How Did You Find Out MJ Died?

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Teva

Post by Teva » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 am

Michael Jackson’s one year death anniversary will be in 2 months, and I can hardly believe it.  I saw a thread over on www.MichaelJackson.com talking about how persons found out, and how it affected them.   Full disclosure (heave sigh) I was not always a true fan; I was never a hater more ……. luke warm.   That does not mean I didn’t luv his music, but I was not a MJ blogger.   I never found out until 9:00pm when I turn on my television doing some channel surfing.  Wolf Blitzer was reporting on the death of pop star Michael Jackson.  I think I was dazed for a while, and I stayed up until 1:00am watching the news the whole thing seemed unreal, but that was just the beginning.

26 June 2009 was the really bad day, because it felt like something was wrong.  To this day I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something felt off.  Now I would understand my feelings if I were like most of you guys, super fans, but I was just an ordinary admirer of his talents, so I am not quite sure why I hit rock bottom.  Anyway I read all I could get my hands on about MJ (clearly I had a lot of catching up to do) the good, bad and indifferent, I even bought DVDs.   Most weekends I went to bed at 4:00 or 5:00am researching Michael Jackson on the web that’s how I found this site.  I re-familiarized myself with his songs, Bad and Dangerous albums are my favourites, watched all his interviews, etc.  I did not shed a tear, but after 2 weeks I started crying, I found it weird at first then I realized they were others just like me.  I think because I read so many books and articles I felt badly because of the way he was treated, like a leper.  I am glad I took the time to research MJ, and appreciate his contributions.  I think he was HOTT!
I will remember you.

2bad4ever2009

Post by 2bad4ever2009 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:33 am

I was a full blown fan when I was a sophomore in high school. I had his Dangerous, Blood On The Dancefloor and Invincible albums. I rented Bad, History, and Off the Wall Cds from the library (They do have them believe or not in North Dakota State Library) and burned copies of them. (I know it's wrong, but I couldn't afford them) and I did reports and wrote short stories about him...

In 2005, when the allegation came up, it was a horrible thing to be a fan of MJs. I was called a 'Pedo-lover' and ridiculed for loving him and his music. His music became so scarce, and when I would call into the radio station to request a song, they said they didn't have his music. >.< So I fell away. I believed he was innocent, but when my friends would talk about the allegations and ask if I thought he was guilty, I would turn the question back on them and they shoved their opinions down my throat, so I wouldn't say anything to defend him. It wasn't until I was out of college and on my own with my fiance did I finally get back to what truly made me happy. Michael's music. As I listened to more of his music did I convert my fiance (who is my husband now) to becoming an MJ fan. He loved the Invincible album, and respected the Off the Wall album for having some R and B rhythms he liked.

Unfortunately my husband was in jail when he found out MJ had died, I got a whole 6 page letter on him reminscing times when I would listen to MJ's music and how it related to him and made him feel.
He says and I quote, "I feel like the world is more empty without Michael Jackson in it. Do you feel that way?"

My answer to this, "Yes, very much so."

I found out through a text message from a fair-weather friend of mine. I thought it was bogus at first, you know, as a way to get my goat cause they knew I loved Michael Jackson.

But when I went to my mother in laws to help out with some house work both Doug and Diane were in front of the TV watching the news and Diane looked at me and said, "Honey Michael Jackson's dead. I can't believe it." I dropped the diaper bag and set my daughter down and watched it as tears came to my eyes. I would've broke down if it wasn't for Diane comforting me. They were never fans, they didn't really know much about him except that he had a huge selling album that they didn't care for. But that day, they understood how felt. June 25th will be forever engraved in my mind and heart as the day that broke my dreams of meeting him. That was also the day that music died to me.

So yeah I guess that's the sum of my long story. There will never be another like Michael. EVER.
[align=center][img width=499 height=299]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz33 ... thMJ-2.jpg[/img][/align]

sunshine.larrazabal

Post by sunshine.larrazabal » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 am

Awww... guys... :( ((hugs to both of you))

MissSophia

Post by MissSophia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:19 am

I found out from a coworker.

I know exactly what I was doing, I was typing up notes for an upcoming meeting when one of my coworkers leans in to ask if I'd heard the news.

"What news?"

"Michael Jackson is dead.  He just passed away."

Stunned.  I looked at her to see if she was joking, but she's never the type to even joke about tragedy, much less death so I knew she serious. Slowly, I slide away from my desk, my fingers suddenly trembling. I'll never forget the feeling of not being able to type.   I didn't know whether to cry or throw up. I literally honest to God felt sick.

It was awful.  The only access I had was CNN's website, but it was extremely slow and our workplace has a strict policy on playing our radios above a certain volume, so all day I'm trying to grasp for information.  ANY information.  And all day, I was waiting for someone to come in and say it was a false alarm.  It was completely surreal and improbable that Michael was gone.  You think of him getting sick.   You  think of him disappearing for a hiatus.  But no longer living??  No.   Unfortunately, I work with too many indifferent men and woman who paused to injest the news, then promptly kept it moving as though nothing happened.  Of course there was a certain buzz in the air, but it was nothing therapeutic.  I had no one to talk to at length.  There were no shoulder to weep on, no one to reflect on Michael with. Looking back, it's hard to believe how I got through the day.

Where I work, I haven't found anyone to share that fandom with, so needless to say, that entire intense mourning period was the loneliest period for me ever.

Maiky

Post by Maiky » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 am

I found it out from a mobile sms...
I was just awaken and a friend of mine sent  to me the news :'(

MJfan01'

Post by MJfan01' » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:22 pm

i came home and my family was watching CNN...he was in a coma at that time..

Violet Flower

Post by Violet Flower » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I found out at work...my phone was going off the hook which was unusual, I checked my messages and that's when the day had stood still. I did'nt know about him being in a hospital or being rushed to one, that was all new to me pertaining towards the fact that I found out after he had passed away. I was on my break fortunately when I checked my messages and wondered if I could manage going back in cause I needed time to collect my thoughts and feelings. I held my emotions for a few days, then bam it hit me :'( I did'nt feel the same anymore and all the will to go on has been a less interest to me, I was and still is heartbroken that Michael Jackson is no longer with us on this earth, it still hurts and I don't think the pain will heal for a long time to come.

mijakamaj

Post by mijakamaj » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 am

Hi... :wave I'm new here...

I wanted to chime in on this one.

Michael is this century's "where were you when" event.

In my parents' era, it was "where were you when JFK was shot". I came along four years later, in '67, so that had no impact on me, and I could never fully understand the personal impact it had on them.

I keep a television in the lobby/waiting area of my offie, and the volume is always down so low it's just seen and not heard. CNN is always on.

I'd walked out to speak with my receptionist, and noticed she was looking at the television, so naturally, I looked up too. CNN's "Breaking News" banner was flashing, and the reports of him being taken to the hospital, something about cardiac arest, and being in a coma crawled across the bottom of the screen.

I remember my exact thoughts upon seeing the words 'cardiac arrest' and 'coma'. I thought, "He's too young."

My office manager came out of her office and joined us as she was hearing something on the radio. I don't remember exactly how much time passed, but we eventually went back to work.

Later, my receptionist called me in my office and said he had passed away. My thought processes initially didn't work, and I concluded the reports were media hype, misinformation, or what have you.

I saw three more clients that afternoon, and each one of them mentioned his death. I even insisted it was probably not true. I even asked one of them, "What are the chances of two stars dying in one day?" referring to Farrah, of course who'd passed earlier that morning. Now that I believed as it was known she'd been battling for her life for a while.

I was the last one to leave my office, and I rode home in silence.  I don't know why I didn't listen to the radio in my car or pop in a CD like I normally did.

When I walked through the door, our television was on low, and my daughter was on the sofa crying.  I would've never imagined that my 17 year old child would grieve over his passing like one would grieve over a friend, but there she was with tears flowing down her face.

I introduced my daughter to his music at an early age, and she was and is a big fan.  On the other hand, while I've always been a fan, I didn't concentrate too much on him  nor did I play his music a lot. I mean, come on, I'm a professional woman, 42 years old, and who has time for that sort of thing at my age.

Honestly, I didn't even cry, but I felt a profound sadness blanket me. I realized I'd lost my childhood "crush", the man who'd provided me with the soundtrack of my youth, etc. Then I began to think about him as a man, a father, and a human being.

As I scrambled to watch performances of him on youtube, I realized his true magnificence once again.  I became hooked again, just as I was when I was younger. It was late into the night by the time I got up from my computer.  I walked into the living room and watched Larry King and all the talking heads speaking about his passing. That's when I cried. My heart broke for him, his children, his family, and the world as I realized the impact his loss would have on the world.

Occasionally, I can listen to his music now, and I'll get tears in my eyes as I listen to the passion and love of which he shared with us. 

I personally believe music died that day. Real music anyway. There will never be another one like him. He was before his time, and he was always right on time.

Thanks for letting me share.

Marina

Post by Marina » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm

[quote name="MissSophia"]
I found out from a coworker.
[/quote]
That's how I found out too.

OneMoreChance
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by OneMoreChance » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 pm

My mom told me that Michael had been rushed to the hospital. I tried to stay in and watch the news. I was hoping and praying that he would be ok. My daughter wanted to go swimming. My dad was in our garage doing some work and he heard it on the radio. He came and tole me while we were swimming. It was a horrible day! :'(
[align=center]Image[/align]

[[align=center]Michael Jackson Overload[/align]

oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I was on my way to do work experience at an animal shelter with 2 other people in my class when it came on the radio. The volume was down really low so I thought to myself 'they did NOT just say what I think they just said', but alas, it was true. At that point it hadn't been confirmed so I was hoping by the thread of all the other stories made up about him that it wasn't true. To be honest the first thing that came to my head was that someone had killed him, I was always paranoid that a hater would try and shoot him or something. Then when they said it was a heart attack I thought it was because he had lived such a stressful life that it took it's toll.
To this day I have no idea how I managed to keep myself composed, I thought as soon as we get to the shelter I won't have to hear about it for the day- until I realised that they have the radio going all the time for the animals.
As soon as I got home I burst into tears, I ended up going to my mammas and staying there for a week, I cried so much that night that I couldn't even move, I couldn't walk from the amount of pain I was in, I couldn't see, I just fell asleep on the floor.
I'm amazed I've been able to move on the way I have, I thought the world was ending. As horrible as it sounds I don't know if I'd cry for half my relatives the way I cried for Michael. I am able to listen to his music again, watch his videos, of course it's always in my mind. And there are some songs that have been ruined because they were used so many times on tributes. YANA anyone?
the member formerly known as MJslave...

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

I was driving home from my boyfriend's graduation at night. My mother was with me and she got a call on her cellphone. I was looking straight ahead driving calmly. I was very proud that my bf was getting his degrees. It was her sister who was/is a huge MJ hater and told her the news. My mom repeated out loud in a shocked tone, "MICHAEL Jackson died?!" I remember swirving off the road a bit and my neck was almost gonna break at how I looked at her and said, "WHAT?!" I panicked. I kept saying out loud, "That can't be true! That can't be true!!" I immediately turned on the radio and heard a Michael song playing....which is rare. Then I heard another...then another....and another...then another.....I felt sick. I felt angry. I felt....so many things. Then I heard people calling on the radio saying how shocked and upset they were.

I hadn't watched TV or even listened to the radio that entire day. I was busy getting ready for the graduation and doing chores all morning and didn't leave my house. I remember seeing a strange black crow fly over my head very slowly and stopped right infront of my house. It was so strange. I remember shooing him away with the water hose and I blinked for a moment and he was no where in sight.

It was very hard to drive home that night. Don't even get me started on how hard it was to sleep.

Just remembering everything is making me feel ..like June 25 all over again

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

Teva

Post by Teva » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 pm

At one point everything became too much for me, and I could not watch television.  I turned my television off for 4 weeks.  All the news was so disheartening and all the media outlets were racing to get to the bottom.  I felt  nauseous, I had not fully understood yet the role the media played in MJ's life/demise.  My laptop was my only source of comfort because I could in someway control things.  This may sound strange, but I remember telling a work colleague I did not know Michael Jackson could die, and she said to me she didn't know either.  I guess what I am trying to say is, I always thought he would be around.
I will remember you.

sunshine.larrazabal

Post by sunshine.larrazabal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 am

Oh, guys, all your comments are making me cry again... I think I'd be crying the whole year again.. :'( Since I was working evening shift at the time of his passing, I remembered walking at the huge hospital parking lot.. I was walking alone and crying and when I had to cross the street, I had to wipe my tears as vehicles passed with their lights on and didn't want to be spotted crying and then when I reached the other end of the street, I started crying again until I got home and just burst into tears face down in bed, didn't care if I have waken up my roommate and the renters above ours! The entire shift I was working that night since the time I heard the news, I was so so so sad.. But I still did manage to smile but was hurting... I can't forget people flooded my phones (since I brought my other phone that time) with texts and calls and couldn't even answer it! :( It was an awful time----- I hate it! But surely one of the moments I will never, ever forget.. :( I still can't believe it....