Jackson Back In Public\'s Eye, Boston Globe article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the public's eye, Jackson wisely takes things slow

By Renee Graham, Globe Staff | September 20, 2005

He's back.

Quietly and carefully, Michael Jackson is emerging from his self-imposed exile. Little has been heard from the entertainer since he was acquitted of all charges in June after his five-month child molestation trial. For the past few months, he's been staying in Bahrain, as a guest of Crown Prince Abdullah.

Now, Jackson is taking tentative steps back into the public eye. Shortly after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast, he announced he would write and record a charity single, with all proceeds slated to benefit the storm's victims. Jackson hopes to enlist other artists' participation on the song, to be called ''From the Bottom of My Heart." According to a Jackson spokeswoman, Mariah Carey, James Brown, and Snoop Dogg will appear on the track, which does not yet have a release date.

And, in recent days, Jackson has made his first public comments. He told the Associated Press he's been ''resting and recovering" since his trial, which he called ''the hardest thing I've ever done in my life."

It's all as understated as it is deliberate, and so far it seems like Jackson is making all the right moves. Perhaps after his now-infamous televised interview with Martin Bashir -- the one in which he appeared holding hands with the teenage boy who would later accuse him of molestation -- Jackson seems to have a hard-learned understanding of how and when to use the media.

For most of his trial, Jackson's Kabuki-like face was a constant on the network newscasts and morning shows. And on cable, it was all Jackson, all the time with hollow heads such as CNN Headline News' Nancy Grace and CNN's Larry King giving his trial the kind of coverage once reserved for world-shaking events like war -- which was kind of sad, since there actually was a war going on.

Despite his surprising acquittal, five months of ''Jesus juice," tawdry testimony, and Jackson's odd in-court fashion statements further damaged the singer's already-shaky reputation. So Jackson did the best thing he could possibly do -- he disappeared. Save for a letter on his official website thanking fans for acknowledging his 47th birthday on Aug. 29, Jackson has been uncharacteristically quiet.

Now Jackson and his advisers are trying to get the onetime superstar's career and reputation back on track. Of course, he'll never again be what he was during the ''Thriller" era; even without the nasty allegations, those days were already long past.

Yet Jackson isn't ready to end his career as a late-night talk show punch line. People may look cynically at his efforts to help hurricane victims, but he does have an established record with this kind of philanthropy. With Lionel Richie, he cowrote ''We Are the World," the 1985 mega-hit featuring such artists as Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Bob Dylan. The charity single, which won a Grammy for song of the year, raised more than $50 million for African famine relief.

If this were just about getting good press, Jackson would have done something more public in regard to hurricane relief efforts. He might have gotten on to one of the numerous concerts and telethons held in the immediate wake of the storm, and bogarted the limelight away from far more important issues.

Yet with a charity single, he can generate attention with the last true thing he may possess -- his talent. At the same time, he can prove he isn't radioactive among his fellow artists, if they prove willing to work with him on the song. (On the other hand, let's just hope that rumors of R. Kelly's participation are just that -- rumors.)

Once, Jackson probably would have taken the typical tack of celebrities in need of career rehab. He'd have let the networks claw at one another for an interview before plopping down on a couch for the inevitable prime-time conversation with Diane Sawyer or Katie Couric. Instead, Jackson seems finally to understand that the world isn't all about him. And in reaching out to help those whose lives were ravaged by this nation's worst natural disaster, Jackson, whose problems have often been self-inflicted, may have finally found a way to help himself.

:3nav http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/article...es_things_slow/

Kanya

Instead, Jackson seems finally to understand that the world isn't all about him. ...that is one untrue comment! Very mean of whoever Graham may be!...

Save for a letter on his official website thanking fans for acknowledging his 47th birthday on Aug. 29, Jackson has been uncharacteristically quiet....another revolting comment! First they are calling Michael a person from a "self-imposed exile", a recluse or whatever, and then they are spinning outrageous yarns that it is not in his nature to be quiet, when he is: the proof of staying away from the spotlight for quite a long time in between the promotional tours and the like...

The media is never quiet and never will be! I don't know, but the writer's comments in this article has left me anything but composed...I mean, "Jackson wisely takes things slow"? When did Michael not take things slow? He has never created album after album in brief periods of time, the media never took things slow because they were always occupied with weaving tissue after tissue of hellish inventions of the most inhumane kind, making it sound as though Michael is the one not taking it slow, not them!...

And I resent those that create cheap articles containing the word "Jackson", without the first name being mentioned....Only criminals' names are used that way, or those belonging to any type of pariah, immigrant or effectiveless politician's category...Shame on them! Michael is not worthy of being called names, demeaning appelations or coldest half-of-names, and they do not know that such words injure him and will never demean his warmest, gentle personhood and will never make him half-a-man, but only the denouncers!

privacy

I don't think the article was too bad. The 'uncharacteristically quiet' comment (to me anyhow) was true from that persons p.o.v. Michael has and always will be on the news and on tv. That's why some people think he's everywhere.. so when he takes a break like he did recently it surprises them.

I don't think it was meant horribly at all.

frozen rose

I agree with you Acy.

I think some areas were based on fact, like 'uncharacteristically quiet', that was literally saying that he was taking a break, and being anonymous for a while. So, the only comment that seemed, out of the ordinary, was 'Instead, Jackson seems finally to understand that the world isn't all about him', that is really an understatement.

I personally thought that it was quite a postive article, consider that a collection of journalists would have just taken the opportunity to condemn and label Michael if they were to write an article about his reappearance into the public's eye. I think the Journalist was rather honest and she put her feelings across quite successfully, aside from the few snide and ignorant comments interjected throughout it.

I'm glad that the writer choose to focus on Michael's efforts to bring relief to an area of devasation because it makes people realise that Michael is a humanitarian who has a history of supporting organisation's which bring happyness to people's lives. It's a diverse change from all of the reporter's primarily concentrating on the trial and other apects of his lifestyle. Remember that this person is most probably not fan of Michael so she needs to show some objectivety as to not be accused of being "bias"

All in all, I would give this artcile 8/10. It's a shame about those sarcastic comments though.

Silviaj80

The best thing of that is that MJ is at least ok. And I truly hope he's feeling better now and has recovered some weight.

If I were to give a vote to this Boston article, I'd give 6--,
just for those ridiculous and mistaken comments which show (for me of course) the lack of professionalism of the writer.

But for the rest, I'm happy that he's trying to do something for somebody who needs help...

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I'll say here what I've said at mjjf about this piece of nonsense: The article is full of bull$hit wrapped in a half-assed attempt not to totally alienate the Boston Globe. This is not a "good" article. It is filled with personal insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.