You favourite album and why

oldschoolfan

Due to the question of why we hardly talk about Michael's music anymore I decided to make a thread that I was going to make earlier but never got around to. I have been trying to think of threads to make OTHER than stuff about paedophilia and who killed him and who is using him. When I first came to this site 7 years ago (it's really been that long...) it wasn't as angry as it is now and not as slow either. I think a lot of people have gone and there isn't so much to talk about now that Michael, you know, isn't planning on doing anything any time soon...

So perhaps we can try and start talking about other things in between the stuff that's going on now.

What is your favourite album and why?

For me it has to be Dangerous, other than the obvious reasons-
10hr1gn.jpg

:bowdown

I think it was Michael's one REAL album. Before Dangerous he was under the influence of Quincey, and after Dangerous Michael was angry with the charges made against him. Dangerous was the album were there was nobody guiding him, and he wasn't angry, it was just Michael. It's where he first TRULY came out with his message (HTW, BOW), and was more spiritual than any other album. I think it's the only album where we ever got to see who Michael truly was through his music.

And did I forget to mention-
michael_jacksons_most_iconic_fashion_choices.jpg

MJfan01'

My favorite album is "Bad"

michael_jackson_bad_cd_cover_1987_cdda.jpg

I love Bad because it's a great dance/pop/rock/r&B album. I love having so many genres of music on one album. "Man in the mirror" is my favorite song and it comes from this album and that's another reason why I love it so much. :biggrin

Saphster

Okay everyone has great points BUT...

This is like asking me what my favorite CANDY IS! It's impossible for me to just choose one! :shutup

I will say which ones I listen to the most.

Invincible
Dangerous
Blood on the Dance Floor

Invincible-because R&B Michael is something that I loooooooove very much. Speechless touches my heart. Especially knowing that Michael wrote it. Whatever Happens....spanish inspired. I could put that on repeat all day and never get bored. I've tested this out. I never get bored.

Dangerous-Almost every song is my favorite. I really love Who Is it. Every since I saw the video I fell in love with Michael even more and with the song as well. The beat is just amazing. Give in to me......LONG CURLS, ALL BLACK ON, GOLD NECKLACE, SMOKE, GUITAR, SEXY voice, sexy guy....need I say more?

Blood on the dance floor- that album is so underrated. I love BOTDF. The song is the $hit. Especially Ghosts, and Is It Scary. I LOVE those songs.

Teva

Bad is my fav followed closely by Dangerous. I love BAD because of the beats, they are so rythmic: Smooth Criminal even though I don't know what he is singing about, or understand the lyrics it transcends all that, and I just get caught up in the video and the dance. The title song BAD I just love the chorus, "who's baadd", the message and the story behind it, it all just comes together. TWYMMF, what more can I say: Classic, this song should be framed from the first beat I was hooked. MITM: This not just a favourite of mine from the BAD album, but IMO one of the best songs ever written.

As I, Turn Up The Collar On My
Favourite Winter Coat
This Wind Is Blowin' My Mind....
.....A Summer's Disregard,
A Broken Bottle Top
And A One Man's Soul
They Follow Each Other On
The Wind Ya' Know
'Cause They Got Nowhere
To Go
That's Why I Want You To
Know

Freaking brilliant!

Dirty Diana? Oh you guys don't want me to talk about that, that song is GOLD, and I saw the video on youtube, and MJ looked so so damn hot. The first few bars before he starts to sing, where he curls his lips, and hunches his shoulders, I caught the vapours.

Honestly I don't know why BAD did not win album of the year.

Cristine87

Oh wow! Where do I begin? It's a tie between Dangerous and History, there was just something about 90's era Michael that just drove me crazy. I think it had something to do with the fact that I was born in 1987, so I was a 90's child.

OneMoreChance

I'm going to have to go with Invincible! That album is just so sexy! Break of Dawn? That's a baby making song right there!

Butterflies is my fav song at the moment because it explains exactly the way that my boyfriend (you heard right :biggrin ) makes me feel. It's his ringtone on my phone!

Speechless is just such a beautiful song!

Teva

Correct! Invincible had some sexy songs.

My favourite off the album is 2000 Watts. I love the deep voice and ultra sexy lyrics. I like to play the song for friends and have them guess the singer, some get it right and others can't believe it was MJ. Again I don't know what he was singing about, was he singing about sex, or bass beats. Someone clue me in please?

Bass note, treble, stereo control, how low you go
Just enough to make your juices flow
Press play, don’t stop, rotate, too hot
You feel I’m real
I’m everything you need, so tell me what’s the deal

[CHORUS]
2000 Watts, 8 ohms, 200 volts, real strong
Too much of that, fuse blown
Be careful what you say don’t overload

3D, high speed, feedback, Dolby
Release two or three, when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak
Compact steelo, chico, D-Lo, highpost lady
Shorty really wanna be there for me

[CHORUS]

[AD LIBS]

Alijoy

[quote name="Teva"]Correct! Invincible had some sexy songs.

My favourite off the album is 2000 Watts. I love the deep voice and ultra sexy lyrics. I like to play the song for friends and have them guess the singer, some get it right and others can't believe it was MJ. Again I don't know what he was singing about, was he singing about sex, or bass beats. Someone clue me in please?

Bass note, treble, stereo control, how low you go
Just enough to make your juices flow
Press play, don’t stop, rotate, too hot
You feel I’m real
I’m everything you need, so tell me what’s the deal

[CHORUS]

3D, high speed, feedback, Dolby
Release two or three, when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak
Compact steelo, chico, D-Lo, highpost lady
Shorty really wanna be there for me

[CHORUS]

[AD LIBS]
[/quote]
"2000 Watts" is sex. All of the musical lingo he put in was just him being clever. Actually, I've been told, & would have to agree, that the song is about a woman's orgasm. He had to choices; really. Be slutty, like a lot of today's music is, when singing about sex, or sing about sexual pleasure, in a very clever way, to see if anybody even catches on. It was part of his image. He projected the image of a 'Peter Pan-like' character, but was all man. Just watch him dance, or videos of him blatantly flirting with women. He wanted to be mysterious & he succeeded; at least with most people.As for my favorite album, & song, I absolutely love "Invincibe". I love every single song on it. Picking a favorite song, out of all of his songs, is really hard. I would, probably have to go with "Man in the Mirror" or You Are My Life". I think "Man in the Mirror" is the quintiscential (sp?) song that carries his entire message that he tried so hard to promote. "You Are My Life" is so great, because it's just so sweet that he had a song for his kids. I assume it was for them. It certainly sounds like it. As for any other song I absolutely love, I'm a hopeless romantic, so all of his love songs get to me, but Michael could sing the phone book & I wouldn't care.

Saphster

I don't care what no one says. 2,000 watts is totally about sex.

Ever since I read it from someone on the KOP board. A member pointed out certain lyrics that I just never noticed or payed much attention to. Then, I thought to myself...hey...it is! I love that song.

oldschoolfan

MITM isn't my favourite of Michael's message songs for one main reason- he didn't write the song. BOW, HTW, ES, WYBT, he wrote those. But MITM was written by Siedah Garrett. I like songs that I know came from Michael.

Saphster

[quote name="oldschoolfan"]MITM isn't my favourite of Michael's message songs for one main reason- he didn't write the song. BOW, HTW, ES, WYBT, he wrote those. But MITM was written by Siedah Garrett. I like songs that I know came from Michael.[/quote]
Well yeah but we can't just kick the songs that he didn't provide just the lyrics for to the side. Obviously Michael put a lot of heart and soul into the musical aspect of all his songs and albums. Yeah he didn't write the lyrics for MITM but I'm sure he put in just as much work on the beats and rhythm of the songs he did not write. Plus, he hit some amazing notes in MITM. He sounded incredible. Still to this day I have to press 'forward' when I come to that song because it touches me too much. Not just for the words but I can feel his energy and his sadness.

Alijoy

[quote name="Saphster"]
[quote name="oldschoolfan"]MITM isn't my favourite of Michael's message songs for one main reason- he didn't write the song. BOW, HTW, ES, WYBT, he wrote those. But MITM was written by Siedah Garrett. I like songs that I know came from Michael.[/quote]
Well yeah but we can't just kick the songs that he didn't provide just the lyrics for to the side. Obviously Michael put a lot of heart and soul into the musical aspect of all his songs and albums. Yeah he didn't write the lyrics for MITM but I'm sure he put in just as much work on the beats and rhythm of the songs he did not write. Plus, he hit some amazing notes in MITM. He sounded incredible. Still to this day I have to press 'forward' when I come to that song because it touches me too much. Not just for the words but I can feel his energy and his sadness.[/quote]
Exactly!! It's silly to not like 1 of his songs just because he didn't write it. If I remember correctly, he asked Seidah Garrett to write a song for him & he wished he'd written it because he loved it so much.

oldschoolfan

Woah hold up, I didn't say I didn't like the song just because he didn't write it, I NEVER said that. I said it's not my favourite of his more meaningful songs because I love songs that I knew he wrote from his own mind. I never bashed the song or said I don't like it or said it was a shit song. I like songs Michael wrote himself, I always look to see which songs were written by him.

Alijoy

[quote name="oldschoolfan"]Woah hold up, I didn't say I didn't like the song just because he didn't write it, I NEVER said that. I said it's not my favourite of his more meaningful songs because I love songs that I knew he wrote from his own mind. I never bashed the song or said I don't like it or said it was a shit song. I like songs Michael wrote himself, I always look to see which songs were written by him.[/quote]
My mistake, but my point, & whoever else, mentioned him being involved in putting his signature style on it have the same point. All of his songs have that unique Michael stamp. Had I not heard over & over again that he hadn't written it, I would never have known. It sounds like something he would write.

Ben

I've been a fan since early 1983, and until 2002 when the promotion of Invincible stopped. I wasn't too focused on Michael's past albums era until then, I was interested in Michael's career was it was there an then, when I became a fan obviously Thriller was my favorite album. Then was Bad was released that was my favorite album until 2002 (and always has been my favorite era since it started in 1987). When Dangerous was released I was mostly focused on that album and era until HIStory was released etc. Invincible I never real got in to because it was an era that ended almost as soon as it started.

My Favorite Albums:

1. Off The Wall
I bought Off The Wall in between the releases of Thriller and Bad in the mid 1986. I have this album on Vinyl, Cassette, and 3 CD's (one of them a rare mini vinyl cover replica). I always loved Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, Workin' Day & Night, Get On The Floor, and Burn This Disco Out when I first bought the album. But I never really listened to the album or songs from Off The Wall very much. As I said I was alway focused mainly on Michael's very current music.

When the Off The Wall (Special Edition) was released in 2001, this brought the album back to my attention. It was the first time I'd really listend to it as an adult. And by now I had a more varied and sophisticated taste in music than I did as a child and teenager. I always loved the disco and new wave influenced era of around 1978-81, and even today I find that era fascinating as I feel it was the best era for music.

Anyway around 2002 I noticed I was listening to the Off The Wall album a lot more than Bad which was always my favorite Michael Jackson album. Songs I felt were good but not brilliant like Off The Wall and Rock With You, which I always knew were classics just sounding amazing, and I got the grooves of those songs I hadn't as a teenager. Girlfriend was still a song I skipped, It's The Falling In Love still sounded ok but nothing special. She's Out Of My Life sounded beautiful in a way it never used to sound to me, and I Can't Help It was both beautiful and surreal. As a kid I always wondered why Michael had those ballards on the album. I just wanted uptempo dance songs. As an adult I got what Michael was saying about Off The Wall telling a story, ie meeting a girl, having a romance, breaking up as in the song She's Out Of My Life etc.

I love the cohesivness of Off The Wall in the way the songs are kind of linked together to tell a story. Manly I love the free spirit of The Off The Wall album. You can hear the how free and unhibited Michael is singing the 3 songs he wrote for the album. This is a Michael Jackson without the pressure to selling huge amounts of album, or media intrustion. I love the fact this album is a 1970's album, because I feel that was the best decade for albums (Michael was one of the few people in my opinion to release all time great albums in the 1980's), and the quality of the album says a lot about that. Sadly songs like Don't Stop Till You Get Enough are over looked, just look at the songs fans voted for, for Michael to perform on his This Is It concerts, they were all from Thriller onwards. Michael was said to have been a bit disappointed nothing was selected from Off The Wall. I would loved to have seen Michael perform Don't Stop Till You Get Enough .

I don't know if I will have a different opinion of what my favorite Michael Jackson album is years to come, as I never expected to move Bad from my No.1 to No.2 after 15yrs of being my favorite, but for now it's still Off The Wall for it's free sprite and funkiness.

2. Bad

I loved this album as soon as I bought it on vinyl on it's release in 1987. I love every song on this album, and for that reason I would say this is Michael's most perfect album. My favorite songs on the album are Smooth Criminal, Speed Demon, Bad, Another Part Of Me and Dirty Diana. I feel the Bad album has a feel adrelin and high voltage feel to it. Could an album that scored 5 Number 1's in the USA not be called anything other that at least as near to perfect an album can be. Thriller may have had Billie Jean the ultimate single, and Beat It as Number 1's which are more classic singles. But look at the songs Michael got to No.1 with Bad from, they are also pure classics and Michael came up with the goods when the media were expecting him to fail.

I love the fact Michael wrote and composed 8 of the 10 songs on Bad, which is also what makes the Bad album very special to me.

3. Thriller

Like Off The Wall, I didn't realise what an amazing album Thriller was until the Thriller (Special Edition) in 2001. I knew these were amazing albums, but I just didn't appreciate actually how amazing they were because I'd just taken them for granted having bought them as a kid. Especially Thriller which I bought just before Michael went in to orbit and became a legend with his Motown 25 performance. For many years I viewed Thriller as just a collection of songs, and nothing more than that. Listening to it as an adult I heard a magical feel from it, I never heard before.

The Thriller album is both simple and highly sophisticated at the same time. It contains different genres of music, which should have made the album sound patchy, but the way the album was put together and the way Michael composed a rock songs like Beat It, it makes you see that great music is great music regardless of genre, and that is what I think was one of Michael's messages on Thriller. I hate choosing one of Michael's over another, because I actually think Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad are all as brilliant as each other. But some albums suit were we are at as indivuals better than others.

I have found myself listening to Thriller a lot over the last two years. My favorite songs on Thriller are Wanna Be Startin Somethin', Billie Jean, Beat It and Human Nature. Lady In My Life is also a beautiful song, very magical.

The funny thing about Michael's albums like Thriller and Bad, is that I have never listened to them in a nostalgic way in remembering my childhood and being a teenager (I was 11 when Thriller was released, and 15 when Bad was released). This albums and all of Michael's albums are always the present for me.

My next post will be about the HIStory album, which is my 4th favorite. I will say, I feel HIStory had he potential to be Michael's greatest album artistically if he had written, composed and produced the album completely by himself. Just listen to They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow and D.S, ok they are angry songs but amazing songs.

Cristine87

I think it's unfair how HIStory wasn't given the credit it deserved. Their are some amazing songs on there and people gave it these reviews like "Oh, he's paranoid and angry". Did they not witness what he went through during that period?

LadyinHisLife

I love all of his albums but Right now, Invincible is my favorite. I love all of the songs on that album. Don't walk away, Butterflies, 2000 Watts. I'm more of a lyrics person as opposed to the beats and the lyrics just move me!

I Love Thriller too!

Teva

[quote name="Teva"]What made Michael Jackson: MICHAEL JACKSON was not just the songs, but the delivery. For example, take a song like Man in the Mirror, and give it to the next biggest pop icon at the time: Prince, or Madonna, and it will never have the same impact. Michael had a unique talent of connecting with his audience and making them feel what he was feeling. All great artists can do this, but Michael Jackson did it better than anyone else. Lady in My Life is such a beautifully rendered song. The story behind it is, Quincy told Michael to sing it like he was begging; Michael being embarrassed made everyone leave the room during the recordings and had the lights turned off. I know MJ did not write all his recordings, but Michael breathe the breath of life into all his songs, the way he just delivered them was pure magic.

Now the songs in themselves are interesting because when you really listen to them you realize no one else could have pulled it off. Earth Song is so soulful, We’ve Had Enough, Heal The World, Will You Be There.. You have to wonder the place, or depths that these came from. Then you have the songs like: Thriller, Wanna be Startin Something, Smooth Criminal .. where I scratch my head :cantfigureout , but it doesn’t matter because they make you wanna dance. BTW I think Wanna Be Startin Something is brilliant, I love it more than Thriller.

Dolly Parton wrote a song, I Will Always Love You, and Whitney Houston remade it, and took it into outer space. No one can ever ever ever remake Thriller, Billie Jean, Human Nature etc and do a better job than MJ, and I would like to see the idiot that tries.[/quote]

Saphster

[quote name="oldschoolfan"]Woah hold up, I didn't say I didn't like the song just because he didn't write it, I NEVER said that. I said it's not my favourite of his more meaningful songs because I love songs that I knew he wrote from his own mind. I never bashed the song or said I don't like it or said it was a shit song. I like songs Michael wrote himself, I always look to see which songs were written by him.[/quote]
I know you didn't say you didn't like the songs. But I understand what you mean. I used to be the same way. I didn't really pay so much attention or give the songs that he didn't write so much credit.