From KOP site:::
know this is long, but if the defense and prosecutors can't see eye to eye on cutting the video down to 30 minutes the entire thng will be played - according to this article from the LA Times.
3:20 PM PDT, May 26, 2005 latimes.com
Jackson Jury Can Hear From Accuser Again
By Sally Connell and Michael Muskal, Special to The Times
SANTA MARIA, Calif. -- Jurors in the Michael Jackson molestation trial will get to see a July 2003 videotape of the accuser telling investigators the details of how he was allegedly molested by the pop star, but will not be allowed to see pictures of the singer's genitalia, Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville ruled this morning.
The judge also decided that the defense can call the boy, his mother, the lawyer who represented the family, and a psychologist as part of its rebuttal case.
If the boy and his mother are recalled, it would be a rerun of two of the more dramatic confrontations in the trial that began with opening statements in February.
Melville's rulings, one for the prosecution and one for the defense, mean that the rebuttal phase of the trial will last several more days than expected. The jury would have otherwise received the case early next week.
After Melville's rulings, the prosecution called eight witnesses today, bringing to 12 the number who have testified since the defense rested Wednesday. It was the kind of painstaking day of challenging details that draw few headlines but are potentially important for jurors.
On Wednesday, Santa Barbara County Dist. Atty. Thomas Sneddon said the videotaped interview was necessary to present to jurors because it showed the accuser's account in July 2003, just months after the molestations are alleged to have occurred. It was the first time the boy, now 15, had talked to a law enforcement official.
The interview with investigators from the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department came after the accuser told a psychologist, Stan Katz, of the alleged abuse. Katz was brought in by Larry Feldman, an attorney who was contacted because he was involved in another molestation case involving Jackson in the 1990s.
The earlier incident did not result in criminal charges, but did lead to a more than $20-million settlement paid by Jackson to the family of a young boy.
Both Katz and Feldman briefly testified for the prosecution. Under Melville's ruling, they could return to the stand.
The prosecution is hoping to use the tape to counter the defense's theory that the accuser had been extensively coached by his mother.
"They have said there were fabricated issues and scripted issues," Sneddon said Wednesday. "They created this issue through their own witnesses."
Defense attorney Robert Sanger argued that the prosecution was simply trying to get in the video to "leave the bell ringing in the jury's ears."
Sanger told the judge that if he allows the boy's videotape, then the defense will likely call the boy back to the stand. The accuser, a cancer survivor, testified in the opening days of March.
The tape is slightly longer than one hour, although Sneddon agreed with Melville that parts could be cut. Melville asked the prosecution and the defense to meet and decide which parts to eliminate.
Melville, however, noted that the contenders do not have a good record negotiating agreements, so the whole tape may be played.
The judge also rejected a prosecution request to allow documents from the early 1990s case to be introduced. The documents are a Los Angeles Police Department report that include the boy's description and drawings of Jackson's private anatomy and photographs taken of Jackson's body to locate unusual marks that could be used to confirm the boy's allegation.
The defense objected to the documents, which it described as an attempt to shock jurors. It also argued that it could not cross-examine the boy, who did not testify at this trial.
Jackson, 46, is accused of child molestation, attempted molestation, giving alcohol to the boy to aid in the molestation, and conspiracy to hold the accuser's family until they participated in a favorable video.
Among the other witnesses today was Gina Villegas, an office manager for Hollywood Ford, who testified that nobody using the name of the mother of the accuser bought a car there from January 2000 to January 2004.
During the defense case, there was evidence that the mother had a $23,000 money order made out to the Ford dealership. Villegas said that Ford did not cash it.
There was also testimony during the defense case that the mother had lied when she said she was beaten by mall guards in 1998. A paralegal testified that the mother told her the bruises, which led to a civil settlement of about $65,000 for the mother and her children, were actually made by the accuser's biological father.
Donna Aggers, records supervisor for the West Covina Police Department, testified today about arrest records of the mother and father on the day of the incident, Aug. 27, 1998. Theresa Marquez, who supervises records for a medical treatment facility used by the mother, also testified.
The prosecution maintains that the records show that there wasn't enough time for the husband to have beaten the mother of the accuser.
Also testifying about the aftermath of the incident was the grandmother of the accuser.
George Erwin, of Dino's Moving and Storage in North Hollywood, then testified that the bill for cleaning out the Los Angeles apartment of the accuser's family was paid by Bradley Miller, a private detective working on behalf of Jackson. The closing of that apartment is one of the 28 overt acts that the prosecution alleges formed the conspiracy to control the family.
William Dickerman, who represented the accuser's family before Feldman, testified about contacts with Mark Geragos, Jackson's former lawyer.
Dickerman said he was trying to recover passports and travel documents. When he testified, Geragos said he did not know the documents were an issue at that time.
Times correspondent Connell reported from Santa Maria; Times staff writer Muskal handled rewrite from Los Angeles.