Sony/ATV finally gets its hands on Mike's songs...

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Sony/ATV signs deal for Michael Jackson songs
Press Trust of India / Los Angeles August 24, 2012, 16:50

Sony/ATV, co-owned by the Michael Jackson Estate, is set to take control of King Of Pop Michael Jackson's back catalogue after signing a deal with Mijac Music.

Although Sony/ATV is co-owned by the Sony Corporation and the Estate of Michael Jackson, until now Jackson's own compositions have been handled by Warner/Chappell under a previously signed deal.

"We are thrilled that the Estate of Michael Jackson has entrusted us with this incredible catalogue of songs, and everyone at Sony/ATV looks forward to finding innovative ways to use these songs, while protecting their legacy," said Marty Bandier, chairman and CEO Sony/ATV.

With this new worldwide administration agreement in place, Sony/ATV will now look after classic songs penned by him such as 'Bad', 'Beat It', 'Black And White', 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough', 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' and 'Wanna Be Startin Somethin' as well as songs by other writers in the catalogue.

...blah blah blah (source)

========================================

"look after", my ass. Ok I thought the point of keeping his songs separate was to keep Sony's deceitful, greedy hands off his music?

Now watch how in the future Sony is going to try to take full control over that catalog now that they've got Mike's songs...

samba

But Sony didn't get the catalog. Sony will just administer the Mijac catalogue like Warner-Chappel before. Other than that Mijac is still owned by the estate.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
samba said:
But Sony didn't get the catalog. Sony will just administer the Mijac catalogue like Warner-Chappel before. Other than that Mijac is still owned by the estate.
Do you honestly think they'll stop at that? All they need is a crack to enter...

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, time will definitely tell. And since Sony's track record is the equivalent of a big pile of poo, I won't be giving it the benefit of the doubt; especially since Mike had the catalog for all that time and never once asked Sony/ATV to administer his own songs.

TevaMac

Isn't Sony/ATV owned by Michael Jackson & Sony in a 50% partnership? Therefore, isn't Michael Jackson's own company administering his music?
Wouldn't it make more financial sense for for Mijac to be with Michael's company?
Was Warner paying the Estate, or was the Estate paying Warner for the administration? Isn't Warner Music a distressed company?
If the Mijac catalog is not for sale, then how will Sony get their hands on it? No one can get it as long as it is not for sale.

Dialdancer

I also think this smells to high heaven, but I guess we will wait and see.  Of course if we wait long enough without asking questions then if something occurs we are not in agreement then it will be too late.