Countdown w/ Keith Olbermann: Russ Halpern + other info (Dec 2 2003)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Countdown with Keith Olbermann’ for Dec. 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the complete transcript to Tuesday’s show
Guests: Russell Halpern, Mike Hedlund, Margaret Carlson, Alan Wolfelt

KEITH OLBERMANN, HOST: Good evening, this is COUNTDOWN.

In the endless media war that is the Michael Jackson case, this statement is hardly shocking: “Jackson does not have the character of a pedophile.” The statement is not shocking, but who spoke it may be, the father of the alleged victim. Our fifth story on tonight’s COUNTDOWN support from the most unlikely of venues, with the caveat that these are the products of several news organizations, some beyond reproach and some beyond belief. It’s your entertainment dollars in action. Day 15 of the Michael Jackson investigation.

Ever since Jackson was arrested, the support for Jackson from the accused father has been escalating and echoing, but his latest comments that, of the accuser’s father to a Los Angeles television station have now reached a new level. The father’s attorney, Russell Halpern, will be guest here in a moment, says his client has spoken to Jackson on, quote, “numerous occasions and considers Jackson a friend.” The attorney now also says the father responded to the arrest with, quote, “surprise and disbelief because Jackson does not have a pedophile’s character.”

But does the father have his son’s love and trust? The Associated Press quoting one of the alleged victim’s friends as saying “he told me how he hates his parents a lot.” Ahmed Elatab, the 17-year-old New Jersey boy, who has spoken frequently to the media, added that nugget last night. Elatab did not go into detail, but said the remarks came in March when Jackson had taken both children to a toy store. An L.A. television station, meanwhile, is reporting that the alleged victim’s father cannot see his children until he completes a court ordered parenting class.

Checking motives, Elatab a frequent interviewed guest on just about every network except Al-Jazeera, says he has been encouraged to speak out on Jackson’s behalf by representatives of Jackson.

The now 13-year-old boy reported last week to be in poor health overall, but also with remission of his cancer, has also attributed the latter development to a father figure in his life, Michael Jackson. He said, “It’s healed up because Michael taught him how to get rid of cancer, because Michael meditates and stuff like that.” That quote comes, once again, from the New Jersey 17-year-old, Ahmad Elatab. “He said Michael was like a father to him. He called Michael sometimes ‘dad’ and stuff.”

All of which brings to the surface a simmering question about the accusations against Jackson, are they related to or, worst yet, the product of a family dispute, one that obviously pits father against mother, but also, if the young Elatab is to be believed, may also pit the son against both of his parents.

As mentioned earlier, I’m joined from Los Angeles by Russell Halpern, the attorney for the alleged victim’s father.

Mr. Halpern, thank you for some of your time this evening.

RUSSELL HALPERN, ATTORNEY FOR THE FATHER OF JACKSON’S ACCUSER: Well, thank you for having me.

OLBERMANN: Is that what this is all about? Are these accusations and the subsequent charges against Michael Jackson some kind of tip of the iceberg of a domestic dispute?
HALPERN: I don’t believe that they’re the tip of the iceberg of a domestic dispute. I think, though, in my client’s case that he feels it exemplifies what he’s been trying to say about his ex-wife for sometime.

OLBERMANN: Relative to the remarks by your client about Michael Jackson not having the character of a pedophile let me ask you bluntly, is your client, the alleged victim’s father, saying that he does not believe the charge, that he does not believe his own son was abused by Michael Jackson?

HALPERN: Let me clarify that.

OLBERMANN: Please.

HALPERN: When he was informed of these charges, his initial reaction is one of anybody who would have a friend of theirs or a relative accused of these things. Their initial reaction is one of disbelief. He knows Michael Jackson, he had a lot of conversations with Michael, and he feels that Michael never displayed any evidence of pedophilia. On the other hand, he would like to believe his son, so he’s conflicted on this.

OLBERMANN: So, the premise here, as I understand it, is that the accusations might be true or that the mother might in some way be coaching or leading the child, but for what purpose, in your client’s opinion?

HALPERN: Well, my client has had some experience with his ex-wife, and I have witnessed things that she’s done in the past and spoken to many witnesses. He believes that she has the capability of coaching her child into making false accusations. He also knows that she is motivated a lot by money, and she’s also a very erratic individual. Easily angered, has a ” some mental issues that may cause her to act irrationally. So what her motive is, if in fact that’s what occurring, and he’s not saying that that has happened, would possibly be money or just some emotional problem that she might have.

OLBERMANN: Doubtless, your client has heard that quote that I read earlier attributed to his son by the young New Jersey man, Ahmad Elatab, that he told me he hates his parents a lot. Does the boy’s father have a reaction to that statement?

HALPERN: Well, I don’t know if my client has actually ever heard that quote and it-when I heard it myself just now, and I think I heard it about an hour ago, it reminded me of my own daughters, who are now both grown and I asked them today, I say, “Do you still hate me?” Because that’s somewhat common that children to say about their parents from time to time. So, I don’t know in what context that was said. My client, I don’t know if he ever even heard it. But, I have spoken to about my client about his relationship with his son, and he said he was very close to his son. That his son had at times, when he was with the mother and separate from my client, that he wished that he could come back and live with the father, that he did not like living with the mother.

OLBERMANN: Finally, sir, we have had all matter of updates on the health of your client’s son from the owner of a comedy store in Southern California. What do you know about how well the boy is right now?

HALPERN: OK. I cannot tell you what my source is. But, I can tell you that I have a very reliable source from a individual who would know and have reason to know about the health of the young man, and that source has told me that young man is-his condition has not changed from six months ago. He is not near death. He is not in need of any kidney transplant. That he is as healthy as he was six months ago, and I’m sure that source is probably referring to the time that he was seen on television with Michael Jackson. And, so these reports from this person that owns the comedy factory, I don’t know where he got his information. My source says that he spoke with Michael Jackson-excuse me, with the young man yesterday, and the-and said that he appeared to be fine and that there was no reason to worry.

OLBERMANN: Russell...

HALPERN: In fact, he wanted the-he wanted my client to know that.

OLBERMANN: Russell Halpern...

HALPERN: Yes sir.

OLBERMANN: ...is the attorney for the father of Michael Jackson’s accuser, we thank you for your time this evening, sir.

HALPERN: Well, thank you for, once again, for having me. Have a nice evening.

OLBERMANN: You too. Continuing the flood of information is continuing, from every source in about every topic imaginable. Coming up, a European sports franchise is now involved in all this. But, one potential wellspring of information is not going to be Michael Jackson’s current stable of employees. MSNBC.com’s Jeanette Walls reporting that Jackson’s minions must sign a quote, “incredibly prohibitive confidentiality agreement. Those deals penalize anyone who speaks about the performer or his activity at the Neverland Ranch, with a minimum $1 million fine, if the information appears in print, a $6 million penalty if comments are made on television.”

According to Jackson’s spokesmen, even visitors to Neverland are required to sign a similar agreement.

To continue the Jackson roundup, as we have seen O.J. Simpson and Kobe Bryant, and Los Angeles TV weatherman, Fritz Coleman dragged unwillingly and often unknowingly into this bizarre case, now it is an Italian pro soccer team. Jackson’s attorneys have contacted the Lazio team of the Italian A League and demanded a quote, “public apology to Mr. Jackson for the wrong, disdainful, and disrespectful behavior.”

What kind of wrong, disdainful, and disrespectful behavior are they complaining about? A banner hanging in Lazio’s Stadio Olimpico, on the 23rd of last month, which made a reference to the accusations of child abuse against Jackson. “This banner had nothing to do with the match and has been exposed to hurt and offend Jackson and his fans on purpose,” the complaint continues.

Word of advice. If you want to take on the district attorney of Santa Barbara County or an airline that permitted you to be surreptitiously video-taped, go nuts. But do not-do not tick off a bunch of European soccer fans.

Also added to our list of the unusual suspects in this endless saga, whoever that was in that car that drove around Las Vegas for three hours the night Jackson got back there, after turning himself in to the authorities in Santa Barbara, the “Las Vegas Review Journal” is suggesting that that may have been a body double in that car. “Suspicious minds,” the paper writes, “believes that a double came out of the plane and was in the car that went on the circuitous three-hour route to Green Valley Ranch. That but of chicanery would have allowed the real Jackson to be spirited off to another location,” unquote.

As you saw that night, dozens of fans greeted, who they believed was, Michael Jackson while the car was stuck in traffic. The paper has more than just speculation, it also has Lane Lassiter. Mr. Lassiter is not only a Jackson impersonator, he’s about to celebrate his 25th anniversary as one, half that time at the Rivera in Las Vegas, but he also says that about two weeks ago, unnamed representatives of Jackson’s came back stage after one of his shows, they said they had not attended Lassiter’s show, but they liked the picture he had sent them, apparently the one on the left. They asked if he would be available for an unspecified job, and they didn’t mean nose job. He did not get that job, perhaps as a double.

Lastly, it was not Michael Jackson, but his brother Jermaine, who could have used the body double. He thought he was at the United Nations in New York to attend a conference for World AIDS Day, but given how much Jermaine has said in defense of his brother, guess what subject just happened to come up in conversation?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
QUESTION: Have you talked to your brother?

QUESTION: How’s he doing?

QUESTION: Did you have Thanksgiving with your brother?

QUESTION: Did you have Thanksgiving with your brother, Jermaine?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

OLBERMANN: Good night everybody, Jermaine has left the building.

COUNTDOWN under way with your Jackson roundup and your long-term preview of tonight’s No. 1 story: Lights, camera, act-no, hold off, we don’t even know the real life ending yet.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000721.asp