The Innocent Man by Michael Jackson

HeavenSent

Handwritten Lyrics.

The%20Innocent%20Man.jpeg

MICHAEL JACKSONThe Innocent Man, 2005
A single page of lyrics entitled ‘The Innocent Man’, the 13 lines for the chorus written in pencil beginning: ‘If I sail to Acapulco’, and ending: ‘And only God knew I was innocent now’. 28 x 21.5 cm. (11 x 8 1/2 in). These lyrics were apparently written during Michael Jackson’s child abuse trial in 2005.

ESTIMATE £8,000-12,000
PROVENANCE Private collection, United States

http://www.phillipsdepury.com/auctio...der=&lotnum=52

If I sail to Acapulco or Cancun Mexico
There the law is waiting for me
and God knows that I'm innocent

If they wont take me in Cairo
then lord where will I go?

I’ll die a man without a country
and only God knew I was innocent now

-------
:(

swan1013

That breaks my heart, just finished reading the GQ article by Mary Fischer, have no words just tears and sadness.

HeavenSent

That GQ article should be required reading. Sadly, it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

As for these lyrics, I always think back to how Michael never wanted his children to know the pain and the anguish he was going thru during the trial when this was reportedly written. These words obviously paints the true picture of what was going on inside of him and that makes me both angry and sad.

On the flip side, it also goes to show what a strong-willed man he was. He was still a wonderful father and he still did for others, despite his personal pain. I don't know anyone who wouldn't just give up after all he went thru!

Cristine87

HeavenSent;227102 said:
That GQ article should be required reading. Sadly, it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Ain't it the truth! The fans have to go and investigate for themselves, cause the press is just out for anything salacious, so they're no help! I find it extremely sad that Michael had to die, for positive information to come out on him. I'd give anything to have been there when he was going through those allegations, so I couuld just hold him every night before he went to sleep!

swan1013

Cristine87;227116 said:
Ain't it the truth! The fans have to go and investigate for themselves, cause the press is just out for anything salacious, so they're no help! I find it extremely sad that Michael had to die, for positive information to come out on him. I'd give anything to have been there when he was going through those allegations, so I couuld just hold him every night before he went to sleep!

Me too girl, me too!:)

Palmyra

There are no misspelled words in this...are you sure Michael wrote it? ;)

I know Michael is innocent, but I still haven't read the GQ article. Is it available somewhere? I may just have to buy it. Isn't this issue GQ's best-selling backissue (old issue)?

HeavenSent

:lol Actually Palmyra, Cancun is misspelled. You didn't catch that?

"Can coon"

The GQ article is on the main site, mjeol.com. I believe it's still there.

HeavenSent;227142 said:
:lol Actually Palmyra, Cancun is misspelled. You didn't catch that?

"Can coon"

Okay, so... until I read the typed out lyrics, I really had a 'what in the world...?' moment. It was actually a really funny moment that simply cemented what my friends already knew: my mind is a little bit weird. So instead of trying to make sense of the word as 'cancun' I was trying to figure out why he wanted to use the word cocoon... Lauren had to point the typed out words to me. On another funny, interesting note... my friend Natalie pointed out that my cursive looks like this. This is a terrible blow to my ego as I used to have incedibly beautiful cursive as a child. Not that this cursive isn't beautiful. It has personality! But... nevermind.

I also had to wonder as to the tense shift in the 'only god...' phrase.

This is a very sad little section... does anyone know if he wrote only the chorus or if he wrote out the lyrics to the whole thing? (And if he wrote the whole thing, are the other lyrics available somewhere?)

HeavenSent

aw, Sandra! :lol

I know no other information about this song or if it's online. I'm real curious if there is a finished product of it.

I adore Michael's mix of upper and lower case...you're right, it has personality! My own writing has really suffered over the years when it always used to be so impeccable. Sometimes I can't even read my own!

HeavenSent;227145 said:
aw, Sandra! :lol

I know no other information about this song or if it's online. I'm real curious if there is a finished product of it.

I adore Michael's mix of upper and lower case...you're right, it has personality! My own writing has really suffered over the years when it always used to be so impeccable. Sometimes I can't even read my own!

Yeah. I love it when handwriting has personality. It's like there's something else to analyze beyond just the words. I just don't write in cursive anymore. I might just make it a personal project to practice cursive again. It was just painful that Natalie had to make fun of my cursive, though now that I see it, I think handwriting changes based on the language much like our tone of voice changes based on language. I'll have to do a study on this at some point... pardon my geekiness, everyone.

And now! My thoughts on this piece!

Anyway, I've been researching this song and the only section that comes up is this and that the song was written in 2005, which seems to give it some sense of 'completion'--it's a misleading thought because we'll never know if it was finished or not until someone comes out with the whole thing (if this ever happens)... but I sort of feel like this wasn't meant to be a song. It's silly, it's just a really strong feeling that this just started out as a scribble that turned into a poem that became a chorus, though maybe that's me injecting my own process into it... But, I don't know about the rest of you guys (and tell me what your experiences are), but if sometimes you have like a rhythm in your head that's just bothering you (a rhythm. it doesn't have to be actual music... like poetry meters are rhythms...)

I feel stupid about this. But I'm sure some of you guys are the same way. I have a jukebox in my head. I have music playing 24/7. Mostly because I play instruments by ear so sometimes my ear will retain sounds and just play them and play them and then find them in other songs... and sometimes if something doesn't leave me alone, I'll be in class or whatever and I'll just scribble out a phrase. And that phrase strikes me as needing something. And a poem might come out. Sometimes the rhymth turns into a story or an essay or a painting. Whatever. The point is, sometimes something just comes out and you intend for it to be so much more, but it just stays perfect being that little thing. Does that make sense? And I feel like there's a sense of finality about this piece. Like this is all there is to it. I feel so stupid because I want there to be more because I feel like there should have been more to this piece... like whatever should have been above and below it would have been a really interesting study and the nerd in me just wants to see it. So if there is something more to this, I'll be really excited to see it, but there's something really strong inside me saying that this was it... and I'm depressed about this now. So yeah. Sorry about this being ridiculously long.