PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter

sushigirl28

Tech Junkie: Going Ballistic with the PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter and Shooting AttachmentBy: Kevin Kelly

Gaming is nothing without the gear, and Tech Junkie takes video game tech, peripherals, add-ons, doo-dads, gizmos, and gadgets and puts it through the wringer. We'll tell you what we like and dislike, what's worth buying, and what you might want to pass on. One person's plastic junk is another gamer's treasure.

It's been a few months since Sony's Move came out, bringing waggle-wanding to the PlayStation 3. Has your fever pitch about it diminished somewhat? Rest assured, there are ways to get you gunning for it again. With Killzone 3, and the upcoming SOCOM 4 hitting the PS3, there's a battlefield there waiting for your plastic periphery. Sony has made it easier by providing both the PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter and the PlayStation Move Shooting Attachment as add-ons for your Move. How do they stack up? Let's find out.

PlayStation Move Guns
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDFeyQ9ZHzI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZkhMg6qwM&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

But if you want to take a deeper look at these two peripherals, keep reading. Tech Junkie wades through all of the plastic periphery so you don't have to.

Tech-Junkie-PlayStation-3-Move-Sharp-Shooter-and-Shooting-Attachment.jpg

PlayStation Move Shooting Attachment
Platform: PlayStation 3 with PlayStation Move
Price: $19.99

First of all, about the lamest thing involving this thing is the name. "PlayStation Move Shooting Attachment." It seems like Sony went to great pains to establish focus testing groups that could spitball this thing in committee just to avoid using the word "gun" anywhere in there. At the end of the day, you're slapping a Move Controller in here and pointing it at your screen in order to go "pew, pew, pew!" So, calling it a gun wouldn't have been that odd, would it? I know we want to be all PC and anti-violent in most things we do, but this is meant for killing bad guys. Oh, and shooting targets.

Secondly, it's a bit pricy for what it is. This is just a hunk of plastic with a mechanical pass-through trigger that pulls the Move trigger when you pull the trigger on the gun. Er, Shooting Attachment. So it's a glorified controller holder, when you boil it down. There's nothing electronic happening in there, and I would have felt much better with a $9.99 price point. Especially since it doesn't offer any secondary features. If you're playing a game that's on rails, like Time Crisis: Razing Storm, it's a fun attachment and feels solid. But anything else and you'll be holding the Navigation Controller in one hand, and this thing in the other, which takes some getting used to.

If you find yourself in dire need of a gun-shaped controller holder, this isn't bad. But, our advice would be to wait for it to go on sale, and once you grab it pick up somes rail-shooters to enjoy it with. This sucker would look great in blue.

PROS

Feels solid

CONS

Expensive for what it is
No secondary functions

Tech-Junkie-PlayStation-3-Move-Sharp-Shooter-and-Shooting-Attachment.jpg

PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter
Platform: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Price: $39.99

On the other end of the spectrum, and for only $20 more, Sony is offering up a completely different beat: the Sharp Shooter. Unlike the Shooting Attachment, this thing has an onboard processor and is meant for more than just controller holding. This functions more like a completely different controller, which it is, and it was obviously built with shooters in mind. In fact, it comes with decal sheets for Killzone 3 in both ISA and Stahl Arms varieties, and a SOCOM 4 stickers so you can dress up your gun however you like.

So what does it do? Once you've snapped your Move Controller in place in the barrel of the gun, you'll have access to several different functions all over the body of the Shooter itself. The Square and Triangle keys get remapped to either side of the trigger area, and Start and Select get placed on either side of the barrel. The trigger is self-explanatory, but there's also a secondary button under the trigger itself which activates the Move button, and can be locked if desired. There's also a three-position selector switch, ranging from single fire, to semi-auto, to full automatic.

There's an reload button on the bottom of the "clip," and in Killzone 3 at least you can reload by slapping this, or by chambering the pump-action underneath the barrel, or even by twisting your gun to the side. The stock is extendable to different positions

One drawback of the controller is the Navigation Controller, which has to sit right underneath the pump-action, and trying to steer yourself while holding onto a gun that you need to turn and track with to shoot is very counter-intuitive, and there's a definite learning curve to making that happen. It feels extremely frustrating for awhile, and you'll want to chuck this thing through your television. Once you get it down though, it will eventually feel more smooth. Games like Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 are built to recognize this specific peripheral, and just announced is that Resistance 3 will have built-in support as well.

It's not for everyone, and learning to turn and shoot together might be too much of a barrier to entry, but there is something completely satisfying about blasting baddies with this thing. With more games adding support, it might be worth adding to your arsenal.

PROS

Feels great when used correctly
Offers up many secondary functions
Versatile and packed with features

CONS

Nearly as much as a second controller
Not recognized by every game

source

xo

sushigirl28

AHH I LOVE video games! :boxing Killing zombie games or targets, fighting, or level-games are my fav-FAV. <My zest for life in unquenchable. :hilarious And the more old-school the better actually.. There will always be a big ol' place in my heart for the classics. *sigh* Memories... :yaychibi

!CEGy6O!BWk~$(KGrHqF,!icE0G-0(WbYBNQzfFI46!~~_35.JPG

Geeze, we sure have come a long way from this little guy here!^ Do yall remember this?? :hilarious I remember when I was little this was the holy grail of nintendo pieces that one could possess, and if you had it, everyone is coming over to YOUR house! :hilarious Now we have star-wars-lookin' bazookas and plastic lit flamethrowers all up in here now, man... :greenlaugh *No hatin', just statin'*

14mc7bo.jpg

I'll always love you ol' Bessie, I'll always love you...

:rollin
xo

armcjackson

:) I remember the old 'Nintendo 64.'
That thing was wicked sweet. I had this like Mario game for it that I played 24/7. I'm pretty sure we only had the one game for that machine.