Well, that's the jury's verdict thus far. Diane Dimond, Brian Oxman, thank you very much.