Brooke Shields Breaks Her Silence On Emotional Michael Jackson Memorial Speech

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Shannon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:53 pm

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --
Brooke Shields has broken her silence, speaking out for the first time about the emotional speech she gave during Michael Jackson’s public memorial in July.

Brooke opened up exclusively to Access Hollywood’s Billy Bush as she hosted the launch of LG’s Lotus Elite mobile phone at Las Vegas’ Palms Place Hotel and Spa.

“Did you see me shaking?” Brooke asked Billy, referring to her time on stage, which all the world witnessed over the summer at Michael’s memorial.

“That was a really riveting moment,” Billy said.

“Well, they didn’t tell us that the coffin was going to be there,” she said. “I thought – because there was a fantasy moment in my head – that he was going to jump out and start the concert.”

But fantasy quickly turned into sad reality for Brooke during her emotional seven-minute speech about her special friendship with Michael.

“They had written me something,” Brooke said. " I didn’t… I wrote my own thing and just had to do my own thing. But it was… I felt honored to be a part of it.”

Brooke explained it was someone very close to Michael’s heart who asked her to be a part of his memorial.

“His mom [asked],” Brooke told Billy.

But Brooke confirmed she and Michael hadn’t been in touch in a while.

“I had not only not spoken to him, I hadn’t seen him in years,” she said.

“There must have been many times where you wanted to pick up the phone and call him and say, ‘Can I help you? As a friend, can I come see you? Do you need someone to talk to?’” Billy asked.

“I did that, you know, 20 years ago,” Brooke said. “I mean… the rhetoric didn’t change, you know, I did that way back when, but anyway, I did my best.”

“You did a beautiful job,” Billy said of Brooke’s memorial speech.

“I hope I did a good job,” she said. “I tried.”

http://www.accesshollywood.com/brooke-s ... icle_27586
[align=center]Image

Thank you, Leah

Thank you for everything,

Michael

...My Fanfiction...

You Are My Life

...My Website dedicated to Michael...

http://www.thesilencedtruth.com[/align]

LittleSusie50

Post by LittleSusie50 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 pm

:glare: Yeah right Brooke...

When I'm good I'm bad, and when I'm bad, I'm better...

Cristine87

Post by Cristine87 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm

[QUOTE=Shannon;232253]
“I had not only not spoken to him, I hadn’t seen him in years,” she said.

“There must have been many times where you wanted to pick up the phone and call him and say, ‘Can I help you? As a friend, can I come see you? Do you need someone to talk to?’” Billy asked.

“I did that, you know, 20 years ago,” Brooke said. “I mean… the rhetoric didn’t change, you know, I did that way back when, but anyway, I did my best.”[/QUOTE]

Way back when? 20 years ago? Why not recently, Brooke? You did your best? Really? Typical! Just typical! "I loved Michael! I tried to help him! I did my best! I just couldn't" Same bullsh*t, different person!

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 am

20 years ago. Wow. When my friends and I lose touch after a few months I start some sort of contact again with them.

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 am

Michael didn't die 20 years ago Brooke, he died now. Where is the help in that?
the member formerly known as MJslave...

annelise

Post by annelise » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 am

why people assume that Michael was this unhappy person who needed help everyday of his life? sure he had bad days and bad moments but don't we all?

Michael was stronger and more peaceful than any of those fools

MJfan01'

Post by MJfan01' » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 am

20 years, wow.

privacy

Post by privacy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:32 am

Jesus Christ, back off! WTH is wrong with you people? Regardless on when they grew apart, they were friends at one time, isn't she allowed to reminisce, be upset, miss him? 20yrs ago she was there for him and NONE of us know how much she may or may not have helped him. So she hasn't been there for a while, I'm sorry but sometimes it's hard to stay in touch.

FS.
[align=center]Image

I knew I'd love you like I do[/align]

Cristine87

Post by Cristine87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:55 pm

[QUOTE=annelise;232309]why people assume that Michael was this unhappy person who needed help everyday of his life? sure he had bad days and bad moments but don't we all?

Michael was stronger and more peaceful than any of those fools[/QUOTE]

Seriously! I understand Michael may have had a problem with meds and problems period, but they act like they found him in a crack house somwhere with a needle in his arm when he died. I too am getting irritated with all this "Michael needed serious help" crap, cause they're not really talking about the meds. They're talking about his "weirdness". They thought he was a nut case, that's where all this "he needed help" crap is coming from. Michael died because of a negligent doctor. If he had done his job right, Mike would still be with us. The man I saw in TII, was happy, sexy, energetic and full of life! He was very much running the show and in charge of things. He didn't look high, depressed or sick!

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:45 pm

[QUOTE=privacy;232318]So she hasn't been there for a while, I'm sorry but sometimes it's hard to stay in touch.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it's not. Michael had too many people lose touch with him. It's not fair.

What the hell did he do to deserve all his so called friends to just drop him like a dime? Maybe if they had stayed there longer than they did he could have had more people to turn to. Not resort to total isolation from the world because no one understands him.

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

Cristine87

Post by Cristine87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 pm

[QUOTE=Saphster;232322]Sometimes it's not. Michael had too many people lose touch with him. It's not fair.

What the hell did he do to deserve all his so called friends to just drop him like a dime? Maybe if they had stayed there longer than they did he could have had more people to turn to. Not resort to total isolation from the world because no one understands him.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Brooke had no problem being seen with him at all these high-profile award shows for several years during the height of his fame, going out on dates, etc. and then when the accusations got out, she was nowhere to be found! He freakin proposed marriage to this woman and she turned him down, calling him a friend but holding hands with him and canoodling with him publicly. I'm sick of tired of it. It's the same story with everybody. "I was friends with Michael and we lost touch and I tried to be there for him but couldn't". Bullsh*t! These people steered clear of Michael because they wanted to protect their own public images and he was experiencing a media backlash. So instead of defending him and saying "I know Michael personally and he would never do the things that he's accused of and no, he isn't weird.", they just scattered like a bunch of cowards. So, don't give me that bullsh*t that you tried and did your best just to save face.

Pirate.

Post by Pirate. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:31 pm

[QUOTE=Cristine87;232319]Seriously! I understand Michael may have had a problem with meds and problems period, but they act like they found him in a crack house somwhere with a needle in his arm when he died. I too am getting irritated with all this "Michael needed serious help" crap, cause they're not really talking about the meds. They're talking about his "weirdness". They thought he was a nut case, that's where all this "he needed help" crap is coming from. Michael died because of a negligent doctor. If he had done his job right, Mike would still be with us. The man I saw in TII, was happy, sexy, energetic and full of life! He was very much running the show and in charge of things. He didn't look high, depressed or sick![/QUOTE]

THANK YOU <3. EVERYTHING about that post was 1000000000000% correct ;)

Adults grow apart. Sorry. That happens. I know BEST friends of my parents that haven't had contact in 20+ years. It's not that abnormal. Michael and Brooke had stuff to do, careers to nourish, etc etc etc. They just went on different paths.

Brooke is one of few people who hasn't totally f*cked Michael in the ass over the last few months, INCLUDING HIS OWN DAMN FAMILY. I'm just as pissed as anyone that people sort of backed off Michael but he wasn't a weak little simpleton; if HE *REALLY* wanted to regain contact he would have done so.

I think it's time for the fan community to quit popping veins over every little thing now. :ohnoyoudidnt

DAMN.

Palmyra

Post by Palmyra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm

privacy wrote:I'm sorry but sometimes it's hard to stay in touch.
I agree with privacy here. I don't know what Michael was like away from the cameras, but I have a tendency to blame him for all these lost contacts. Michael had WAY TOO many friends, and I blame him for this. He was traveling all over the world, and naturally, you lose contact with people. You can't possibly maintain contact with hundreds of people over so many years. At times, he didn't even see his own family for extended periods of time, because of all the traveling.

I don't blame Shields. I blame Michael (this is what I typically do). Limit the number of friends you have, and it's much easier to manage all of your friendships and you can filter out most of the fake friends. Michael's large network made it perfect for fake friends to enter the network. No wonder people like the Rabbi, the magician (the Israeli guy), Bob Jones, etc. existed in his network of friends.

If I could give Michael advice, I would tell him to stop traveling so much, stop touring, and limit his contact with people and maintain a core group of friends. Yes, I would encourage him to become like J.D. Salinger (who is extremely reclusive).
I understand Michael may have had a problem with meds and problems period, but they act like they found him in a crack house somwhere with a needle in his arm when he died. I too am getting irritated with all this "Michael needed serious help" crap, cause they're not really talking about the meds. They're talking about his "weirdness". They thought he was a nut case, that's where all this "he needed help" crap is coming from.
Very well put. Michael didn't need "help." He needed quality relationships with people and, possibly, a mental health expert (click here to see my other thread about this issue).

Pirate.

Post by Pirate. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:03 pm

[QUOTE=Palmyra;232333]I agree with privacy here. I don't know what Michael was like away from the cameras, but I have a tendency to blame him for all these lost contacts. Michael had WAY TOO many friends, and I blame him for this. He was traveling all over the world, and naturally, you lose contact with people. You can't possibly maintain contact with hundreds of people over so many years. At times, he didn't even see his own family for extended periods of time, because of all the traveling.

I don't blame Shields. I blame Michael (this is what I typically do). Limit the number of friends you have, and it's much easier to manage all of your friendships and you can filter out most of the fake friends. Michael's large network made it perfect for fake friends to enter the network. No wonder people like the Rabbi, the magician (the Israeli guy), Bob Jones, etc. existed in his network of friends.

If I could give Michael advice, I would tell him to stop traveling so much, stop touring, and limit his contact with people and maintain a core group of friends. Yes, I would encourage him to become like J.D. Salinger (who is extremely reclusive).

Very well put. Michael didn't need "help." He needed quality relationships with people and, possibly, a mental health expert (click here to see my other thread about this issue).[/QUOTE]

Eesh, I dunno if I would have gone that far. Traveling was a great passion of his; he spoke of his great need and want to do so often and I wouldn't have wanted to take that away from him. True, he lost contact with some people, but not everybody, and I believe the people he WAS still in contact with, WERE quality relationships (for the most part. Liz Taylor anyone?).

I agree with you, however, about that he had such a big network and it probably wasn't condusive to his having a great many healthy relationships...he was far too trusting of people, I think, even after he's been hurt so much (which just goes to show his amazing character).

But he was pretty reclusive as it was. ....Aaaah I dunno. It's a complicated matter.

DAMN.

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Why would he need a mental health expert? Michael seemed like the only sane one in his family to me. I'm tired of people thinking how he needed 'help' through his rough times. What he needed were actual real friends, besides Liz. NOT mental help. Just because Michael was unique doesn't mean he was sick. Maybe Michael had so many $hitty people around him because those were the bastards that decided to stick around and hurt him. Everyone could see that but Michael himself. But, what was he to do? Not trust anyone for the rest of his life? I'm not going to defend anyone. And I will never blame Michael. No one, not even us, knows the extent of the bull$hit he had to put up with. Michael doesn't deserve blame. Not now not ever. He's not here to defend himself. How could someone like ME ever blame him for anything? I think we all forget how much he really suffered in his lifetime.