Larry King Live : Donald Trump Blasts Indictment (April 21 2004)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
CNN LARRY KING LIVE

Interview With Donald Trump, Cast of 'Apprentice'

Aired April 21, 2004 - 21:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

OK, we're not going to take the break. No one told me not to take the break, and I was going to take the break. I only work here. Do what they tell me.

OK, we're going to go -- we got a special news report. Let's go to Santa Barbara for Miguel Marquez with this very important story -- Miguel.

MIGUEL MARQUEZ, CNN CORRESPONDENT: It's a story that will not seem to go away there, Larry. CNN has confirmed through two different sources that a grand jury that's been meeting for 13 days here in Santa Barbara to hear testimony and consider charges, charges of child molestation against pop star Michael Jackson has in fact indicted Michael Jackson. It's not clear what exactly those charges are at this point. We expect to know more about those charges soon. Certainly, though, this means that Mr. Jackson will be back in court to be re-arraigned. Most likely that date will be next Friday, the 30th, where he will have to be re-arraigned on whatever charges the grand jury handed up today -- Larry.

KING: Thank you, Miguel. That big story out of Santa Barbara. Michael Jackson, indicted. We don't have the particulars of the indictment. But CNN now confirms he has been indicted.

We'll be back with our remaining moments after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We've just received this release from Michael Jackson's attorneys, Mark Geragos, Benjamin Brafman, Steve Cochran and Robert Sanger, saying if an indictment is returned and Mr. Jackson is required to appear in court on April 30, and that is now a fact, he will appear and enter a plea of not guilty. Mr. Jackson and his attorneys are confident that after a trial on these charges, Mr. Jackson will be fully exonerated, and that the allegations contained in the indictment will be shown to be patently false.

Mr. Jackson and his attorneys remind the public that an indictment is merely a formal accusation. We also remind the public that Michael Jackson, like any other person accused of a crime, is presumed to be innocent.

In this case, Mr. Jackson is not just presumed to be innocent, but is in fact innocent. Michael is looking forward to his day in court and wishes to thank the millions of fans throughout the world who continue to support him during this difficult period.

I know you know him, Donald. Any reaction to this?

TRUMP: Well, I know him very well. He's lived in my buildings. He's lived in Trump Tower, and I know him very well. And I don't believe it. I'm going to stick up for him, because nobody else is. But I don't believe it.

And if you look at the mother of this young man, she has had plenty of experience at going after people. And she goes after them viciously and violently, and I saw a story and I read another story about some of the things she's done.

And I don't believe it. He lived in Trump Tower. I knew what was happening with Michael Jackson. You know what was happening? Absolutely nothing. I had many people that worked for me in the building, and believe me, they would tell me if anything was wrong.

And after many years, he didn't do a damn thing wrong in the building. So I really believe it's this mother, and I think it's somebody out there that wants to get a lot of publicity for himself by indicting Michael Jackson.

KING: You know what it's like when an indictment comes down.

TRUMP: It's tough.

KING: And its presumption.

TRUMP: It's tough. It's tough to win. But I have a feeling he is going to win, Larry.

Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/040.../21/lkl.00.html