The Appearance of MJ in the UK Friday

Labomba

This topic is being discussed over at MJJF and I found it pretty good. Let's continue with the talk on here:

Originally posted by mello1 Oct 7 2005@ 07:49 PM
Let me first say that I am very happy for UK fans who got to see Michael Jackson on Friday. Many thanks to MJJF members in Europe who provided pictures and first hand accounts for everyone else around the world. It is most appreciated.

MJJF Sr. Staff person Minnie started a thread last week regarding fan behavior during MJ appearances based on her own personal experiences. It elicited diversed opinions on the subject. I would like to try this again based on today's actions.

One of our members was hurt and could have been seriously injured today. She, as well as other fans really did try to effect a different outcome by asking fans around them to remain calm. But unfortunately it only takes a few individuals to start a trampede and it happened again today.

Now I don't know where Mr. Jackson's security was on Friday, but thank God things generally turned out okay. It is clear that Michael really does want to interact with his fans. Especially post trial because he really has appreciated the warmth and the love and the support shown by fans all around the world during the lowest point in his life.

Now I know that people understandably get excited when they see him. But has it occurred to anyone that you may get to see MORE of him if you resist the urge to rush him? He wants to interface with you. I believe that he does, truly I do. But if fans continue to bum rush him like this, one day, he will just stop trying.

This is an account from a fan on the MJNI board:
Right, I have just got back from seeing Michael I just wanna say that I have never been so appauled and disgusted with fans in my whole entire life!!!! I mean first of all outside the hotel. We were all waiting there, all stood back out the way. We could see Michael inside the hotel, ready to come out and at that point we were still all standing pretty far back, but as soon as Michael left the hotel door everyone just ran up to him and mobbed him!!! HE'S NOT A PIECE OF MEAT YOU CAN JUST GRAB AND PULL ABOUT!!! He must have been outside for all of what?? 1 minute at the very most! He really was looking amazing. Very healthy, long straight hair, dark glasses, nice outfit but all those psycho fans decided to spoil it for EVERYONE! All Michael is going to think is that these fans are crazy! He'll be scared of them! Dislike them! If it wasn't for everyone who ran up to him, crushed him and pulled at him he probably would have stood there, asked everyone to line up and met every single fan tonight! Why can't the fans who did this just be a little more calm andn treat him as though he is an actual normal person??? You are scaring the **** out of him!!!

And at the studio was even worse!!! I have never seen anything so scary in all my life!!! Michael arrived and to start with everyone was just cheering and clapping but then oh no, what should happen one fan starts rushing so they all do. I almost fell over, got trampled on and now have serious back pain, and it didn't even stop there, everyone rushed up to the main garage, pushed straight through the security guys and started running after Michael!!! Can you imagine having about 200 people just running after you trying to get a piece of you? Pulling at your hair, your clothes, trying to get a photo with you without your permission?

The next thing I saw was a pappazzi guy jumping on top of a van trying to get a picture of Michael, he pulled on Michael's hair, turning his face towards the camera and shoving the camera RIGHT UP TO HIS FACE!!! It was absolutely DISGUSTING!!! Tiff just grabbed him and pulled him off the van and onto the ground! I personally was very close to slapping him in the face if he tried to get back on there! I was just standing back and watching this... I swear this was the most scariest moment in my whole life... Michael was now sitting on top of this car and fans just jumped up there with him! Grabbing him, hugging him, pulling at him and forcing him to have his photo taken with them on their phones!!! Then fans started climbing on the bonnet of the car and I swear it was just getting worse and worse and WORSE!!! I just backed off and started crying my eyes out, screaming because I was really so upset with the way the fans were treating him. You could see Michael trying to put on a brave face, smiling but you could tell he was petrified. I couldn't see ANY security at this point. It was just Michael, alone... being swamped and drowning in a sea of fans!! A few fans were just screaming "CALM DOWN CALM DOWN GET OFF THE CAR" but NO-ONE was listening - I really can't believe that these people call themselves FANS! GET REAL - YOU ARE NOT FANS - YOU DO NOT RESPECT THIS MAN ONE LITTLE BIT!!!! I really felt myself getting out of control because I was soooo scared for him!! I just saw it getting worse and worse... Raymone Bain then managed to get some fans away and stood up on the bonnet trying to calm the fans.... Eventually someone came and said that we were on private property and the police had been called!! I've never been so scrared for anyone in my whole life, the way I was scared for Michael tonight... In the whole 11 years of being a fan I have NEVER seen anything so appauling!!!

I just want to say to fans PLEASE THINK ABOUT MICHAEL - IF YOU HONESTLY LOVE THIS GUY YOU WILL STAY CALM AND NOT SCARE THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF HIM!!!! You will get a hell of a lot more from him if you just stand out of the way. He'll come up to us, talk to us... we will ALL get to meet him... Michael will feel safe and happy and all the fans will be happy too!!!!

I'm off back out again now to see if he's about, but will be definately be there tomorrow as well so please guys TREAT THIS GUY WITH A BIT OF RESPET - HE DESERVES IT!!!!
Now I think that we can discuss this calmly and with ration. This is not about portraying elitist attitudes about what we wouldn't do or making excuse for wanton and reckless behavior. This is about how we as fans can best help MJ in a way that he feels more comfortable engaging with us.

Discuss and BE RESPECTFUL WHEN DOING SO. Thank you.

Originally posted by JingeJ@ Oct 9 2005, 03:48 AM

*GIVES A HUGE APPLOUD* THIS is one of the greatest topics I've seen so far! Thanks for bringing this up, I was so appalled when I heard about my friend telling me they were there trying to touch him, I was flying mad, I just yelled at them telling them to have some common sense, because what they told me were "no problems" for them at all. Of course it was, I even saw the video of Michael getting mobbed and even if alot of fans are stating that "but he looks so happy" it doesn't mean that he was actually happy getting mobbed by his own fans that he would like to know and talk with.

I wasn't there so I cannot tell if it was bad or anything, but if I was there I would have got a huge microphone, climbing ontop of a car and yelled as loud as I could "BACK OFF, FANS CALM DOWN, HE'LL TALK WITH YOU IF YOU JUST CALM DOWN". Because I respect Michael's privacy and Michael's appearancy with his fans, I would never in my life mob Michael. That's wrong, I got so mad of people doing this to Michael. He choosed to make an appearance and what do he get? A bunch of fans trying to tramp him down and get pieces out of his own blood.

He could have just forget about and continued recording the song and then leave the country but he didn't, he choose to make an appearance and choose to get to know fans more, but if these events will happen again, I don't think he'll have give it a shot! Respect the man! He is just a human, like you and me!

A

Anonymous

I was caught up in one scene in NYC with MJ once ... and irrespective of how much he doesn't want his hair ripped off his head or anyone to get hurt, he KNOWS it's just love, thats why despite the fact that he might be a little fearful for his kids, he's OKAY and that's why he was grinning while climbing on top of his car with his most devoted fans just wanting to get a touch from him.

And Prince and Michael weren't pushed to the ground yesterday, that was a load of crap. Security instructs them to get down low and "go go go" when theres a mob scene because then people lose track of where he is and he can escape to safety. The same crap happened in 2002 when MJ was "knocked down" in London, he wasn't knocked ... it was just a security technique. Get to the ground and crawl away. He did it in Sydney too when the barricades where knocked down in George Street.

Mostly its the paparazzi that cause it and maybe a couple of psychotic fans who won't listen to security.

I get really pissed off with people huffing and puffing about how disrespectful fans are, because if given the situation themselves, they'd lose their minds. And usually the ones preaching have never been in the situation themselves. Michael knows what he's doing and he's happy doing it. He knows everyone is doing what they do out of love.

If he doesn't like the situation, he should think twice before leaving anywhere without a bigger entourage of security. Fans will be fans, they get caught up in the moment. It's easily done -- especially when it's Michael Freakin' Jackson in front of ya.

I hate that "he's just like you and me" bullshit. If he's just so normal and like you or I, then he wouldn't be who he is, where he is, or receiving the love and adoration that he does. You wouldn't be wasting your time at a Michael Jackson fan forum and you certainly sure as hell wouldn't be losing any sleep over him.

I really hate it when fans judge other fans. Sure a handful of fans sometimes ruin it for everyone else, but generally it's not as bad as it seems. And the BS generalisations have to stop. Not every idiotic fan represents the fan base as a whole You can't tar everyone with the one brush.

And again, its easy for you all to judge sitting on your arse from home and watching from afar.... You don't know unless you're actually in the situation for yourself. It's so bloody irritating. Ive heard fans ranting and raving about what other fans do and how disrespectful they are, and then in the very next instance when Michael is in front of them, they are just as guilty of doing the exact same thing if not more so.

I think that ppl just need to mind their own business. MJ and his security can clearly take care of him.

MJISHOT

my past expecience of meeting famous ppl has just been walking up to them and saying hello. however with michael its very different. I think i would be very overwhelmed and emotional, but i know i wouldnt hound him. id just want to talk to him, hug him etc. I think its really bad how many of the fans behave. Yeah i know it must be the most exciting feeling ever, and sometimes that rush takes over, but i couldnt see myself acting like that... who knows how i would act if i was faced with Michael :lol: My dream is just to give him a hug and tell him i love him!!

Black Loafers

I am with Cindy. Why are people so into Michael? I mean. He is a human being. Ofcourse you want to meet him and have an autograph or whatever but LEAVE HIM THE HELL ALONE!!

*shakes head* Poor Michael..:( He's always followed by fans. He can't have any privacy.

I actually found out that my mother and sister was in London at the same time!!!! But they will come hom to sweden today :)

A

Anonymous

Why are people so into Michael? I mean. He is a human being.

You've got to be joking, right? Sure he might be human, but so is 85% of existence of the Earth - that doesn't mean we're all the same.

If you are asking that question, maybe you should ask yourself why you're at a Michael Jackson forum even involving yourself (or not) in a debate.

Labomba

Originally posted by Black Loafers
I am with Cindy. Why are people so into Michael? I mean. He is a human being. Ofcourse you want to meet him and have an autograph or whatever but LEAVE HIM THE HELL ALONE!!

*shakes head* Poor Michael..:( He's always followed by fans. He can't have any privacy.

I actually found out that my mother and sister was in London at the same time!!!! But they will come hom to sweden today :)
I actually didn't mean WHY they were so into Michael, of course we are, it's Michael Jackson but you have to have some bounderies, some limits!

LoveMeIfYouDare

i know its only normal for pple to want to get a feel of michael jackson...THE Michael Jackson...but trying to force their way juz to get near to him is too much...fans sld start think about michael's safety...

Labomba

Originally posted by LoveMeIfYouDare
i know its only normal for pple to want to get a feel of michael jackson...THE Michael Jackson...but trying to force their way juz to get near to him is too much...fans sld start think about michael's safety...
That's true

danaluvsmj

I really get irritated when fans mobbed him. When I saw him at the Epiphany last year I was very disgusted with the way fans were acting as he left, grabbing onto him.

I read an account on MJJSource of someone who was in London and said Michael's kids looked very sad and upset. Grace was carrying Paris into the theater kicking and crying.

Can't people have any respect? I mean to scare his kids like that is inexcusable.

HeavenSent

I get really pissed off with people huffing and puffing about how disrespectful fans are, because if given the situation themselves, they'd lose their minds. And usually the ones preaching have never been in the situation themselves. Michael knows what he's doing and he's happy doing it. He knows everyone is doing what they do out of love.
I get ya.

BUT.

I've seen the ignorance of fans before, and one thing that pisses me off is the lack of respect. Ignoring the pleas of security: those who are hired to protect him. Total lack of respect.

When I got miffed reading some of the accounts, I am reminded of the dozens of fans trampling his flower bushes and hogging the gates at Neverland when I visited 2 years ago. All they thought of were themselves. F*ckers. I literally cringed.

Makes me sick.

Sure a handful of fans sometimes ruin it for everyone else, but generally it's not as bad as it seems.
That's where people have to understand the context of the situation and be objective about it. What might seem absurd to one, may be harmless to another.

I'm a low key individual, but I was paralyzed the first time I saw him in person. There's no way for me to know how I'd react if he appeared IN FRONT OF ME. I've said it before, I'm all for excitment--even chancing it to do things you'd never be able to do again. I mean, I'd be the first to admit I'd haul ass if I knew where he was going to be...Adrenaline takes over...you might do and say things that goes against everything that you've been taught! But trampling. The mob mentality. It only takes one, that sort of thing. A fan getting their leg broken.

Sh*t happens. But some fans should be held accountable and quit always trying to excuse it.

ElaineJackson

I agree, Heaven Sent. I was there in London yesterday, outside the hotel. Sadly I missed seeing Michael, but I saw enough to make me realise that for a small minority, it is all about "me, me, me". They will push, punch, kick and swear at other fans in order to get to the front and be noticed by or touch Michael. What I find sad is that if they would only calm down, then everyone would get quality time.... instead you get a scrum, a panic, and most people get just a glimpse amid waving arms. I mean, I know it's excitement, and people get carried away and all... and I do feel the security should have been a little stronger at times.
However, I've come to realise that, apart from when his children were involved -you could see from everyone's expressions that he was concerned for them- Michael did appear to be loving every minuite of it. Let's face it, this has been happening to him since he was a child himself, and although its scarey, he knows it will happen and if he really wanted to avoid it, I'm sure he could. And of course it is excellent publicity! So.. whilst I still feel that some fans do get much too carried away and need to calm down a little and have a little more respect, I don't suppose it will ever happen. So, you will continue to have the mob scenes, but you will also get the few quiet opportunities where Michael can chat calmly to other fans, which is what he often seems to want to do if people will just stay calm enough. As I haven't actually seen Michael yet, I don't know for sure exactly how I will react - but I do feel sure that I won't scream or run at him or grab him, it's not the sort of thing I do. But, I do concede, that until it happens, I can't be sure that I won't "lose it"... I just hope that I don't.

MJISHOT

I havent witnessed it myself, but ive heard so many stories. Many fans dont care about anyone else... like elaine said, they will push, kick, anything to get close to Michael without a care for him or others. I cant say i wouldnt act like that as ive never been in that situation yet, but personally id want Michael to trust me, feel able to come over and say hello without being pushed to the ground. Im sure if the fans were calmer he'd come out alot more and chat. Im not judging anyone, as like i said, i cant say how id react... maybe id be exactly the same... but from an outside view...

privacy

When I first heard about it, I was disgusted at the fans for crowding.

After being there today, it's mainly the photographers pushing and shoving. They don't care who they push and hurt as long as they get their picture. Sarah (offthewall) got hurt yesterday and today.. and the photographer just looked right through her, as if it didn't even register that he was hurting someone.

Fans do get over excited, but i believe michael can cope with it. Prince and Paris are fine, they get out the car and either lunge towards the door or are carried.. Michael's perfectly able to look after himself.

Originally posted by HoldMeThrillMe
I was caught up in one scene in NYC with MJ once ... and irrespective of how much he doesn't want his hair ripped off his head or anyone to get hurt, he KNOWS it's just love, thats why despite the fact that he might be a little fearful for his kids, he's OKAY and that's why he was grinning while climbing on top of his car with his most devoted fans just wanting to get a touch from him.

And Prince and Michael weren't pushed to the ground yesterday, that was a load of crap. Security instructs them to get down low and "go go go" when theres a mob scene because then people lose track of where he is and he can escape to safety. The same crap happened in 2002 when MJ was "knocked down" in London, he wasn't knocked ... it was just a security technique. Get to the ground and crawl away. He did it in Sydney too when the barricades where knocked down in George Street.

Mostly its the paparazzi that cause it and maybe a couple of psychotic fans who won't listen to security.

If he doesn't like the situation, he should think twice before leaving anywhere without a bigger entourage of security. Fans will be fans, they get caught up in the moment. It's easily done -- especially when it's Michael Freakin' Jackson in front of ya.

I hate that "he's just like you and me" bullshit. If he's just so normal and like you or I, then he wouldn't be who he is, where he is, or receiving the love and adoration that he does. You wouldn't be wasting your time at a Michael Jackson fan forum and you certainly sure as hell wouldn't be losing any sleep over him.

I really hate it when fans judge other fans. Sure a handful of fans sometimes ruin it for everyone else, but generally it's not as bad as it seems. And the BS generalisations have to stop. Not every idiotic fan represents the fan base as a whole You can't tar everyone with the one brush.

And again, its easy for you all to judge sitting on your arse from home and watching from afar.... You don't know unless you're actually in the situation for yourself. It's so bloody irritating. Ive heard fans ranting and raving about what other fans do and how disrespectful they are, and then in the very next instance when Michael is in front of them, they are just as guilty of doing the exact same thing if not more so.

I think that ppl just need to mind their own business. MJ and his security can clearly take care of him.

AMEN. VERY well said. Sure, fan events have the tendancy to turn into "mob" scenes, but to concentrate just on this one aspect and not the POSITIVE things that come from Michael events/apperances is just not fair..not to the fans, not to him. If he was really that put off by all that, he would find a way to avoid such situations. But instead, he just keeps on participating in them. It's obvious that he enjoys and greatly radiates through the LOVE of his fans :) Yes, the "mobbing" irritates me too, but to concentrate just on that and not on the POSITIVES is really a true shame. In short: as I've said before, there needs to be a happy medium. That's all..:)

Originally posted by privacy

After being there today, it's mainly the photographers pushing and shoving. They don't care who they push and hurt as long as they get their picture. Sarah (offthewall) got hurt yesterday and today.. and the photographer just looked right through her, as if it didn't even register that he was hurting someone.

Fans do get over excited, but i believe michael can cope with it. Prince and Paris are fine, they get out the car and either lunge towards the door or are carried.. Michael's perfectly able to look after himself.

That's so good to know. :) And it all goes back to the point that you really cannot know or judge a situation until you are there yourself. The press loves to exaggerate and "run" with petty details and turn them into "headlines" (ex: the "Blanket Incident" or that day at court in March when they claimed that he was "sobbing" in court from his back pain. I was inside that day---yes, he was weeping, dabbing his eyes with a tissue, but NOT outright, LOUDLY sobbing. That is an exaggeration..) , especially when it comes to Michael. So it is so good and refreshing to hear the REAL story by someone who was actually there. Thank you for that :)

In truth, I can really and truly see both sides. The sides of the people upset with the mobbing, as well as the people who think it has been taken out of context. As I've said before, there just needs to be a happy medium at fan events. Fans can and SHOULD act like FANS, just use common sense and not actually physically hinder or scare Michael/his children. Most fans are really good with this--it's just a few that give everyone a bad name in instances like this. And that's sad...*sighs*

The most important thing is to concentrate on the POSITIVE things: the love between Michael and his fans and all that comes from it. Because THAT's beautiful..:)

minnie michael

yes i also feel worried about the babes..and maybe they felt scared of those screaming and crowd..but MIke always love to go everywhere with his babes cos he wanna them go to threate and go to museum like other kids out there..i am sure fans know how to behave ourselves of course we love mIke and wanna shake his hands and do something but we canot forget we are MIke and his babes' solid guard we have to protect them from those blooding media's hurting..especially lil kids..

i feel relieved after knowing Paris waved at fans..that's mean that lil Princess is happy and not scared..let''s NOT make MIke feel sad..his babes is his entire life donot make MIke feel sad..ok.. just wishing and praying Mike and his babes have a good trip..safe and happy.. :thumbsup

minnie michael

i feel like crying after reading that note from a fan ..fans canot do that to Mike... he is OUR Mike..please we have been looking forward to meeting him for months and we have been missing MIke for months..and we have been dreaming of Mike and want MIke happy for months..but when Mike show up some of fans totally forget how much we love him..love is based on respect and protection..love is not acting like crazy or wanna eat him up..please..donot hurt Mike..

i also believe most of fans NOT like this...wishing..

Off_the_wall

Originally posted by privacy

yer that bastard with the helmet! :hitting

privacy

^ haha he was such a bitch. I think I scared him by threatening him with his own areas of himself that might hurt if i kicked rather hard :)

I also threatened to break his camera haha Wish I did now.