Liza Minnelli blames Michael for her marriage to David Guest

oldschoolfan

'New York, New York' singer Liza Minnelli blamed her friend, late pop star Michael Jackson, for allowing her to marry ''idiot'' concert promoter David Gest in 2002.

Liza Minnelli blamed Michael Jackson for allowing her to marry an "idiot".

The 'New York, New York' singer - whose fourth wedding, to concert promoter David Gest, took place in 2002, with their pal Michael acting as best man - spoke to the late pop legend after the lavish ceremony and begged him to explain why he had allowed to go through with it.

She said: "I grabbed him when I saw him when I got out of there. And I said, 'Why did you let me marry this idiot?' He said, 'I thought you liked him! You look so happy. Your dress was so beautiful. I don't know. Let me go!' And I said, 'Michael, how could you.' He said, 'It's over, relax.' Then we looked at each other and we started to laugh, we really started to laugh."

Liza - who divorced David just 16 months later - refuses to refer to her former spouse by his name and only recently discovered he hadn't paid a penny towards the star-studded nuptials.

She explained in an interview on 'The Joy Behar Show': "You know something terrible? I only found out I paid for that wedding about five months ago. I said to somebody, 'Well - I'll never mention his name again - but at least it was pretty. It should be it cost however much money it cost.' And they said, 'Yeah, well you paid for it.' Did I think he had paid for it? Oh sure, I didn't know."

Although the 64-year-old star - who has also been married to Peter Allen, Jack Haley Jr. and Mark Gero - regrets her most recent marriage, she finds many aspects of the relationship amusing.

She added: "Some of the things make me laugh so hard when I look back. It was funny though, it was really funny."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... ge_1144071

I sort of don't get this, was she genuinely blaming Michael for it or was it just a joke?

Chosen

Definitely a joke! I could imagine how the two of them interacted about this! It would have been funny to see!!!

OneMoreChance

I think it was a joke also. Have you ever did or said something stupid and then looked at your friends and said "Why the hell did you let me do/say that?". It's just friends joking with each other. I can totally picture it in my mind to! Michael looking all innocent "I thought you liked him!". :hilarious

OneMoreChance

You know what I've noticed? Whenever a celebrity does an interview these days if the mention Michael or something that happened with Michael that's the headline for the video. Who knows how long Liza's interview was (with Joy of all people) and Michael was what a 20 second part of it? But that's the headline for the video. Just goes to show you how hungry the media is for anything that concerns Michael.

Cristine87

[quote name="Jeniffer30"]You know what I've noticed? Whenever a celebrity does an interview these days if the mention Michael or something that happened with Michael that's the headline for the video. Who knows how long Liza's interview was (with Joy of all people) and Michael was what a 20 second part of it? But that's the headline for the video. Just goes to show you how hungry the media is for anything that concerns Michael.[/quote]
I know that's sorta annoying and misleading!

oldschoolfan

[quote name="Jeniffer30"]You know what I've noticed? Whenever a celebrity does an interview these days if the mention Michael or something that happened with Michael that's the headline for the video. Who knows how long Liza's interview was (with Joy of all people) and Michael was what a 20 second part of it? But that's the headline for the video. Just goes to show you how hungry the media is for anything that concerns Michael.[/quote]

What bugs me is when friends or relatives of Michael talk to people who despise him, like Joy or Oprah. I've seen Janet talk about Michael on Oprah before and it just kills the whole thing when all I can think about is what THEY must be thinking, is it on the tip of their tongue to bring up something nasty, why are they faking that they give a shit when everyone knows what the reality is, etc.. I wonder how Whoopi can talk about Michael next to Joy. I wonder how Joy can be nice while Whoopi is around and then go on her other show and call Michael a molester.

Cristine87

What bugs me is when friends or relatives of Michael talk to people who despise him, like Joy or Oprah. I've seen Janet talk about Michael on Oprah before and it just kills the whole thing when all I can think about is what THEY must be thinking, is it on the tip of their tongue to bring up something nasty, why are they faking that they give a shit when everyone knows what the reality is, etc.. I wonder how Whoopi can talk about Michael next to Joy. I wonder how Joy can be nice while Whoopi is around and then go on her other show and call Michael a molester.

OMG, seriously! I couldn't do it. I would've told these people "Sorry, but you've talked too much sh*t and I'm not about to be on your raggedy ass show so you can be two-faced" and hung up the phone.

Teva

[quote name="Cristine87"]

OMG, seriously! I couldn't do it. I would've told these people "Sorry, but you've talked too much sh*t and I'm not about to be on your raggedy ass show so you can be two-faced" and hung up the phone.[/quote]

I am with both of you on this one. I had the misfortune of watching Oprah's token fake tribute to MJ, she could have saved herself and her viewer the torture of the hour. It was as plain as day this was something she felt obligated to do, but did not want to do. She constantly qualify, and justified her 1993 interview by saying it was before, the allegations. I like Oprah, sometimes, I think she is a humanitarian, but if you have no love for MJ then shut the **** up and give a proper tribute to the celebrities you do love. When Michael Jackson died Harpo pulled every video on the internet of the 1993 interview.

As for Joy, I like her position on MJ more than Oprah's. Joy is open that she believes Michael was a molester. She is on a tabloid show and doesn't masqurade it as real journalism. She is ignorant of facts, and seem happy that way. Oprah is more sly with her feelings.

Now for their guests. :cantfigureout I dont know what they are thinking. Why would a close friend of MJ talk to these people it makes no sense. All I can put it down to is that they don't know any better. I know what Joy & Oprah they have said because I learnt it from you guys or saw their hate on MJ shows. I really have to believe these people don't watch tv. The worst of all was Dr. Susan Etok, that one allowed herself to be interviewed by Diane Dimond, then had the nerve to tell fans she thought Michael had buried the hatchet. Opps I almost forgot AK constantly runs to TMZ.

Ellen Degeneres could interview MJ friends anytime in my book!

oldschoolfan

[quote name="Teva"]
Ellen Degeneres could interview MJ friends anytime in my book![/quote]

Testify! I wish Ellen interviewed Michael, that would have been one of, if not the single greatest MJ interview ever. She has more taste than most others, she doesn't talk bad on celebrities. She seems to follow Michael's saying that a real entertainer doesn't talk crap on other entertainers.

oldschoolfan

[quote name="oldschoolfan"]
[quote name="Teva"]
Ellen Degeneres could interview MJ friends anytime in my book![/quote]

Testify! I saw Eddie Murphy on there the other day and they were talking about Michael. I'm glad with Ellen I don't have to get myself into a panic that something might be said. I wish Ellen interviewed Michael, that would have been one of, if not the single greatest MJ interview ever. She has more taste than most others, she doesn't talk bad on celebrities. She seems to follow Michael's saying that a real entertainer doesn't talk crap on other entertainers.[/quote]

Teva

Testify! I saw Eddie Murphy on there the other day and they were talking about Michael. I'm glad with Ellen I don't have to get myself into a panic that something might be said. I wish Ellen interviewed Michael, that would have been one of, if not the single greatest MJ interview ever. She has more taste than most others, she doesn't talk bad on celebrities. She seems to follow Michael's saying that a real entertainer doesn't talk crap on other entertainers.[/quote]

I know. She dances to his music on her show, she likes to play pranks the way he did, and she has this love me or leave me Michael-esque attitude.

I am really dreading June. :(

OneMoreChance

[quote name="Teva"]

I know. She dances to his music on her show, she likes to play pranks the way he did, and she has this love me or leave me Michael-esque attitude.

I am really dreading June. :([/quote]

I think we all are. I have decided to plan something fun that i can look forward to that day. Michael wouldn't want us to be so sad. So I was looking online and saw that Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bret Michaels are having a concert here on the 25th. So me and my new guy are gonna go. I figured a concert what better way to celebrate Michael then with music!

OneMoreChance

[quote name="oldschoolfan"]I know this is slightly off topic, but did I manage to quote my own comment earlier?[/quote]
:hilarious I think you did, Amy! I hate the way quoting works with this software.! I can't wait until we have enough money to get that new software!

Saphster

I don't see anything that suggests Liza "blamed" Michael for marrying David. It was just an exchange between friends. Funny. I could sort of imagine this scene in my head. I love reading quotes that Michael said. They always excite me. Even it's the simplest thing. Like his favorite color or foods.

oldschoolfan

That's exactly what I thought when I read this article, I saw the title and thought 'she WHAT?!', then when I read it I didn't see the problem and got confused as to if she was actually BLAMING him for anything. The thing that really confuses me though is whether or not this was immediately after they got married, if she didn't want to marry hi in the first place.