Should MJEOL switch to phpbb3?

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I wondering how you guys felt if MJEOL switched board software to phpbb3?

vbulletin initially costs $180, then $60 a year for upgrades etc. I'm finding myself short when it comes to paying monthly server fees then finding out my 1 year subscription ran out so i can't upgrade until I pay about $60 bucks.

I'm asking the community, you guys, what do you think if we switch to a total open-source forum like phpbb3?

If you guys have been here long enough you'll know that WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY back in the day, this forum use to use phpbb.

Give me your comments please. :)

I'd also like to hear from the daily lookie-loos (those who visit quite often, but don't post regularly) :cryptic

:8-26-03fruits_apple

OnlyHon

I'm sorry, I would give an opinion, but I am not familiar with these different formats. What would be the difference?

R e a f u

I say go with php if it's cheaper for you and then you can get one of those invision free forum skins and just customize things for a more MJ friendly forum :D! I'd love to learn the difference between php and vbulletin myself :O!

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest difference between the two is that one is $180 bucks and the other is free. :lol

They both have the ability to have subforums, you can search within a single thread of necessary, they both have usercp, etc.

There are quite a few major things in the Administration panel in VB in comparison to phpbb3. However, none of that would effect you guys.

My only problem would be the conversion. Even if we manage to get all the posts and all the users converted over, there is a risk that there may be a slight problem with you guys' passwords. *sigh*

R e a f u

whisper;208826 said:
The biggest difference between the two is that one is $180 bucks and the other is free. :lol

They both have the ability to have subforums, you can search within a single thread of necessary, they both have usercp, etc.

There are quite a few major things in the Administration panel in VB in comparison to phpbb3. However, none of that would effect you guys.

My only problem would be the conversion. Even if we manage to get all the posts and all the users converted over, there is a risk that there may be a slight problem with you guys' passwords. *sigh*

And there isn't such a thing as a "light" version of vbulletin? Like one that has slightly less features and therefore less expensive :(?

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
R e a f u;208842 said:
And there isn't such a thing as a "light" version of vbulletin? Like one that has slightly less features and therefore less expensive :(?
Nope. vbulletin lite was discontinued back in 2002.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I just set up a test site using another free forum software called SMF
http://site2.mjeol.com/smf117/index.php

Please, I need you guys to go over there and see if you can login using your current Vbulletin passwords

I wanted to go from vb -> SMF -> phpbb3

But first I need to make sure all users carried over from vb to SMF.

:thumbsup

R e a f u

whisper;208848 said:
Nope. vbulletin lite was discontinued back in 2002.

Oh lame :(!

I just set up a test site using another free forum software called SMF
http://site2.mjeol.com/smf117/index.php

Please, I need you guys to go over there and see if you can login using your current Vbulletin passwords

I wanted to go from vb -> SMF -> phpbb3

But first I need to make sure all users carried over from vb to SMF.

Works for me :D!

EDIT:
Loving the clean orange and white theme :)!

DirtyDiana87

Hi Whisper,

I know I have not been here in forever but, I received your email and thought I'd would come and give my thoughts. If I may be completely honest I really like the way this forum is set up. When I first came across this forum the way it looked and was setup got my attention. The other boards and the way they look and are set up I feel could be a lot better than what they are. However, I think you need to do what is best for you and I'll support you either way. :D