The Song "Little Susie"

DirtyDiana87

Hi MJEOLers,

I know that this is going to sound odd but I was listening to the second disc of Michael's HIStory album, and the song "Little Susie" really got to me so much so that I got teary eyed listening to it. I know at that time Michael was telling His Story, but where do you all think such a sad song cane from? Keep in mind that I was only a little girl when HIStory was released, so I didn't understand where these songs came from until I got older, however when I heard "Little Susie" I was like what the hell. So would you all mind discussing this song with me? Thank you!

Teva

It sounds like he was writing a track for a movie. It sounds like he was playing a scene from a movie in his head.

LittleSusie50

I have always been curious about that song too.
I assumed it was about a little girl who was being physically abused for
a long time and then died from yet another attack.
I'm guessing, I don't really know.
I also found it interesting that he used the name Susie again in BOTDF... :idontknow :crystalball

oldschoolfan

The song is about a girl that was neglected and ended up dead because nobody cared for her, hence the line 'neglection can kill like a knife in your soul'. Her family all died, she was all alone, nobody did anything to help her, and she fell down the stairs and died (whether or not someone pushed her or she just fell). Then when she died, everyone suddenly decided to appear and care about her, something they should have done before she was dead, not when it was too late.
APPARENTLY, although I'm not 100% sure, it is loosely based on an actual person who if I remember correctly died in the 70's.
This song has always given me the geebies, I have never been able to listen to it while I'm in bed at night, I know I'm not the only one that feels that way!

DirtyDiana87

[quote name="oldschoolfan"]The song is about a girl that was neglected and ended up dead because nobody cared for her, hence the line 'neglection can kill like a knife in your soul'. Her family all died, she was all alone, nobody did anything to help her, and she fell down the stairs and died (whether or not someone pushed her or she just fell). Then when she died, everyone suddenly decided to appear and care about her, something they should have done before she was dead, not when it was too late.
APPARENTLY, although I'm not 100% sure, it is loosely based on an actual person who if I remember correctly died in the 70's.
This song has always given me the geebies, I have never been able to listen to it while I'm in bed at night, I know I'm not the only one that feels that way![/quote]

Oldschoolfan,
Do you think it could be possible that Michael knew this girl from his childhood?

DirtyDiana87

[quote name="LittleSusie50"]I have always been curious about that song too.
I assumed it was about a little girl who was being physically abused for
a long time and then died from yet another attack.
I'm guessing, I don't really know.
I also found it interesting that he used the name Susie again in BOTDF... :idontknow :crystalball[/quote]

Me too! Or maybe Susie just fit when he was writting BOTDF??

OneMoreChance

While I find this song incredible sad, it's solid proof that Michael was capable of composing amazing music. Imagine this song without the words. Just the music. The musical composition is just beautiful. I would love to hear some more classical type music from Michael.

oldschoolfan

[quote name="DirtyDiana87"]

Oldschoolfan,
Do you think it could be possible that Michael knew this girl from his childhood?[/quote]
Hmm I'm not sure, I don't think so. I can't really remember where I saw that but I think they said it might only be BASED on a real girl.

oldschoolfan

[quote name="LittleSusie50"]Some speculate that Susie in BOTDF was a code name for AIDS...saw it on Wikipedia a few weeks ago I think.
Interesting...[/quote]
BOTDF isn't based on AIDS (never trust Wikipedia for facts, it gets them wrong sometimes).
Here is an interview excerpt where Michael is explaining it in a book I have-

Adrian Grant- BOTDF is a very striking title. Is the song about AIDS?

Michael-No it isn't, not at all. Actually I didn't create the title, my engineer Teddy Riley thought of the title, which I thought was cool, so I wrote the song around the title.

Michael also said in the interview that he dedicated BOTDF to Elton John for his help in 1993, but he regretted dedicating that particular song and wished it had been something like YANA instead. He also tried to appologise to Elton on TV but they never showed it.

Saphster

Know what? I've never even heard this song before. I've only read the lyrics. I'm a terrible fan. :shutup

I can never find HIStory volume 2 anywhere and have never saved up enough to buy it online. And limewire never seems to have it. Is it on youtube?

oldschoolfan

Yeah I'm sure it's on there somewhere. It starts out a bit like WYBT with a choir, except kind of creepy. Or maybe haunting is a better word for it.

craze4mj

Little susie is just a name used for girls

has anyone listened to P.O.D's Youth of the nation? they also reference little susie

its like debbie downer etc.

the story is based on a girl, like others have said, that was abused and neglected. no one pays attention to her, then she dies after an attack, and thats when everyone crowds around her as if they love her

imo its eerily similar to mike in that he was neglected but once he passes everyone's got their crocodile tears and talking about him like they were buddies