Official May 20 2005 thread

Aaliyah

MJ trial could end early
From correspondents in Santa Maria
May 21, 2005

THE defence in pop icon Michael Jackson's child molestation trial could rest its case by early next week, a prosecutor told the court in California today.

"We are approaching the end of this trial rapidly. The defence has indicated it may be prepared to rest by Tuesday," prosecutor Ron Zonen said.

The comments came after Jackson's lead lawyer Thomas Mesereau told the judge midweek that he could close his case sooner than expected after dramatically scaling back his list of witnesses.

When trial Judge Rodney Melville told him that he ought to keep defence witnesses coming as "we still have several weeks to go", Mr Mesereau replied: "I think a number of weeks is an overstatement of the amount of time we'll need here."

US television networks NBC and ABC have quoted sources as saying that the jury could begin deliberating on the fate of the 46-year-old Jackson by the first week in June.

When jury selection started on January 31, Melville said he expected proceedings to last about six months.

Opening arguments commenced on February 28 and the prosecution rested its case in early May.

Jackson has denied 10 charges that he molested a 13-year-old cancer patient, plied him with alcohol and held him and his family prisoner in early 2003.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15359...13-1702,00.html

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Please. I'll believe it when I see it. I think the prosecution WANTS the defense's case to be over b/c they've been beaten into the dust by the defense.

Originally posted by whisper
Please. I'll believe it when I see it. I think the prosecution WANTS the defense's case to be over b/c they've been beaten into the dust by the defense.

My sentiments exactly.... :sneddoncrybaby

Aaliyah

Jackson defense may rest early next week, prosecution says
LINDA DEUTSCH
Associated Press

SANTA MARIA, Calif. - The defense in Michael Jackson's child molestation trial may rest early next week, a prosecutor told the court Friday.

"We're approaching the end of trial," Senior Deputy District Attorney Ron Zonen told Judge Rodney S. Melville. "The defense has indicated they may be resting as early as next Tuesday."

Zonen revealed the schedule change in the course of requesting that the defense rapidly turn over materials related to the testimony of Jackson's former attorney Mark Geragos.

Defense attorneys did not contradict the statement but did not comment on it.

The defense had said at the outset that their side would last about six weeks or possibly up to eight weeks. A list of more than 300 possible defense witnesses that was submitted included such celebrities as Kobe Bryant, Elizabeth Taylor, Diana Ross and Jay Leno.

But after opening the defense on May 5, they presented a rapid succession of witnesses who supported Jackson's claim that he did not molest a 13-year-old boy and that there was no a conspiracy to hold the boy's family captive.

Among the most powerful defense witnesses was actor Macaulay Culkin, who spent part of his childhood as a Jackson houseguest and said that Jackson never touched him inappropriately.

Two other young men who spent time at Jackson's' Neverland ranch as children also adamantly denied accounts by prosecution witnesses that they were seen in suggestive situations with Jackson.

The defense is still expected to call Leno on Tuesday.

Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting the boy in February or March 2003, plying him with wine and conspiring to hold the boy's family captive.

Prosecutors claim the conspiracy was intended to get the family to make a video rebutting a TV documentary in which the accuser appeared with Jackson, who told an interviewer he let children sleep in his bed but that it was non-sexual.

Geragos' testimony led to verbal sparring matches with Zonen, but the prosecutor drew little from the veteran defense counsel who took the stand under a limited waiver of attorney-client privilege.

Geragos repeated assertions that he was concerned the accuser's family would fabricate claims against Jackson to shake him down, and that he directed a private investigator to keep tabs on them.

The sparring between Zonen and Geragos sometimes went far off topic.

Zonen at one point noted that the private investigator, Bradley Miller, had paid several months of the family's rent.

"Would Mr. Miller be willing to pay my next month's mortgage?" Zonen asked.

"How big is your house?" Geragos responded.

"It's in Santa Barbara. It's small, " Zonen said.

Geragos testified after Melville said he believed lead defense attorney Thomas Mesereau Jr. misrepresented Jackson's waiver of attorney-client privilege by not revealing that it was limited to events before Jackson's arrest in November 2003.

"I feel deceived by Mr. Mesereau and I am considering ... sanctions of some sort against Mr. Mesereau," Melville said without taking immediate action.

Before court recessed for the weekend the prosecution succeeded in blocking a defense bid to get a grant of immunity for a man named by prosecutors as an unindicted co-conspirator.

Prosecutors had granted Vincent Amen so-called use immunity during a lengthy interview about all the facts of the case, then decided not to call him as a prosecution witness.

The defense became interested in calling Amen as a witness and sought to retain his immunity, but the judge ruled against it.

Melville also refused to order the playing of a tape of Amen's interview with prosecutors.

The prosecution said it did not constitute testimony, but Sanger said it was invaluable.

"Everything is there. It provides everything the jury hasn't heard," he argued.

Sanger indicated the tape contains information about the relationship of Amen to the mother and her claims that she was held against her will. He said the reason prosecutors decided not to call Amen was that his interview helped the defense and contradicted the prosecution's case.

---

Associated Press Writer Tim Molloy contributed to this report.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ws/11696969.htm

A

Anonymous

"We are approaching the end of this trial rapidly. The defence has indicated it may be prepared to rest by Tuesday," prosecutor Ron Zonen said.

The comments came after Jackson's lead lawyer Thomas Mesereau told the judge midweek that he could close his case sooner than expected after dramatically scaling back his list of witnesses.

When trial Judge Rodney Melville told him that he ought to keep defence witnesses coming as "we still have several weeks to go", Mr Mesereau replied: "I think a number of weeks is an overstatement of the amount of time we'll need here."

Well that means that Mesereau is telling us that they aren't far from closing. So I don't get why we are still in denial if it came from his mouth.

Anyway, I hope Mesereau will soon begin to move to the molestation part of the charges. The conspiracy is dead.

SmpsnsFan3

well theres not much more they can do with the molestation at this point, because in the prosecution's theory, the molestation relies heavily on the conspiracy.

If the conspiracy doesn't make sense, then neither does the molestation.

A

Anonymous

Originally posted by SmpsnsFan3
well theres not much more they can do with the molestation at this point, because in the prosecution's theory, the molestation relies heavily on the conspiracy.

If the conspiracy doesn't make sense, then neither does the molestation.

No, they are separate. The molestation has nothing to do with the conspiracy charge.

It doesn't make sense that Michael would molest the boy after all eye were on him, but they are separate charged.

I'm talking about touching more on 93'.

sistahlamb

Why hasn't the defence gotten into the 1993 case yet????

I mean, they can prove that those allegations were false and doing so would only all but prove that these allegations were false as well.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Just as I suspected: All of this nonsense from these pundits about how the jury would feel if Geragos "kept refusing to answer questions" was ridiculous. Ron Richards just said on Abrams (msnbc) that Geragos only had to assert Atty/Client priv. twice during the entire cross-examination.

sistahlamb

I just heard something about the defence arguing with the prosecution about allowing testimony of a cop that was involved in the 1993 case.

Does anyone know anything about this???

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by sistahlamb
I just heard something about the defence arguing with the prosecution about allowing testimony of a cop that was involved in the 1993 case.

Does anyone know anything about this???
Where did you hear that?

sistahlamb

Where did you hear that?

It was something posted on a thread on MJNO forums.

But someone just told me that the judge ruled out his testimony for some reason I still don't know. I haven't heard anything substansial about it yet.

sistahlamb

I don't think they will either!!!!

Like I said, they still haven't gotten into the 1993 allegations and they might just do that soon.

The only reason thier case will not take as long as they origianlly planned was because they will not use any of thier charactor witnesses....this is not a bad thing they don't need them.

SpecialJanet25

Originally posted by sistahlamb
I don't think they will either!!!!

Like I said, they still haven't gotten into the 1993 allegations and they might just do that soon.

The only reason their case will not take as long as they origianlly planned was because they will not use any of thier character witnesses....this is not a bad thing they don't need them.

I agree! Plus, Mez did not say yet, when their case is finish. Zonen is trying to push it. Until I heard from my girl, Raymone or anything from the defense about when they will rest their case, I keep this as speculation.

believer

Before court recessed for the weekend the prosecution succeeded in blocking a defense bid to get a grant of immunity for a man named by prosecutors as an unindicted co-conspirator.

Prosecutors had granted Vincent Amen so-called use immunity during a lengthy interview about all the facts of the case, then decided not to call him as a prosecution witness.

The defense became interested in calling Amen as a witness and sought to retain his immunity, but the judge ruled against it.

Melville also refused to order the playing of a tape of Amen's interview with prosecutors.

The prosecution said it did not constitute testimony, but Sanger said it was invaluable.

"Everything is there. It provides everything the jury hasn't heard," he argued.

Sanger indicated the tape contains information about the relationship of Amen to the mother and her claims that she was held against her will. He said the reason prosecutors decided not to call Amen was that his interview helped the defense and contradicted the prosecution's case.
---
Wow, I can't believe that judge. Everytime he makes another ruling I just can't believe it. I wish more reporters would comment on it, the guy is so blatantly biased it's just not possible. At least the way Linda D reported it you can tell it wasn't fair.
Why wasn't the a**hole upset about Debbie's testimony, which really was the complete opposite of what the pros. had said? And this bl***y waiver for a period of time completely *irrelevant* makes him all hot and bothered.
I don't believe the guy. I hope he has nightmares.
Going to bed fuming
Night guys

danaluvsmj

capt.camm11005202025.michael_jackson_camm110.jpg

aww whatta sweetie pie! :inlove

Eboni

Hey guys..

-Everyone should know by noe that Melville and his f**king girlfriend Tom Sneddumb is in on this sham together.!!!!!

- :buttkiss: ....Sneddumb kissing Melville's Ass!!!!

Originally posted by Eboni
Hey guys..

-Everyone should know by noe that Melville and his f**king girlfriend Tom Sneddumb is in on this sham together.!!!!!

- :buttkiss: ....Sneddumb kissing Melville's Ass!!!!
LMAO!! Girlfriend!

Sooo right. Actually, Sneddung and JaNUT would make a nice couple.