Rolling Stone: Madonna on Michael

HeavenSent

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/304...n_her_own_words

Do you cry often onstage?
[On the Sticky & Sweet Tour] there's a moment right before I sing "You Must Love Me," which is such a sad song, when I'm not linked up to time-coded video, when I take a moment to talk to the audience. On this leg of the tour, I cried when I was making a speech about the two men who worked for the scaffolding company that were building my stage in Marseilles [who died in a collapse]. I cried when I found out Michael Jackson had died.

You and Michael were born in the same month, August of 1958. What was it like to witness a kid your age do what he did?
I was madly in love with him, totally smitten. He was mind-bogglingly talented. The songs he sang were not childlike at all.

When did you first meet him?
I met him in the early Eighties, when I first started working with my manager, Freddy DeMann, who at the time was managing Michael Jackson. I saw him play at Madison Square Garden, and I was blown away. He was flawless. There was a party at the Helmsley Palace Hotel. He was very shy, but it was a thrill for me.

Were you jealous of him?
In a good way. I'd wished I'd written "Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'." What song didn't I love?

Ten years later there was talk of you recording together, and you went to the Oscars with him.
There was a period of time when we hung out. He wanted to work with me, I think he wanted to get to know me, and I wanted to do the same. When you write with somebody, it's a weird experience, you feel vulnerable and shy. When I worked with Justin Timberlake I felt that way. To write songs together is a very intimate experience, like getting tossed into a juggernaut. "On your mark, get set, create!" You have to get past these hurdles, which are, "I want to impress this person, but will they think my ideas are stupid? What if their ideas are stupid? Can I be honest with them? Will they be offended?" You end up talking and gabbing and socializing, and you have to do that in order to get to the next level, to be creative. So that's what we were doing: watching movies, having dinner, hanging out, going to the Oscars, being silly, seeing if we could work. He got relaxed. He took off his sunglasses, had a glass of wine, I got him to laugh.

You're the only other entertainer in the world who can relate to enduring that level of scrutiny. Why did it destroy him?
All I have are my opinions, I wasn't very close to him. It's good to have a good childhood and a sense of yourself in the world before people start telling you who they think your are. Where you can make mistakes and have a sense of innocence. It gives you a sense of confidence. I don't think he started off that way. Did he have any sense of himself outside of the world of being adored and famous? It's hard to survive like that. I think he felt insecure about the attention he got, and had a love-hate relationship with his job. He didn't seem to have any close friends. And in the last decade, everybody abandoned him, or wrote him off as crazy. People have said so many things about me that aren't true, and I never once had a second thought that the accusations against him might be true. But he didn't seem to have a way to deal with that, publicly or privately, and it can destroy you. When he died, everyone was saying what a great genius he was, but it's important to appreciate things before you lose them. It's a great tragedy.

HeavenSent

Yeah, that got me in the gut a little bit. I wish she'd come out and staunchly defended him, though. I know she's admitted feeling guilty but when she comes out NOW to say that she never had doubts, it makes me feel a whirlwind of emotions. Those little things, are actually HUGE when you put it into contect. It could have saved him so much grief and isolation if someone would have stepped forward to stand by him.

He was let down.

Palmyra

HeavenSent;223265 said:
I know she's admitted feeling guilty but when she comes out NOW to say that she never had doubts, it makes me feel a whirlwind of emotions.

But she says she wasn't close to him, and this is probably why she didn't feel an obligation to stand up for him in public. In private, she knew the truth. It is difficult to be honest about how you feel in the real world. It is easier to go along with everyone than speak your thoughts.

The people (e.g., Elizabeth Taylor) who spoke are those who were very close to him, and because of this, I don't think they were ever taken very seriously. Most celebrities hopped on the fence and didn't say anything positive until it was all over. True friendship demands that you stand by your friend even in the line of fire.

Saphster

She did defend him during the trial and throughout the Martin Bashir period.

Whatever their relationship was I hope they had a nice time together and enjoyed each others company whether it was business or personal.

It was comforting to her admitting she was jealous of him.

oldschoolfan

It makes me sad that he died because nobody had the guts to stick by him. Like I've said before, those who need to keep their mouths shut tend to open them, while those who need to open them tend to keep them shut. And look what happens because of it.

HeavenSent

Palmyra;223272 said:
But she says she wasn't close to him, and this is probably why she didn't feel an obligation to stand up for him in public. In private, she knew the truth. It is difficult to be honest about how you feel in the real world. It is easier to go along with everyone than speak your thoughts.
I understand that. I just wished Michael had more people out there to step in and support him. That hurts me terribly. It starts looking disingenuous when people say they knew the truth after the fact. At least Madonna kept it real (MTV awards) and admitted she'd failed him and she did it in front of the whole world and that took a lot of guts. I definitely don't doubt Madonna's sincerity. It just would have been gold if it'd been done in the heat of battle.

Cristine87

oldschoolfan;223276 said:
It makes me sad that he died because nobody had the guts to stick by him. Like I've said before, those who need to keep their mouths shut tend to open them, while those who need to open them tend to keep them shut. And look what happens because of it.

Absolutley! I think the reason I was always a die-hard fan my whole life was because I felt like so little people stood by him and I felt it was my duty to do so! That's why I get pissed at people like Lisa Marie and to some extent Brooke Shields, cause it seems like whenever Michael was down, people who were supposed to be there wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole, but when he was on top, they were right there next to him. I was more loyal to this man then half the people in his life and i didn't even know him personally. That's seriously f*cked up!

Ben

I love everything Madonna has said about Michael since his passing. She has been the only famous person who has been honest about their gulit in abandoning Michael and not treasuring him as a person and a genous when he was still alive. Many others like Quincy Jones and Brooke Shields who were far closer to Michael than Madonna ever was haven't shown Michael the same respect to Michael's memory as Madonna has shown because they did distance themselves from Michael.

Madonna could have just given a short mark of respect to Michael like Paul McCartney did, and just left it like that. But I think she has highlighted the hypocrisy that's happened since Michael's death by using herself as an example. I will say that in Q Music Magazine (a UK music magazine, which was always quite anti Michael), Madonna did defend Michael when asked about Martin Bashir's LWMJ. But in hindsight I feel she feels very gulity that she could have done more, but in reality it's the like of Brooke Shields, Lisa Marie Presley and Quincy Jones who should really feel quilty.