Thriller in second place

classicaldj

'Back in Black' cracks all-time top 5

Eagles, Jackson still lead list

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- AC/DC's 1980 breakthrough "Back in Black" has been certified for U.S. shipments of 21 million copies, tying it for fifth place with Billy Joel's "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & II" on the Recording Industry Assn. of America's all-time best-sellers list.

The Australian hard rock group's first album with lead singer Brian Johnson, who replaced Bon Scott following his alcohol-related death, "Back in Black" was originally released by Atco and was reissued in 2003 by Epic along with the rest of the band's catalog.

Joel's "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & II" reached 21 million in 2000. The leader of the list remains "Eagles/Their Greatest Hits" (Asylum), last certified in 2002 at 28 million. In second is Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (Epic), which reached 27 million in an April RIAA accounting, followed by Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (23 million/1999; Capitol) and "Led Zeppelin IV" (22 million/1999; Atlantic).

Elsewhere among the RIAA's May certifications is a triple-platinum award (U.S. shipments of three million) for AC/DC's 1976 set "High Voltage."

Others tipping new multi-platinum heights include Usher, whose latest album, "Confessions" (LaFace) has shipped nine million U.S. copies. Gwen Stefani's solo debut "Love, Angel, Music, Baby" (Interscope) hit the double-platinum mark, as did Rascal Flatts' "Feels Like Today" (Lyric Street) and Chicago's "The Very Best Of: Only the Beginning" (Rhino).

Newly minted platinum titles in May were "Barrio Fino" by Daddy Yankee (VI Music), Jack Johnson's "In Between Dreams" and "On and On" (Universal), Los Tigres Del Norte's "Jefe de Jefes" (Fonovisa), Jason Mraz's "Waiting for My Rocket To Come" (Elektra), Rob Thomas' "Something To Be" (Atlantic) and Queen's now-aptly titled "The Platinum Collection" (Hollywood).

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/0...reut/index.html

senecajackson

I'm confused on this subject!
How is Thriller said to be the biggest selling album of ALL TIME...but is second place!?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while...

Originally posted by senecajackson
How is Thriller said to be the biggest selling album of ALL TIME...but is second place!?

This is about the best selling-album only in the US.

Mack Dogg

Originally posted by senecajackson

Thriller is the biggest selling album of all time, because of the 50 million sold worldwide.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
seneca, I think you have a misunderstanding somewhere.

For the minute, I'm going to put aside the fact that I think the record company's fight with Mike will never afford him an accurate accounting of his sales unless they are FORCED by law to do so.

Anyway, Mike has sold over 100Million albums in his career. He has the biggest selling album in the world with THriller.

Speaking as an American, sometimes some of us really don't care about the international music scene.

sistahlamb

I'm confused.

I think both of the album's worldwide sales are pretty close, but I'm also pretty sure Thriller is still the top selling album in terms of worldwide sales.

No offence to any1 at all, that's the last thing i would EVER want to do, but what is so great about the Eagles? And I'm surprised that its a greatest hits album that is the highest selling in america. But that's awesome that Michael is #2. We should be proud. Thriller is an awesome record!!

HeavenSent

Originally posted by whisper

Speaking as an American, sometimes some of us really don't care about the international music scene.
I agree. It's unfortunate though....I think a lot of us have missed out greatly; American music seems to be the only thing that matters.

QuietSoul

That is good. Thriller second place in America. :) First place worldwide, with I think, 60-70 million.

All together Michael's records sale are tremendous... something like 400 million. In the 1980's alone, he sold over 110 million records.

senecajackson

Originally posted by whisper
seneca, I think you have a misunderstanding somewhere.

For the minute, I'm going to put aside the fact that I think the record company's fight with Mike will never afford him an accurate accounting of his sales unless they are FORCED by law to do so.

Anyway, Mike has sold over 100Million albums in his career. He has the biggest selling album in the world with THriller.

Great point about Americans not caring about the international music scene! We're so arrogant , we'll I'm not but u get my point! They only care if it's bringing in the dough, not if it sounds great! Americans go with SENSATION and HYPE...not quality good music!

Yes Whisper, I do have a misunderstanding about the amount Thriller has sold, cause I'm hearing different numbers!
On the real tip, I really don't care about how much it sold...the FACT is that it's an awesome album that stands up to the test of time....
Still to this day people are buying that album!
Just the other day at my job, one of my students who is like 7 or 8 broke out singing P.Y.T.
It amazes me!
:thumbsup