No wonder Jurors found AEG Live "Not Guilty"

Dialdancer

No wonder AEG was found not guilty of Michael Jackson's wrongful death at the hands on their employee Conrad Murray.

Headlines from LA Times
Live updates: Michael Jackson jury explains why it sided with AEG

:cantfigureout Michael Jackson jury?????  And here I thought AEG Live was on trial? 

I thought it was the AEG jury?  Well that explains a lot.  :huh  The jury thought Michael was on trial....They thought AEG Live was the Plaintiff.  Easy enough to see how that could happen.
  :idontknow

By Jeff Gottlieb, Ruben Vives, Victoria Kim This post has been corrected. Please see below for details.

October 2, 2013, 4:53 p.m.

Jurors in the Michael Jackson wrongful-death case sided with AEG Live that the singer's death was a tragedy -- but not one for which the concert promoter was responsible.

After three days of deliberations, the jury unanimously agreed that AEG Live hired the doctor, who gave the singer a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol. But they said Dr. Conrad Murray was competent and awarded no money to the pop star's family.

"There are really no winners in this," jury foreman Gregg Barden said. "Somebody had to die for us to be here. ... It was really a tragic situation."

Barden said the jurors struggled with questions about Murray. They found him competent to serve as a general practitioner -- he had a medical license from an accredited university.

"We felt he was competent," Barden said. "That doesn’t mean we felt he was ethical. If ethical was in the question, it might have been a different outcome. In the end, he was very unethical. He did something he shouldn’t have done. "

Attorneys for the family had said that economic damages could surpass $1 billion. They wanted each of Jackson's children awarded $85 million and another $35 million paid to Katherine Jackson.

Jackson’s mother and three children brought the lawsuit, saying AEG Live hired and supervised Murray.

In a written statement, AEG's lead attorney, Marvin Putnam said: “The jury’s decision completely vindicates AEG Live, confirming what we have known from the start -- that although Michael Jackson’s death was a terrible tragedy, it was not a tragedy of AEG Live’s making."

Randy Phillips, an AEG executive named in the lawsuit, said in a statement: "We lost one of the world’s greatest musical geniuses, but I am relieved and deeply grateful that the jury recognized that neither I, nor anyone else at AEG Live, played any part in Michael’s tragic death."

Katherine Jackson left the courthouse without talking to reporters.

The case, which delved into Jackson’s drug use, his emotional state and his physical health, never strayed far from the central question of whether it was the singer himself who was to blame for his own demise by insisting on hiring the doctor who killed him, or AEG for directing and controlling the physician.

Several fans had gathered to hear the verdict.

"I don't like it," said Leslie Cole, 41. "I really don't like it."

Barbara De L'orme, 42, of Studio City, wore a T-shirt with a picture of Katherine Jackson. She said she felt devastated by the verdict.

"My heart is broken," she said. "This was the greatest artist that we ever had and they treated him like this. The evidence was right there."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-michael-jackson-jury-reaches-verdict-in-wrongful-death-case-20131002,0,2366136.story

Dialdancer

While the Media circus surrounding this verdict was nowhere as large as was during 2005 or 2011 there were a few similarities.  In 2005 there were plenty Media in attendance, but the important stuff was dumped in the trash on the way out the courtroom.  This left talking heads, aspiring Tabloid Divas and the masters of dramatic sound bites and spin to either share notes like kids who refuse to study for a test or to grandstand on their particular program proving they were all seeing, all knowing and all reporting.

We learned a few interesting facts about the AEG trial.  The Plaintiff and some MJ Fans wanted this trial televised.  The Media claimed they did as well, but I personally have my doubts about their sincerity.  The Defense did not want camera and I suspect neither did the Judge. (Later on camera she would display an inability to control her facial expressions)  The trial was not televised until the closing agreements where miraculously the trial was moved to a larger Courtroom and the cameras were allowed in.  According to reports neither Plaintiff nor Defense wanted cameras for this.  Until cameras were allowed in the Courtroom 99.9% of the Media studiously ignored anything of relevance.  There were reports of Attorneys bickering and what Mrs. Jackson wore.  The Media did report of R. Phillips slapping an inebriated Michael, but that wasn't done to show what the artist was dealing with, but rather to paint another poor picture of Michael.  Even when it came to reporting about documents not know, seen or signed by Michael, but which would be acted upon after his death the Media made it sound like it was his fault. 

There was an intense if short lived avalanche of Media who came to give their knowledgeable input to the verdict.  CNN.... THREW... together a "special" capitalizing on the fact they had not reported any substantial information to their viewers.  If you look closely what you see is pieces of an aborted part 2 of a "special" which was slated for HLN’s InSession during the Murray trial.  There were the usual suspects, Dimond & Grace who held forth on why the Jury got it right.  Dr. Drew's analysis made no sense and had nothing to do with the questions put to the Jurors.  If they could claim they once had a law degree, once took a business law course or dated someone who took a law course they seem to believe they were qualified to explain without bias or prejudice what was right or wrong with the Jurors decision.  Of course 99.9% found nothing wrong except.......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZSh4eM77Q[/youtube]

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah why would they televise the verdict and not the actual trial? That made no sense to me at all.
Don't even get me started on the rest of that $hit...