Harvey Levin: Ray Hultman Update (Sept 12 2005)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
CNN Headline News

SHOWBIZ TONIGHT

Aired September 12, 2005 - 19:00:00 ET

A.J. HAMMER, CO-HOST: Time now for the "Legal Lowdown," a look at the top legal stories in the world of entertainment. Tonight, the Michael Jackson trial is over, of course, but another bizarre turn in the story of the jury. A juror is actually suing to get out of one of those book deals we were recently talking about.

Right now, joining us live to give us the "Legal Lowdown" from Hollywood, investigative journalist and attorney Harvey Levin.

Let`s get to the Michael Jackson juror, Ray Hultman, Harvey. He had signed this book deal. He was all set to write about his experiences on the jury, and now he wants out of the deal. What`s the story here?

HARVEY LEVIN, INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST: I mean, I hate to say this, A.J. This guy is just a jerk. I mean, you know, he says he was completely sandbagged on the jury because he really felt Michael Jackson was guilty. Now he`s saying that he was hoodwinked by this book publisher that he signed with, even though he shouldn`t have signed, because you`re not supposed to within 90 days of a verdict.

He says he had no idea what he was getting into, the book publisher deceived him. So this guy is the world`s greatest victim. And now he`s trying to get out from under the deal that he struck with the publisher.

HAMMER: And now, not only trying to get out of the deal, but he`s seeking damages of some sort?

LEVIN: For emotional distress. I mean, the most overwrought jury in the history of America. I mean, it is absolutely ridiculous.

This guy signed a deal that he knew he shouldn`t have signed to begin with. He came up with this crazy story that he had to say not guilty or else he would have been kicked off the jury.

When you think about it, well, then get kicked off the jury rather than doing what you don`t think is just. So, I mean, this guy is so in left field right now that, you know, my great hope and wish is that he will simply go away.

HAMMER: Well, before...

LEVIN: And by the way...

HAMMER: Yes?

LEVIN: And by the way, he`s saying that his reputation was damaged, as if he`s John Grisham and can`t write any more books, like this guy has some kind of a track record to begin with. This lawsuit is absurd.

HAMMER: And just real quickly on that, you know, you`ve never been shy about your opinion of him having this book deal and about the fact that he`s gone on record saying that Jackson -- he shouldn`t have said Jackson is not guilty.

In this lawsuit that he`s pushing forward, is that going to affect him, do you think? Do you think -- if you were on the jury, I know how it was go, anyway.

LEVIN: I mean, he has absolutely -- look, you`re dealing with a guy who signed a book deal that he shouldn`t have signed in the first place. And now one of the reasons he`s trying to get out of it is he`s saying to the judge, "I shouldn`t have signed it, so let me out."

I mean, this guy wants everything. And, you know, I would not believe him if his tongue came notarized.

HAMMER: Appreciate you joining us tonight, Harvey. Have a good night.

LEVIN: OK, A.J.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0509/12/sbt.01.html

JordanMC

Haha. I've always appreciated Harvey. Thanks for this transcript. This update was only a week ago!!! We all wish Hultman would just go away.

Silviaj80

yes, it's nice this transcript.
Now I see that Hultman is getting afraid for all the unavoidable consequences for telling those lies about MJ!