Jacko\'s Invincible Off the Charts (Feb 20 2002)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
For archival purposes.

Jacko's Invincible Off the Charts

In modern lingo, if something is "off the charts" that usually means it's huge, big stuff, so good you can't measure it.

Unfortunately for Michael Jackson, in his case "off the charts" means precisely and exactly that. If the numbers hold up, his album Invincible has fallen out of the top 50 after less than 5 months. Last week, Invincible was No. 35.

Jackson's problems are only now beginning to manifest themselves. Financially, he is in hot water without much to fall back on. Sony commercially released only one single from Invincible – "Rock My World" – and has hesitated to put out another one. For several weeks they attempted to get "Butterflies" on the radio, had some success, then scheduled the single. But at the end of January the company changed its mind. Another single, "Unbreakable," is headed for European, but not American release.

This means that a record that cost $30 million, made by a singer with a $200 million loan, has no current single on the radio.

Additionally, as I reported last week, Jackson has never fulfilled his promise of releasing his charity single, "What More Can I Give?"

What will happen next? My sources say that the $200 million loan situation is going to fester. Sony Music can call the note on the loan at any time. And their fiscal year ends March 31, which is coming soon. If Jackson can't come up with the funds to pay them back, he will likely lose his rights to the Beatles song catalogue.

And that may not be all. The current climate in the recording business is so bad that Jackson could find himself, like Mariah Carey, shopping for a new home. Invincible may be double platinum, but that doesn't account for the massive returns, which Sony will likely incur soon. When those numbers are in, Neverland's Al the Chimp may have to start swinging from a new vine.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,46065,00.html