MJ\'s bodyguards to be on Good Morning America

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Teva

Post by Teva » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:43 pm

[QUOTE=craze4mj;236848]when did mj own 100% of the catalog[/QUOTE]

When he bought it I think in 1985.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htpIVyUtec
I will remember you.

shelly

Post by shelly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 am

[QUOTE=Teva;236838]I celebrate the fact that Michael Jackson despite, and inspite of his many problems, and media assasination still could plan and put together a comeback.[/QUOTE]

I think he was much stronger than what the media said. Look at what he went through: the molestation allegations, the vitiligo and the public humiliation because of the 2 things.

Sydney

Post by Sydney » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 am

[QUOTE=Jeniffer30;236849]Michael bought the ATV catalog in 1985 for 47.5 million dollars. At that time he owned 100% of the ATV catalog. In 1995 Michael merged the ATV catalog with Sony's catalog becoming the Sony/ATV catalog. Michael borrowed 270 million dollars from Sony using his stake in the catalog as collateral. There were rumors that he had sold part of the catalog off, but as far as I know no one really knows for sure. Michael did not sell any of it to Sony he borrowed against it. If Michael had been unable to pay off that loan from Sony he would have had to relinquish 50% of his stake in the catalog. That never happened as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

It is true Michael only kinda owned 25% in the end. Plus the mechanical rights to his songs are still owned by Sony. Yes Michael merged ATV with Sony making him a 50% shareholder. After the 2005 (I think) he sold half of his 50% leaving him with only 25%.

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:19 am

[QUOTE=Sydney;236896]It is true Michael only kinda owned 25% in the end. Plus the mechanical rights to his songs are still owned by Sony. Yes Michael merged ATV with Sony making him a 50% shareholder. After the 2005 (I think) he sold half of his 50% leaving him with only 25%.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what Michael deal with Sony were as far as his alleged loan/debt of $270. But Michael still owned 50% of Sony/ATV when he was alive, as far as I'm aware. There was never any deal to give Sony 25% of Michael's 50% stake in the company. Michael never defaulted the alleged loan is is supposed to have been given by Sony. The deal was if Michael did default is alleged loan, then Sony would get 25% of Michael's share, but that never happened.

The reports of Michael losing 25% was just reported in the media, but never confirmed by Michael Jackson of Sony Music. Even before 2005 (as early as 2002), the media said Michael no longer owned The Beatles songs when still did.
Ben

(Don\\\'t Stop Till You Get Enough)

Sydney

Post by Sydney » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am

If you say so ....

annelise

Post by annelise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm

[QUOTE=Jeniffer30;236847]Michael DIED from using propfol to sleep. That seems like destroyed to me. I'm not saying that Michael was NEVER happy, but I think that the sadness and loneliness outweighed that. A person can only take so much and deal with so much crap before it starts to take a toll. Michael went through way more then his fair share of hell. I do see beauty and happiness and wonderful messages in his songs. I love him for trying so hard to be happy and overcome all the crap that was thrown at him. If you can't see that he was sad and lonely and that his life was tragic then I would have to conclude that it's just something that you refuse to see.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that he was never sad or lonely but to call his life tragic and only sad (cause that is what you said in your first post) is silly.
He couldn't sleep because Michael was a night person, and was creating during the night, are you aware of how passionate people are? they forgot the notion of time, can't stop creating in their minds...his insomnia was terrible for him but he wasn't up at night because he was on a depression, drugged, sad and lonely and so miserable. If that is how you wanna see Michael good for you.

annelise

Post by annelise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 pm

[QUOTE=shelly;236892]I think he was much stronger than what the media said. Look at what he went through: the molestation allegations, the vitiligo and the public humiliation because of the 2 things.[/QUOTE]

definitely and he was also much stronger that some fans give him credit for

OneMoreChance
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by OneMoreChance » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm

[QUOTE=annelise;236901]I didn't say that he was never sad or lonely but to call his life tragic and only sad (cause that is what you said in your first post) is silly.
He couldn't sleep because Michael was a night person, and was creating during the night, are you aware of how passionate people are? they forgot the notion of time, can't stop creating in their minds...his insomnia was terrible for him but he wasn't up at night because he was on a depression, drugged, sad and lonely and so miserable. If that is how you wanna see Michael good for you.[/QUOTE]

This is my last post on this subject, then I'm dropping it. First off...that's not what I said. I never said that Michael's life was only sad and lonely. There were things in his life that brought him great joy. His children, his humanitarian work, performing and I'm sure that there are loads of others. Yes, I am aware of how passionate people are. How do you know that Michael's insomnia wasn't a result of his depression and he created at night because he was already awake so he might as well put the time to good use.

If you refuse to see the tragedy of Michael's life and what was done to him, then I have to say good for you.
[align=center]Image[/align]

[[align=center]Michael Jackson Overload[/align]

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:38 am

[QUOTE=Sydney;236900]If you say so ....[/QUOTE]

Well not if I say so, facts speak for themselves and the media don't state accurate facts.

Media speculation about Michael's finances ie debts are not exactly accurate and often exaggerated. There was any official confirmation from Michael Jackson or Sony Music to state he defaulted in an "alleged" load and had to give Sony Music 25% of his Sony/ATV share. That is a story the media would like to have happened, as opposed to it did happen. The fact Michael's estate was solvent when he died, say's a lot that Michael wasn't broke. And the fact that Michael is supposed to have had lots of creditors, and that no one has come to cease his assets shows, how much of a media fabrication Michael being broke was.

The media also said that Sony would get full control of Sony/ATV after Michael died to pay off his alleged $270 million loan, because John Branca would have to sell it to clear Michael's alleged debts, and people believed that. Yet once again it never happened, and Michael Jackson still owns 50% of Sony/ATV which is something he said he would never part with.

Another thing that is often over looked, is that the media write about The Beatles songs like it was Michael's only income and asset. It is a fact, he owned the masters (and publishing rights)to his own albums and music from 1979-present, which very few major artists do (neither Prince or Madonna own their masters). And Michael also owned 100% of his own MiJac Music publishing company (administered by Warner Bros) which owns his own songs, and that of Sly & The Family Stone and others artists. So Michael's business and money wasn't just tied with Sony.

According to Howard Waitzman (who was one of Mj's criminal lawyers in 1993-94) who represents John Branca and John McClain, in an interview he gave to Larry King on CNN not long after Michael's death. He said that Michael did have debts, but they weren't as big as the media said they were, and would be payed of very quickly, and that Michael's estate would earn a lot of money very quickly, which is already happening.

[QUOTE=annelise;236902]definitely and he was also much stronger that some fans give him credit for[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. Michael was a very strong man, and I don't believe he died a broken and sad man. He died because Dr Murray was milking Michael's money and giving him things like propofol when he shouldn't have, without the right medical equipment etc. We all know the media hurt Michael badly, but anyone who followed Michael knows he would never let them kick him down and that he would fight them, and not give them what they want.
Ben

(Don\\\'t Stop Till You Get Enough)

Sydney

Post by Sydney » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 am

Where did you read that Michael's estate was solvent when he died? The estate became solvent after he died and money started pouring in from all things Michael. There is an interview on Youtube where Frank Delio talks about MJ not having enough money to purchase the cameras to tape the behind the scenes footage for TII http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cNeJjA6LlM. Also the bodyguards said more money was going out than was coming in. I do not believe he was bankrupt, but he was definetly in dept.

Sony or Branca are not going to say that Michael had to sell his half of the shares in the catalogue. That is something they are not going to make public because it would upset the fans and undermine their interest. Another poster talks about a book by Lyton Guest which I have read that goes into it. It is insider knowledge that MJ owned only 25%. If Branca makes a public statement that says otherwise then I will shift my position, but I bet he doesn't.

With regards to the MiJac catalogue Sony owns the masters. They were to be reverted to MJ in 2000, but that did not happen, and he had to wait several more years before they could become his. That was one of the reason's he parted company with Sony. The MiJac catalogue makes lots of money now, but before MJ died I don't know how much it was making from royalties. Michael Jackson was a pariah in the US and alot of radio stations refuse to play his music, and I don't recall hearing any of his music in movie soundtracks either, but it appears all that was change after he died.

OneMoreChance
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by OneMoreChance » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 am

[QUOTE=Sydney;236964]Where did you read that Michael's estate was solvent when he died? The estate became solvent after he died and money started pouring in from all things Michael. There is an interview on Youtube where Frank Delio talks about MJ not having enough money to purchase the cameras to tape the behind the scenes footage for TII http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cNeJjA6LlM. Also the bodyguards said more money was going out than was coming in. I do not believe he was bankrupt, but he was definetly in dept.

Sony or Branca are not going to say that Michael had to sell his half of the shares in the catalogue. That is something they are not going to make public because it would upset the fans and undermine their interest. Another poster talks about a book by Lyton Guest which I have read that goes into it. It is insider knowledge that MJ owned only 25%. If Branca makes a public statement that says otherwise then I will shift my position, but I bet he doesn't.

With regards to the MiJac catalogue Sony owns the masters. They were to be reverted to MJ in 2000, but that did not happen, and he had to wait several more years before they could become his. That was one of the reason's he parted company with Sony. The MiJac catalogue makes lots of money now, but before MJ died I don't know how much it was making from royalties. Michael Jackson was a pariah in the US and alot of radio stations refuse to play his music, and I don't recall hearing any of his music in movie soundtracks either, but it appears all that was change after he died.[/QUOTE]

What insider knowledge? The facts are that Michael did not default on his loan to Sony (although Sony tried to make sure that he would) therefore he still owned his 50% stake in the catalog. These are the facts that we have. Insider knowledge means nothing. Where's the proof? How many people have claimed to have "insider knowledge" of Michael molesting little boys? We know that never happened! Just because someone says it doesn't make it true. If you have proof please let us know.

It is true that Sony owns the rights only to music that he created while with Sony. Those were to revert to Michael sometime this year. I don't believe that Sony has any rights to MiJac. But with Branca in the mix I'm sure that will change.

Sydney

Post by Sydney » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 pm

@Jennifer30
"What insider knowledge? The facts are that Michael did not default on his loan to Sony (although Sony tried to make sure that he would) therefore he still owned his 50% stake in the catalog. These are the facts that we have. Insider knowledge means nothing. Where's the proof? How many people have claimed to have "insider knowledge" of Michael molesting little boys? We know that never happened! Just because someone says it doesn't make it true. If you have proof please let us know."

The name of the insider is Paul Russell who was chairman of the Sony/ATV catalogue. Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony/ATV_Music_Publishing chronicles its history; However, it does not give the whole story. MJ used his 50% as collateral against a loan he took out from Bank of American for 270 million. He later defaulted on that loan, and the bank off loaded his debt to Fortress Investment Group. Note the bibliography uses Lynton Guest’s book. Negotiations were done and Michael only owned 25% (sort of) in the end. The best insight on this subject is by the author I mentioned. The book is boring at times if you can get through it, it is fascinating.

OneMoreChance
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by OneMoreChance » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm

There are so many stories about Michael and his finances that I doubt we will over know the truth. I don't actually think that Michael was in as much financial trouble as he was made to believe. Something stinks at Sony!

Sydney

Post by Sydney » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 pm

It was always the intention of Sony to have 100% ownership of the catalog.

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:31 pm

http://bossip.com/226521/michael-jackso ... -chickens/

WTF the bodyguards are saying he liked 'butt darts' (anal sex)? Come on do we have to know that?

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon