How Do you Do This?

Tiger Lilly

I hope you don't mind me using your siggy as an example Kelly.

MJizzy.gif

How do you make the colour eg from Michael's glasses go across the whole blend? I dunno if its the same effect but someone had writing in their siggy and it left faint blur marks, except it didn't go across the whole blend. How do you do it? I see theres an effect called wind but it looks different. Can someone help me please?

Kelly281

No problem Gemma, I've got a tutorial for it so I'll just post that, hope it helps :).

Here's how to use the singular marquee tools; yes they actually do serve a purpose.

Use them when you want to select just a single pixel wide or long across the entire document. You must be on an active layer (that you want to copy from) to do this. Just click where you want in the image and then Ctrl J to get a new layer of this 1 pixel selection.

Another note: If you have many layers that you want to copy with your marquee (or any selection) you?ll want to use Edit: copy merged; this will ensure that you use all visible layers.
Use Edit Free Transform. With the transform bars just drag them all the way to the edge of the document. You?re just stretching out this one pixel representation.

Note that the pixels being stretched do represent the range of color across the width or height of the selection; orange for the sky, etc...

This technique is used all the time in techno-collages and flyers, etc. With your help we can help oversaturate the world with too many pixel stretches.

Press enter to apply the ?transformation?.

You can also apply the same technique to the horizontal marquee tool.

Toggle through different tools with the Shift and keyboard shortcut key. Note that because the single marquees don?t have a keyboard shortcut next to them (they aren?t worthy enough) they aren?t included in the tool switching.
An important note when doing all of this: you must have an active, visible layer selected/highlighted in the layers palette. You cannot copy from a hidden layer.

You?ll have to switch back to the original image (background layer) in the layers palette and hide the first stretch pixel layer (unless you want to actually do a pixel stretch off of that). Then go through with the stretch method.

This is a very important point for beginners...if you?re wondering what's going on, there's a good chance you need to check your layers palette to make sure everything?s kosher. If you think it would help to sink this information in even more than you definitely will want the Basic Photoshop DVD training with over 8 hours of quality Photoshop training. Many techniques and tools are also taught in combination so you get comfortable with complete operational efficiency.

Edit: Free Transform again.

Hey ya, pretty snazzy. Uh-oh, we?re almost getting into ?design? stuff. I?m trying to keep that separate from Basic Photoshop training. Check out Photoshopdesigner .com for all that good stuff or Photoshopdesign.net . They?ll be there when you?re ready to move on to the next steps.

But hey, I?ll give you a little taste of design (because we?re using a lot of basic tools and techniques here). Drag in a selection you?ve made in another document. The Korean girl works out nice with the background.

Remember that you can also change the size of layers with edit: transform and you can also flip them, change blend modes, etc.

Here I?m showing you both the vertical and horizontal pixel stretched layers. Note that the foreground layer is the uppermost in the layers palette.

For fun you could try a pixel stretch off of the girl to work with similar colors and make that the background. Pixel stretch off of anything..it might make it more interesting. Then you can have people guess where it actually came from.

Get complete Basic Photoshop training here for the lowest price on the market anywhere.

Sorry it's a bit long but I thought it'd explain it all alot better than I could :).

Tiger Lilly

Kellyyyyyy thank you, girl! :blowkisse I'm give it a whirl tomoz cos it's like... *looks at clock* 1:30am. :laugh I'll post my terrible attempt tomoz to give you a laugh. :laugh