I love this article!

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cristine87

I love this article!

Post by Cristine87 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:06 pm

Free Speech or Free Exploitation

Vincent Sherry

It is patently unfair that The Hilltop cloaks its support for Eminem's "expression" in Michael Jackson's status as a public figure, ignoring Eminem's same status. Presumably, if one public figure can criticize another, the latter can rightly recriminate. How can this label conveniently work so unilaterally?

Also worth noting is that Jackson is not yet a "public" criminal. Exactly what is Eminem trying to express, defamation? I am a strong artistic expression advocate, but do not quite subscribe to the apparent notion that suggesting unproven criminality on film, as well as using evidentiary imagery from a pending case, merits a valid form.

Moreover, given Eminem's whining about protests against his homophobia and odes to domestic violence, isn't berating Jackson the pot calling the kettle black? (No pun intended.)

The hypocrisy therein displayed casts doubt on all Eminem's hard-core gangster beefs with thugs like Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Will Smith, Moby, Justin Timberlake, N' Sync, Christina Aguilera and those fearsome Backstreet Boys (I suppose it would be unwise to suspect that Suge Knight be next).

If Eminem is so resistant to his own criticism, yet so willing to unleash it on others, perhaps artistic expression is not his motive. Perhaps it's just a massive, desperate gimmick to rivet public attention and sell records, much like a series of cartoonish songs and attendant videos that suit playing dress-up and donning drag without fail. Maybe not.

So, before we all force Jackson to subordinate himself to our sadistic desires that he be the public whipping boy, even for other public figures we apparently favor, let us examine the situation for what it is. Eminem is not some profound artist making a social commentary, unlike Prince. Rather, he exploits easy targets for pure entertainment value, even if it means interjecting his views on someone else's pending litigation. It's about as artistic as Nelly's video "Tip Drill."

Jackson's status as a public figure is hardly a carte blanche for defamatory attacks, especially not from other influential public figures that chronically whine about criticism from the public itself. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Jackson has every right to defend himself and his reputation.

Likewise, BET has every right to separate itself from a potentially meritorious lawsuit, a higher interest, even if at the expense of Mozart's brainchild-or Eminem's video, that is.

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/news/20 ... 7616.shtml

Angel

I love this article!

Post by Angel » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:09 pm

Really interesting article. Thx for posting it. :-)

privacy

I love this article!

Post by privacy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:27 pm

Wow.. lovin that! Thanks for sharin :)
[align=center]Image

I knew I'd love you like I do[/align]

Cristine87

I love this article!

Post by Cristine87 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:17 pm

I'm glad that someone finally realizes that Michael being on trial is not supposed to amuse people!

mj_fan_for_life31

I love this article!

Post by mj_fan_for_life31 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:44 pm

I love the article!!!!

K.M.A.
Prince Charming :wink

mjj_jdj

I love this article!

Post by mjj_jdj » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:16 am

2morrow I will Upload performances from BAD World Tour Osaka 1987 (Black & White Version) in the thread +Download+ BAD World Tour Osaka 1987 (Video) :buttkiss:
:star:King Of Downloads:star:

I\\\\\\\'m not perfect, Yes I do wrong

I\\\\\\\'m trying my best, But it ain\\\\\\\'t good enough

Shun by the world, If I don\\\\\\\'t succeed

Though I ain\\\\\\\'t good enough, He still loves me

No I ain\\\\\\\'t good enough, But he still loves me

Eventhough I ain\\\\\\\'t worthy, You ain\\\\\\\'t worthy, He\\\\\\\'s there for you

No matter what I do/ I ain\\\\\\\'t good enough

But the Lord still loves me.

Visit/Join MJHQ Forum. Click picture to go to site.

HoldMeThrillMe

I love this article!

Post by HoldMeThrillMe » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:20 am

Holy smokedaloons, that article is bloody good!

Caroline
Trial Period
Trial Period

I love this article!

Post by Caroline » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:29 am

Well said.
[align=center]Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact.

-George Eliot[/align]