The College Thread (Advice, Experiences, etc)

Hey guys... so... I feel like MJEOL has seen me grow up. I've probably been around since 8th grade?

And, well, now I'm going to be a senior in high school, which is exciting, and at the same time a very scary time... mostly due to the thoughts of college applications, and acceptances or rejections. And, I'm not ashamed to say it--regardless of my scores, activities, resume sheet, etc--I'm having a lot of anxiety. My friends are not making it any easier with their own anxiety.

A few friends and I got together and we began comparing colleges... We've mainly been considering schools in Virginia. The dream (for me) is William and Mary. The out-of-state ones I am considering are Yale and Harvard, which sounds horribly pretentitous, but both schools have been very kind and on top of things with me so I might as well try. Anyway, as we were comparing colleges, I noticed I haven't been too objective. Visiting U of Maryland taught me there are some great things out there I never thought about...

So, my question for those entering college, for those in college (four year, or community college), or those out of college--what was your experience with applications like, what college do you attend, do you like it/would you recommend taking a look at it, what about the social atmosphere (liberal, highly conservative?) and any advice on financial aid. I'm thinking of compiling your thoughts and writing something for my friends. We're all still looking for more colleges and I think that asking people who have been there in other states, will give us an idea of how we can stand out from others, and what works as well as what doesn't. It will also give us an idea of the campus, social life, etc... especially during these times when due high gas prices making college trips has become harder.

Thanks.

MJfan01'

I just completed my first year of college and it was totally different from high school. In high school you get more than one chance (extra credit) to pass the class. Most of your core curriculum is not even toward your degree. My history and science classes only had four grades (which sucke).I got to school in UT-San Antonio and the new law in Texas is that you can only drop six classes throughout your entire college career. Financial Aide can be difficult. Apparentyly my parents make too much money but debt is a nasty thing. They make too much money so I didn't get that much. Apply for as money scholarships as possible. Something I should have done. I suffered through a few a panic attacks in my first semester. i don't really have much of a social life but my guess is that it moderate toward liberal. I don't have a car so I just take the city bus which is free is you go to UTSA. I am queen of anxiety but most schools should have counselors if you ever needed it. Of course if you party watch your drink. lol I hope that helped.

MJfan01';205686 said:
I just completed my first year of college and it was totally different from high school. In high school you get more than one chance (extra credit) to pass the class. Most of your core curriculum is not even toward your degree. My history and science classes only had four grades (which sucke).I got to school in UT-San Antonio and the new law in Texas is that you can only drop six classes throughout your entire college career. Financial Aide can be difficult. Apparentyly my parents make too much money but debt is a nasty thing. They make too much money so I didn't get that much. Apply for as money scholarships as possible. Something I should have done. I suffered through a few a panic attacks in my first semester. i don't really have much of a social life but my guess is that it moderate toward liberal. I don't have a car so I just take the city bus which is free is you go to UTSA. I am queen of anxiety but most schools should have counselors if you ever needed it. Of course if you party watch your drink. lol I hope that helped.

Thanks for the info. When we said anxiety, my friends and I meant we are nervous about the process, not that we were suffering from the medical aspect of anxiety, and panic attacks. Your information is VERY APPRECIATED! I never even considered a school in San Antonio.

I'm already applying for scholarships. :D

mjj_girl05

I'm currently in college right now. I go to a technical school called Platt College in California. I got about 11 more months more to go until I graduate with my Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting. I'm soon gonna become a Radiology Technician. I didn't wanna spend 4 or more years in school going at a slow pace and wasting time and money. I wanted to get in and get out. I wanted to receive hands on training and the exact education I needed for my career with no pointless classes. That's why I chose to go to a technical school. Honestly, a technical school is the same thing as a university except there are no summer vacations. You have to pick the right technical school. Most technical schools only offer certificates but my school, Platt College, is nationally accredited and offers degrees like universities. You just have to choose the right school. I went to community college before I went to Platt but I hated it and dropped out and enrolled at Platt. Don't drop out the way I did though. Not the smartest thing to do. hahaha.

For me, college is a lot more fun than high school. I got mature people in my class and they're there to learn and get an education, not because they're forced to be there. You'll meet great new people that are dedicated and hard working. I love college a lot more than high school. That's just me though. If you need any help with applications and financial aid, I'll be glad to help you because I've filled out my share of applications and I have gone through the financial aid process with my school. I received grants (loans you don't have to pay back) that paid for 65% of my school and the last 35% is paid by government loans. Any questions, I'll help out ;)

If you know the career you wanna do like I did, it makes things a lot easier because you can check to see if the school you want has the classes you need. Again, I can help to the best of my ability if needed.

mjj_girl05;205699 said:
If you need any help with applications and financial aid, I'll be glad to help you because I've filled out my share of applications and I have gone through the financial aid process with my school. I received grants (loans you don't have to pay back) that paid for 65% of my school and the last 35% is paid by government loans. Any questions, I'll help out ;)

If you know the career you wanna do like I did, it makes things a lot easier because you can check to see if the school you want has the classes you need. Again, I can help to the best of my ability if needed.

Thanks. I might take you up on the financial aid stuff. :D Though FAFSA doesn't seem hard to fill out... you never know 'til you get there...

I do know what career I want--I want to go into international law, possibly with a concentration in human rights. That means a major in International Relations, pre-law, and a possible minor in psychology. Therefore, I would need a four year college and then law school. And I agree, it has helped me narrow down schools. THANK YOU FOR THAT ADVICE. I'll definitely take you up on the help offer for applications and it was great to know that there are some great opportunities with technical school... ;) I'll look up Platt.

Just_Peachy

I started to go to school at Kent State University -stark campus. I was studying psychology and English. At the time I wanted to be a teacher. Then I changed my mind again and wanted to be a psychology and then again to become a counselor. And then again for art. Toward the art part of my decision I stopped going to college. I realized that I was just wasting my time and money on figuring out what I really wanted to do... Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. I'm still trying to decide on what I want to do, and I'm unsure if I want to continue college...

My husband goes to Kent Stark State University... four year degree in Psychology. He's doing well but will eventually have to move to another college to finish the degree.

I recommend Kent State (Main Campus). It's actually located in Kent, Ohio. Ohio isn't that far from Virginia, so you'll be able to make trips back as necessary. Also, Kent State is a GREAT school, but if you're looking to go into Law, then you may just want to consider Yale or Harvard. If you can get into those schools... go for it!!! It'll look way better on any resume for any job! Stick with the good schools!

As for financial aid, try out that FAFSA you were talking about. Although, you will get more money if you don't live with your parents, because they would have a combined income. You can also search at colleges that are around you to see if they have any pamphlets in their administrations office. Also, try to apply for some grants... they are really the way to go! And, if that isn't enough, you can always take out loans for every semester through your bank. My husband did this, and he doesn't have to pay the loans back until after he graduates. And, I'm sure most loans would have a payment plan of some sort so they get their money back.

GOOD LUCK!:)

Aww, senior year....seems like just yesterday, yet so long ago. :p LOL. It's a really special, exciting time! :) I was in your position three years ago (I graduated HS in May of '05).

Well, I started off at a community college in my town where I got my Associates (well, the bulk of it at least. I'm still working on the math portion of my General Studies unfortunately, but I still had enough credits to transfer), then transfered to the University of Arizona here in Tucson, where I'm now working on my Bachelor's in English. I personally found it easier to adapt to the University setting after I had some college experience under my belt (don't mean to scare you, lol, but it's a BIG transition, esp. if you are from a smaller community/came from a pretty small High school like I did Plus it's MUCH more economical, since you're studying about the same things you'd be studying at the University at that level anyway). But to each is own, of course. :)

The University of Arizona is really neat. While it is a more research oriented school (as opposed to a liberal arts one), it's still a pretty liberal institution (well for Arizona anyway..) with a lot of emphasis on the arts and politics and causes. I'm an in state student so my tuition isn't all that expensive and I was lucky enough to qualify for quite a bit of financial aid, so I got my tuition paid for from that (and loans and other money to help with living expenses). Do you plan on living on or off campus where you go (I live off campus here, in an apartment. But there are a lot of on campus options here as well )? Because that also influences how much aid you will get; they tend to give you more in that situation, as your cost of attendance will be considered higher. Financial aid can be a pain in the BUTT, as there are so many things to be considered, things to file, people to talk to, etc, but is SO worth it. :)

What are you planning on studying?

Just_Peachy;205706 said:
I recommend Kent State (Main Campus). It's actually located in Kent, Ohio. Ohio isn't that far from Virginia, so you'll be able to make trips back as necessary. Also, Kent State is a GREAT school, but if you're looking to go into Law, then you may just want to consider Yale or Harvard. If you can get into those schools... go for it!!! It'll look way better on any resume for any job! Stick with the good schools!

Although, you will get more money if you don't live with your parents, because they would have a combined income. GOOD LUCK!:)

I have heard of Kent--they've sent me quite a few stuff, though I never looked at it closely. :) Well, the good thing about Law is that while Yale and Harvard have great Law schools, I don't have to go there to get into them... but I'm still going to try; I figure I might as well seeing as they're giving me every opportunity to do so. Thanks for the encouragement. :wub:

Ah yes, see, my parents are divorced, and my Dad lives in another country so FAFSA will work a little bit different for me than if I had both parents bringing in combined income. Hopefully I can keep away from loans, but if I need them, I need them. Say hello to your husband and see if maybe he can tell me about his experience with psychology? :lol I have another friend who also is thinking about psychology and pre-med.

InspirationMoonwalks;205708 said:
What are you planning on studying?

:) Thank you for your comment. The good thing about VA is that community colleges here have an agreement with really great schools like UVA and William and Mary to accept students straight from community college if they have a certain GPA so that is always an option. Well, I decided on doing either a double major or a major and a minor with international relations and psychology, and pre-law involved. I'd eventually like to end up in international law with an emphasis in human rights or sociopolitical issues... I haven't decided between public or private international law, or supranational, but I figure I can find that out later. (>.< I know right? How the hell do I know what I want to do so young, right? I've kind of known since... sophomore year...) I really like psychology, so I don't know if along the way I'll change to medical school for psychiatry. :8-26-03fruits_apple

For those unfamiliar with international law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_law

Any more comments are appreciated. Thank you so much for all the help you guys.

to accept students straight from community college if they have a certain GPA so that is always an option.

That's pretty much what I did once I had enough credits from the community college to go over to the University. It makes the process of getting in SO much easier (and I didn't even have to take the SAT! :p) But I'm sure you could get in either way..it's just something to think about. :)

Well, I decided on doing either a double major or a major and a minor with international relations and psychology, and pre-law involved

I'm doing pre-law as a minor, too! :) I'm majoring in English with a double minor (because I couldn't decide lol and love them equally!) of PreLaw and Creative Writing, because I plan on going to law school and eventually practicing as a defense attorney and/or a civil rights attorney. So that's so cool that you're interested in the law field as well! :cool:

InspirationMoonwalks;205738 said:
I'm doing pre-law as a minor, too! :) I'm majoring in English with a double minor (because I couldn't decide lol and love them equally!) of PreLaw and Creative Writing, because I plan on going to law school and eventually practicing as a defense attorney and/or a civil rights attorney. So that's so cool that you're interested in the law field as well! :cool:

Another aspiring lawyer! That's so awesome! :D Oh, I wanted to do some creative writing in high school, but I could never fit it in... I'm really hoping I can sneak in a couple of writing classes in college, and some more languages. Can you tell me a little bit of what creative writing as a minor has been liked?
And it is so awesome you found a school that offers pre-law as a minor/major... those are rare. Usually many schools only offer the pre-proffesional counseling, or the program to help you on your way, but no actual prep classes... I'll have to research Arizona now. :)

R e a f u

Didn't realize how many post-highschool students there were here *waves to everyone*! As for me and school, I'm nearing the finishline! After nearly 3 years of studying, I'm one course away from graduating and getting my degree in pharmaceutical sciences from college. It's been quite an experience, for one I applied to 3 universities and two colleges: 2 of the universities wanted me, 1 had a much more difficult program but that I wanted to do, but unfortuneately they were full and the colleges both wanted me. So I ended up going with the college that didn't require a lot of travel and offered a program that would allow me to go on to university and get higher degree's if I wished. One thing that really struck out for me was how competitive people are and the amount of pressure and stress is placed on students to achieve, so much so, that the campus therapists claim most of their patients are people from my program...did I forget to mention we have a 98% dropout/failure rate. So many people I've befrended back in 2005 are in other programs or just not in school anymore, I guess it shows my staying power right :O?

As for finanacial aid, I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but here in Canada they're very strict in whom can and cannot apply for student loans. Also if you do poorly markswise they'll bar you from receiving your loan for 1 year untill your marks improve. They also give you a hard time getting a loan if you have a job already, even if it doesn't pay that much(that's me). But all in all, I'd say it was a good experience, once you get used to the travelling and doing the assignments, then you're set! Just glad it's almost over, maybe I'll work for a while and possibly go back to school to become a virologist(something I've been really interested in for a while). Another thing I absolutely need and want to do, is try taking a course or two in graphic art...yeah totally unrelated to science, but it's my passion. I wish you and all the students here, all the best :D!

R e a f u;205746 said:
Another thing I absolutely need and want to do, is try taking a course or two in graphic art...yeah totally unrelated to science, but it's my passion. I wish you and all the students here, all the best :D!

Graphic art! That's great. I really do hope you go for it. My Dad lives in Peru and he pretty much works with all that has to do with software design all the way to graphic art, including websites, etc, so I guess I learned a little of everything along the way just by watching a lot... He was teaching a few college classes two years ago, which was pretty cool. But it was more for software design than graphic art.

My computer crashed, though, and I got a new one, but all my old software is pretty much gone so I don't do any art anymore... I just draw and scan. Oh, and well, I paint--I finally got good enough with the knife as well. Good luck! And thanks for giving me Canadian information :D

R e a f u

Oh thank you! I've been doodling since I was itty bitty and my family, especially my mom and sister have been saying I should try something with the art, so I'll give it a shot. You know there's lots of inexpensive and free art programs online? You should give Sai Paint or GIMP(which is totally free!) a try :D!

R e a f u;205748 said:
Oh thank you! I've been doodling since I was itty bitty and my family, especially my mom and sister have been saying I should try something with the art, so I'll give it a shot. You know there's lots of inexpensive and free art programs online? You should give Sai Paint or GIMP(which is totally free!) a try :D!

I know about GIMP... Sai Paint I'll have to take a look at. Thanks! I really should get back to it. I was making stuff for restaurants, and ad places and earning some nice cash I'll probably want back for college applications. How good is Sai Paint?

And definitely try something with art. :D You never know where your passions may take you... http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/commoncold.html just look at the cute giant microbes... intelligent, creative and artistic minds put together! Now imagine what you could do! Please follow your aspirations. :D

R e a f u

Haven't used painter myself but I know of one girl (who sadly had her deviantart page hacked and banned) who used sai and from the looks of it, it's great for outlining stuff :D. And those plush viruses are adorable...dang now I want to make vector art of staph bacteria XD!