Official May 24 2005 thread

Danielle Oliver

Defense Indicates Michael Jackson Won't Testify

POSTED: 7:59 am PDT May 24, 2005
UPDATED: 3:30 pm PDT May 24, 2005

SANTA MARIA, Calif. -- Michael Jackson's attorneys put on star-studded testimony Tuesday by calling Jay Leno and comic actor Chris Tucker to the stand, then told the court that the "Rush Hour" star will be their last witness, indicating Jackson will not testify.

Jackson refused to comment on his way out of the courthouse whether he made the final decision not to take the stand. He smiled with palms pressed together and said he couldn't comment.

Tucker remained on the stand at the end of the day and was scheduled to undergo final questioning on Wednesday. At the prompting of Judge Rodney S. Melville, lead defense attorney Thomas Mesereau Jr. said, "This is the last witness."

The chances of the pop star testifying in his own defense against child molestation charges had been remote from the outset but were fueled by Mesereau's comment in opening statements to the jury that they would hear from Jackson on certain issues.

But the jury did hear a great deal from Jackson during a nearly three-hour video interview which was played earlier this month and became virtual testimony. In the tape, he said of children: "I haven't been betrayed or deceived by children. Adults have let me down."

Taking the stand would have subjected Jackson to rigorous cross-examination by prosecutors.

Leno kicked off the last full day of defense testimony, saying the singer's accuser was overly effusive and sounded scripted in unsolicited phone calls.

Initially serious and understated on the witness stand, Leno warmed up during his testimony and finished with a lighthearted promo: "We have Renee Zellweger on the show tonight."

"I'm not Bat Man," Leno said to laughter as he explained why he thought it odd that a little boy would be calling comedian in his mid- 50s to tell him he was his hero.

The defense called the "Tonight Show" host to support its claim that the boy's family schemed to get money from celebrities and Jackson became a target. The boy's calls to Leno were in a period when the boy had cancer and Hollywood comics had taken an interest in helping the family.

Leno, who on Monday night's show joked that a heat wave had him "sweating like a Cub Scout" at Jackson's Neverland Ranch, confirmed that he grew suspicious when he began receiving voice mail messages from the boy in 2000.

Leno said the boy left so many messages that he finally approached comedian Louise Palanker, a friend who had become acquainted with the boy.

"I said, 'What's the story here? This doesn't sound like a 12-year-old. This seems a little scripted,"' Leno testified.

He said Palanker told him the boy wanted to be a comedian and writes out everything he says.

The messages continued, he said, and "it was kind of the same call over and over again."

Leno, who testified he makes many calls to ill children, at one point did an imitation of how ill children speak to him, mumbling rather than giving the kind of forceful, adult presentation that he said he heard from Jackson's accuser.

But Leno said the boy never asked for money and he never gave any, but did send "Tonight Show" memorabilia and a picture. He said Palanker told him the boy put the picture over his bed.

The defense had said Leno was so concerned about the boy's calls that he called police and reported that he thought the family was looking for a "mark." But Leno said it was police who contacted him, although it was unclear why or when that happened.

On questioning by Mesereau, Leno recalled the police interview and explained his concern with the boy's calls.

"It sounded suspicious with a young person so overly effusive. It just didn't click with me," he said.

He said he probably did tell police he believed the family was looking for money.

Leno added, "In the business I'm in you hear from a lot of crazy people and I'm reluctant to follow up. But when it's a child I do follow up."

He said he was usually very accessible to children and children's charities but joked that after his testimony "the phones will be ringing" and he probably won't be as accessible.

"Thank you for that," he joked to Mesereau. "Up until a few minutes ago they could reach me."

Mesereau also asked Leno if he ever receives false pleas for help and Leno said he does.

"Sometimes you get a call like, 'I'm a farmer, our tractor's broken, our crops aren't doing well,' and the return address is Brooklyn, New York," Leno said.

Tucker, sidekick to Jackie Chan in the "Rush Hour" movies, testified that he met the accuser at a benefit after the boy's father introduced himself at the Laugh Factory club in Hollywood and asked him to take part.

Tucker said that a few days after the benefit the boy told him it hadn't made any money, so he wired "probably $1,500 or more" to a foundation for the family.

He was expected to finish testifying about his dealings with the family on Wednesday, allowing the prosecution to begin a rebuttal case project to last into Thursday.

Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting the boy in February or March 2003, giving him alcohol and conspiring to hold his family captive to get them to rebut a documentary in which the boy appeared with Jackson as the entertainer said he let children into his bed for non- sexual sleepovers.

The defense also called Mary Holzer, a paralegal at a law firm that handled a lawsuit by the accuser's family that led to a $152,000 settlement from J.C. Penney. The suit claimed the family was abused by guards after the accuser left a store with clothes that hadn't been purchased.

Holzer said the mother at one point told her the injuries she claimed to have received from the guards were inflicted by her then- husband on the night of the store incident. She said she told the mother she couldn't lie and that the mother responded with a threat.

"She told me that (her husband's) brother ... is in the Mexican mafia ... and that she knows where I live and they would come and kill me and my 9-year-old daughter," Holzer said.

Holzer said that once when she was taking the mother to a doctor's appointment related to the suit the mother "threw herself down on the ground, started kicking and screaming that the doctor was the devil, the nurse was the devil and they were out to get her."

When the mother testified, she said Holzer was dishonest and was a huge Michael Jackson fan.

Holzer testified that the mother called her three or four months ago.

"She said she wanted to be friends," Holzer said. "I said I was very busy. She told me she'd like to get together and have a girls' weekend.

"Did she say anything about this case?" asked Mesereau.

"She proceeded to tell me that Michael Jackson was no longer her savior. He was now the devil," she said.

Source: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4524469/detail.htm...0105242005&ts=H

-MyAngelMJ-

Holzer really confirmed what the defense was saying all along.. that the mother coached her kids to testify against Michael...

Thanks Whisper.

HeavenSent

Originally posted by Danielle Oliver

Leno, who on Monday night's show joked that a heat wave had him "sweating like a Cub Scout" at Jackson's Neverland Ranch...

"sweating like a Cub Scout"?? Hmm, okay. So Leno is staying at the ranch? I came off of MJJF and read that. If that's the case, well ain't that a b*tch. Followed by a wow, talk about whole lot of compassion coming his way from Michael. He's been Leno's punching bag with his untasteful jabs night after night...

Cristine87

The conspiracy & extortion charge I'm not worried about, those are just dead! The alcohol charge I'm not really worried about because what's been established is that the two brother's were able to get alcohol themselves, not that Michael gave it to them. The molestation charges, I don't know! These charges are the one's that I'm worried about at this point, but on the other hand, this paralegal established this woman to coach her kids to lie so that could put the nail on the coffin to those charges. She's been proven to be a con-artist, a thief & a liar, so the jury has reasonable doubt for these charges.

sistahlamb

The conspiracy & extortion charge I'm not worried about, those are just dead! The alcohol charge I'm not really worried about because what's been established is that the two brother's were able to get alcohol themselves, not that Michael gave it to them. The molestation charges, I don't know! These charges are the one's that I'm worried about at this point, but on the other hand, this paralegal established this woman to coach her kids to lie so that could put the nail on the coffin to those charges. She's been proven to be a con-artist, a thief & a liar, so the jury has reasonable doubt for these charges.

If the alchahol charge is false then so is the molestation....think about it....

Cristine87

Originally posted by sistahlamb
If the alchahol charge is false then so is the molestation....think about it....
Ok, just so I get this straight, Michael is being charged with molesting the kid four times & each time, he intoxicated him, correct?

I really thought the defense would address the 1993 allegation's involving Jordan Chandler and Jason Francia. In my opinion there was a great deal of imformation which would have discredited the credability of these accusers.

The timeline was in my opinion the most important piece of evidence as throughout the duration of the trial, the time span in which Michael could have commited this crime started to slowly diminish and if the defense would have extensively focused on this issue, it would have became apparent to the Jury that nothing inappropriate could have occured.

I think that the defense still have the opportunity to focus on the timeline during closing statements as they'll be able to follow a chronological pattern without interuption from the prosecution. I just hope that he does take this opportunity to elaborate on this matter because I think this is one of the issue's which will again demostrate Michael's innocence.

Allthough the defense throughout the trial have consistenly dismatled the credability of witness's during both the prosecution and defense's presentation of their case's, I must say (and I dont mean to discredict the defense) that I am little disappointed that they didn't focus on certain issue's which I assumed they would as it seems we've only touched the surface of some of these absent issue's and not divulged into the core of them (i.e settlement)

But in light of what I said, the defense team are the real professionals in this trial and they know what their doing better than I do

I have believed in the defense and I belive that they will fully exonerate Michael from these malicious crimes that he's been charged with as they've simply been developed to deframe Michael and to extort money from his vulnerabilities.

Keep the faith

Cristine87

I still can't believe this case is ending so fast! I expected it to go in to August & we're barely in June. Will we get a verdict by next week?

I think Mez will blow this thing totally out of the water w/the closing. And the timeline will be HUGE. He's not going to abandon that for the sake of time, trust me. If you think about it, you don't need witness testimony to destroy the timeline, you'd do better w/a paper trail and visuals. Those will be Michael's strongest alibis, in my opinion, not neccessarily what testimony is offered. Tucker may very well have this covered anyway, with him being the last witness and all.

As for as the '93 "case", maybe Mez still has something in store...

Yeah this is what I'm thinking too, Carla.

As you said, you don't need any witness's to explain the timeline because although it may seem complicated, once the defense divulge into it using diagrams etc it will become very logical, hence making the Jury more aware of the possibilities of this crime taking place.. (which is none at all)

minnie michael

i donot want this case going on to Auguest..i canot stand it at all..i believe in Mez's ability and his incredible wit..he is the best lawyer and he think of MIke's interest the best..i believe as long as he decide to end this case that's prove he is sure there is no need to prolong..on the other hand..from those witness day after day we all can see most of them's words on the stand is by our side....after the Jury had witted how crazy those family are..i am sure the Jury has alrady made their desicion..MIke is innocent..that's totally prove it..

i have 10000% faith in Mez..and chris turker will be the last one..thanks GOD Chris will tell us more about Maiami trip things..and its time to stop..and give Mike a new life..i feel very excited right now..finally we will see the break of dawn..waiting for and praying.. :thumbsup :thumbsup

minnie michael

yes Carla i understand what you are saying, i feel more and more confident after knowing this case is going to end..i can imagine how Mez and his team had countless of meetings about this decision..i am sure Mez is right..on the other hand who do you expect to take the stand next??? Liz taylor??? Diana rose??? or whatever super stars???? everybody in the world know how much Liz taylor love Mike and how much she has been defending Mike for decades... so there is no need to let Liz take the stand ..after all Liz has no idea about this case she is not one of this case..

after that crazy Januts 's crazy words on the stand..and after that crazy sister cried on the stand..and after that crazy Gavin guy's rudeness on the stand..and after all of bad marks from Gavin guy's school..after our witnesses..after Debbie..the jury has already have a pics about this family..liars..money-grabbers..and nasty kids..i am sure..this is time to end..the best is yet to come..Mez will tell us what he will do the next..yeah....

this summer belong to Michael..THE KING..and his loyal fans... :thumbsup :thumbsup i lvoe today's vest..xixix :tooexcite