Feeling a little insecure..

Saphster

I got the job that I wanted. I'm excited but...unsure now. My first day of work I was being trained by a woman older than me. I was having fun learning the new tricks of this new job. It was exciting. I'm not exactly a loud person. I don't have a loud voice. My voice is very low. And I tend to smile a lot. She told me, "C'mon don't be so shy." So I feel so ...I don't know. I was fine but she got the impression that I was nervous. But, I wasn't. And NOW I am feeling a little down. I feel like I'm not going to do well at my job. I used to have a really hard time talking to people. I speak but my voice comes out so soft spoken or broken people mistake it for weakness. I am really shy in real life but I don't let it affect my work. It's like...if you hear something enough you start to believe it. When I am told I am shy I get shy and I get nervous and I smile a lot and laugh. You can hear the nervousness in my laugh. It used to pain me to make eye contact with people. I can make eye contact now and start convo's with random people.

I feel like they won't keep me there in the future. I keep thinking they're going to say, "Oh no she is too shy, she's not cut out for this job. She can't do nothing right," one day. Today was my second day and it was cool. I'm still in training so I haven't been so hands on yet with anything. I just feel unsure.

Plus, it doesn't help that people keep reminding me that I am small. I am really short. I am like 4 9' or something like that. It's like....people have to remind me. My first day of work this customer reminded me like 3 times that I am short. My trainer said to me after the customer left, "Ok did he have to keep reminding you of your height?" I just told her it's okay I'm used to it. I know that I'm short. Every single fellow employee that I have run into have commented about my smallness. It's always the 3 sayings for me. Always. "Wow you're small! How old are you?? You look like you're 11!" People act like I should be shocked or that I don't know that I am petite. It really...almost ...well it does hurt my feelings very much. How would they feel if I said, "Wow you are fat! You look like you're 80!" or "Wow you're tall! Can birds sit on you from up there?!" I've had men get mad at me when I don't take their comments as 'compliments'. This man once said I look like a little 10 year old girl and got mad and offended and pretty much called me stupid when I didn't like his 'compliment.' It just aggravates me. It's like...leave me alone. I just don't even say anything anymore. I let them laugh and or get shocked at my smallness, and I tell them my age and hear this big deal about how I don't look my age and how I don't even look old enough to work there. After one time it's okay but constantly? Gimme a break. I've been hearing it for years. People have seen how I have changed physically. Maybe not by height but by other obvious things.

Agh. Sorry. Kinda long. Just feeling very down.

Lil MJ

If it helps, I believe in you, Saph. I know you can do the job very well. This is only your first 2 days so just take it one step at a time. Its ok to be nervous at first. Once you get the hang of it, you'll get more comfortable and be able to be a little more open and aggressive. Just take it a day at a time and learn the ropes before you start thinking these negative thoughts. Don't let it get to you. Its gonna be ok, just have faith =]

As for the comments about your size and height, that's really disrespectful to say those kinda things to you and expect you to take it as a "compliment". If we ever met in person, I'd probably smile at you and say, "Sup shawty!" but I'd mean it in a playful and friendly way and probably lift you up on purpose. I tend to do that. My girlfriend is only 5'1". She's pretty short as well and I always lift her up and spin her around on purpose. I think its really cute when girls are short =]

oldschoolfan

In regards to height, I had the complete oposite problem when I was growing up, I was taller than everyone. I hated it because I was above all my friends and most of my family, when I was in year 7 I was the tallest person in the entire school after this guy called Anthony. Plus I was really thin so I was like a freaking stick insect. I felt so lanky. Lucky for me everyone else caught up with my height so it's no big deal for me anymore.

But I do know EXACTLY what it's like to be insecure. I am so insecure about myself, the way I look, the way I talk, the way I act, I've recieved a huge deal of criticism in my life and I know that any comment someone makes even as a joke can really hit you to the core. It sucks. Even if you're unaware of it at the time, as soon as someone points it out to you it's like 'thanks, ANOTHER thing to frustrate myself with. Would you like to point out any other flaws while you're at it?'.

I do find it hard to talk to people, yes I do have some issues I am getting over that makes it hard, but I have to move on from it. I hate talking to people, I stress about how I come across, I think my face is going red, I do the 'I'm just going to laugh a little to make myself sound enthusiastic when really it's because I clueless as to what to say' laugh.

I think when people bring you down even unintentionally (or intentionally), it sticks with you. I have a lot to get over, I need to try and see myself in a different light, hence part of the reason I'm getting all the new clothes, etc., just to give myself that little boost of self confidence enough to get out and do something. And I am getting better. I used to have a lot of confidence when I was a kid, then I was payed out for being the most miserable person in the class, now I have to try and bring myself back up again, but without the help of others because they were who got my this way in the first place. I don't like to make comments about people's apperance because you never know what affect it may have on them, even if they appear to laugh it off.

A lot of people who are shorter or bigger or whatever tend to be really confident people, when I was out the other week there was a girl with us that was so short, and I mean she was almost a midget (not to sound nasty at all), but she was very loud and confident and everyone loved her, and she played on her height. We walked past a really tall person in the street and they ended up taking a photo together to make fun of themselves.
Although I am not oblivious to the fact she probably does have her insecurities, that's why she's as 'confident' as she is, a lot of people are like that. I mean what else can a person do? It's so hard to have to just live with it when it's something you can't change. You can change your hair and your clothes but you can't change your height, it sucks.

Cristine87

Girl, I'm 5'1 and it is all good. Short girls are very cute and if we're lucky we'll look young in to middle age. I've seen of pictures of you and you are extremely cute. There's nothing wrong with being short. We save money by buying from the little girls department, LMAO! You have nothing to feel insecure about. Us Latina girls are little things but we're feisty as hell!

privacy

I totally feel your pain on the shy front. I am always shy and softly spoken when I start a job but within the month I'm more confident and people realise it's just how I am, rather than 'too shy'. I'm sure there won't be a problem :)
I'm 5'2" (just lol) and I get reminded of it all the time. I don't mind so much.. but it can get annoying when it's constantly mentioned. Like we didn't know, huh? :) I've learnt to just smile sweetly, gets customers out the way quicker with less attitude :)

Saph, I think we are about the same height or maybe I'm an inch taller lol and I am fat! So, don't feel insecure... You are pretty, feel that way rather than your smallness... Okay? :wink And smile a lot! I giggled a lot and a lot of our patients whether old, or middle aged or younger patients, male or female, they're happy when I am working, they love my giggles.. I am happy when I hear that from them.. I can think of Michael when I giggle! :dreamy: so what you'll do, think of Mike's beautiful smile when you smile rather than focusing on "our" smallness, heheheheheh.... Goodluck on your job! :wink

OneMoreChance

Saph, just take adeep breath! You'll be ok. New jobs are always a little scary at first. I remember my last job (also my fav job ever) seemed very difficult when I first started. I worked for a company that monitored people on house arrest. One of the parole agents we worked with was actually at the SBPD when Michael turned himself in. She called the center and I answered the phone and she told me what was going on and I said "Oh can you yell to him that I love him and believe in him?" I think she thought I was nuts. Anyway, when I first started that job it all seemed very complicated and fast pace. I remember thinking when I got home " What the hell did I get myself into?" I picked up on everything pretty well and within a year I was an assistant supervisor. Just relax you'll be ok!

Saphster

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support and pep talks. Yes you can change hair and clothes but not height. I could take those pills...some kind of pills that make you taller. Not alot...just a few inches. But then I would look skinnier since I'm already skinny now. lol

And I'm still working on the shyness. Ever notice how it's easier to be yourself on the ONLINE world? Why is that? Why can't we be the way we are online in real life? :lol

Jen, you're gonna have to give me more details. Details details! Tell us everything!!! :eek: You think they ever gave Michael the message? Or yelled it to him? LOL I wonder...

OneMoreChance

Saphster;235415 said:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support and pep talks. Yes you can change hair and clothes but not height. I could take those pills...some kind of pills that make you taller. Not alot...just a few inches. But then I would look skinnier since I'm already skinny now. lol

And I'm still working on the shyness. Ever notice how it's easier to be yourself on the ONLINE world? Why is that? Why can't we be the way we are online in real life? :lol

Jen, you're gonna have to give me more details. Details details! Tell us everything!!! :eek: You think they ever gave Michael the message? Or yelled it to him? LOL I wonder...

Who knows? I told her to tell him my name! I wonder too! She was too excited at the thought of Michael being put on house arrest so we could monitor him. I was not to pleased at the thought. Even thought it might have meant a chance to talk to him, I didn't want it to be under those circumstances. "Ok Mr. Jackson here is how you hook up your house arrest equipment." No thanks. We did have David Hasselhoff on it at one point in time. He was on out breath alcohol system. It takes your pic as you blow into a straw and it gives you a BAC. Well David apparently forgot that it took your pic, because he did one naked!:8-26-03yuk:

Saphster

Jeniffer30;235425 said:
Who knows? I told her to tell him my name! I wonder too! She was too excited at the thought of Michael being put on house arrest so we could monitor him. I was not to pleased at the thought. Even thought it might have meant a chance to talk to him, I didn't want it to be under those circumstances. "Ok Mr. Jackson here is how you hook up your house arrest equipment." No thanks. We did have David Hasselhoff on it at one point in time. He was on out breath alcohol system. It takes your pic as you blow into a straw and it gives you a BAC. Well David apparently forgot that it took your pic, because he did one naked!:8-26-03yuk:

Wow! Not a great site. :lol

But...imagine if you ...nevermind. It is so wrong to think the way I am thinking right now! :oops: You're right it wouldn't have been understand the best circumstances to meet Michael like that. But, if he would have been on house arrest why was she so excited? :lol Everyone is interested in Michael whether they hate or like or in our cases love him like crazy.

oldschoolfan

Jeniffer30;235425 said:

Ahahaha you saw his doodle! :rollin

OneMoreChance

Saphster;235433 said:
Wow! Not a great site. :lol

But...imagine if you ...nevermind. It is so wrong to think the way I am thinking right now! :oops: You're right it wouldn't have been understand the best circumstances to meet Michael like that. But, if he would have been on house arrest why was she so excited? :lol Everyone is interested in Michael whether they hate or like or in our cases love him like crazy.

I have thought about it a million times! The what ifs? *sigh* She was so excited because on top of being a parole officer she ran a bond agency. She would make money off it it.

Cristine87

Jeniffer30;235437 said:
I have thought about it a million times! The what ifs? *sigh* She was so excited because on top of being a parole officer she ran a bond agency. She would make money off it it.

Poor Michael! Always representing a dollar sign to someone!

oldschoolfan

Ugh, it's so unbelievable, it almost seems like it couldn't possibly be true that so many people are really that greedy. But sadly, it is...