Adele\'s Mjeol Tutorials 1: Colourising With Gradients

Adele

I thought I would post the tutorials that I have made up in here so it is easier for me to upload them and easier for you guys so that everyone can see them when they wish and not having to ask me for them individually...

MJEOL TUTORIAL FOR GRADIENT COLOURISATION
By Adele Heyes

1. Open the picture you wish to use and a blank canvas (if you are intending to blend by this method).

01.jpg

2. Normally, with any picture that I use for blending, I improve the colours and the brightness.

2.jpg

3. Choose the gradient that you wish for your picture to show - for this tutorial, I will use the Rainbow gradient (bottom left). To get to the Gradients menu on PSP8, double click on your Foreground colour box and click on the Gradient tab. Add another layer onto the canvas with your chosen picture on it.

3.jpg

4. Use the FILL tool to fill the layer in with your gradient. Double click on the layer with the gradient in it and set the blend mode to SCREEN. You access the layer’s menu by double clicking on it from the menu on the bottom right hand side of the screen.

4.jpg

5. Insert another layer on top of your picture and this time, double click on your Background colour box. Choose white as your colour. On the right hand side of the menu window where you choose the fill gradient/colour/etc, there should be a tick box above the texture selection. Tick this to enable the Texture menu and choose the following options with these specifications:

STREAKS
Angle: 45
Scale: 65

5.jpg

6. Right click into the layer to make the white, streaked texture appear on your canvas. Double click on the layer with the white texture on it from the menu on the bottom right of the screen and set the mode to either OVERLAY, SCREEN or DODGE. All of these make good results, but it just depends on how you want the finished graphic to look.

6.jpg

7. Double click on your Foreground Colour box, click on the Patterns tab and select the pattern box that is a representation of the graphic that we have been working on. Press OK.

7.jpg

8. Select the blank canvas and click on the Brush tool. The settings that I choose to have for the brush are as follows…

HARDNESS: 36
STEP: 25
DENSITY: 100
THICKNESS: 100
ROTATION: 0
OPACITY: 46

You can have the brush adjusted to whatever size you want - an interesting approach to this that I found out yesterday is to use different brushes as well as the default round or square ones to create interesting grungey effects. All you do is then just paint with the brush - it’s best to point and click to apply the paint to the canvas instead of clicking and dragging because you can build up the opacity of the paint and it is easier to blend pics together like that.

8.jpg

A

Anonymous

Originally posted by Adele
Well, I'm sorry I don't use PhotoShop! Geez...
im sorry i think i was kinda being rude as well, i still think its good that you made this cos ppl who use paintshop pro can use this.

Adele

I'm sorry for snapping, sweet heart...things are kinda bad over here at the moment and I just retaliated like that unfairly. I'm sorry.

A

Anonymous

Hehe, I already knew this tho, since I have paint shop pro 8 myself. But it looks good, nice tut!
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Originally posted by Adele
I'm sorry for snapping, sweet heart...things are kinda bad over here at the moment and I just retaliated like that unfairly. I'm sorry.
its okay :biglaugh *hugs!!*

Adele

Thanks for forgiving me, sweetie! I feel like such a bitch when I go off on one like that...uhuu...