The Lion King 3D

MJfan01'

Exceeding even the most generous prognostications, the 3D re-release of The Lion King ascended to first place on Friday with an estimated $8.8 million. Among the other openers, Drive had a solid start that couldn't quite live up to Internet buzz, while Straw Dogs and I Don't Know How She Does It didn't know how to draw audiences.

The Lion King (in 3D) earned its $8.8 million from 2,330 locations, nearly all of which were playing the movie in 3D. That's more than twice as much as the Toy Story/Toy Story 2 (3D) double-feature re-release grossed on its first day two years ago ($3.3 million), and it's also slightly better than September 2009's animated hit Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ($8.1 million). Typically family fare sees a huge jump on Saturday, and based on historical antecedents The Lion King should be headed for somewhere between $31 and $35 million for the three-day frame.

Last weekend's winner Contagion had to settle for second place on Friday, dipping 42 percent to $4.6 million. That's a tad steeper than last September's The Town (40 percent), though it's still a decent hold. Through eight days in theaters, the Steven Soderbergh epidemic thriller has earned $34.3 million.

Drive debuted to just over $4 million from 2,886 locations, which is much better than Shoot 'Em Up and Eastern Promises ($1.9 million), though the latter was playing at less than half the number of theaters. Also, as hard as it is to believe this is the third-best opening day for star Ryan Gosling, behind Crazy, Stupid, Love. and The Notebook. Still, the movie should only wind up at $11 or $12 million for the weekend, which makes it the latest example of how endless Internet hype is rarely a strong indicator of mainstream appeal.

Straw Dogs disappointed with a paltry estimated $1.99 million from 2,408 theaters. That's way off from similar titles The Last House on the Left ($5.6 million) and Lakeview Terrace ($5.1 million), and it will be lucky to crack $6 million for the three-day period.

It appears women opted to catch up on The Help (or see it for a second time) on Friday instead of checking out the latest comedy from Sarah Jessica Parker. The late Summer hit eased just 28 percent to $1.93 million for a total of $142.9 million, while I Don't Know How She Does It debuted to just $1.56 million from 2,476 locations. That's lower than underperforming Fall movies You Again ($2.7 million) and Morning Glory ($3.1 million), and is also off from Parker's Did You Hear About the Morgans? ($2.34 million). It's in line to finish the weekend with under $5 million.

Neither of last weekend's lesser newcomers saved much face in their second frame. Warrior tapped out with an estimated $897,000 (off 49 percent) and has earned a paltry $8 million so far. That's an impressive performance, though, compared to Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, which plummeted 76 percent to just $130,000 (a per theater average of $87). The Adam Sandler-produced comedy has made $2.1 million through eight days in theaters.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOIu472cCq0[/media]
I just saw this last night. I just love the lion king. :yaychibi

Cameron

I am trying to see if going to watch Beauty and the Beast in 3D would be good or just distracting. Heck, I probably will see it, just because it's my favorite Disney movie of all time... but I want people's reviews who have actually seen the other Disney movie in 3D; all the reviews on review sites about TLK3D were written BEFORE it came out, just more predictions of what the movie would be like rather than what it actually WAS like.

Would it be worth it?