\"We\'ve Had Enough\" Song Review

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

dangerous

Post by dangerous » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:39 am

Epic 2004

Much has been made of Michael Jackson’s private life: accusations (God-awful accusations), allegations, charges brought to bear. I leave that to the lawyers, judge and jury. I want to talk about the music.

Does anyone remember the first time they saw The Jackson Five (from Gary, Indiana!)? For me it was Sullivan in 1969. This guy is 4 months younger than I. Makes me realize how little I’ve really accomplished. Michael was 11 years old and fronting the group on the Sullivan show. The kid was a natural: good looking, charming and with a voice that blew you off your living room sofa. And the older he got, the better he got. That man can dance so bad, I used to love to watch him dance. I listen to a lot of oldies stations on the FM ‘dial.’ It’s not a dial anymore, is it? It’s a ‘band’ now I guess; a digital readout. Anyway, there’s always a Jackson tune somewhere and up goes the volume on my car’s stereo system.

“I Want You Back,” “ABC,” I’ll Be There;” let’s just quote soul-music guru David Ritz here: “The singing and the songs make us happy. They are moments of incandescent beauty–young, wildly optimistic.” I can’t say it better.

Michael, as he matured, gave us “Ben,” “Enjoy Yourself,” “Rock With You,” and the heartbreaking “She’s Out Of My Life.” This Sony presentation of “She’s Out Of My Life” was produced by Quincy Jones by the way, and is from “Off The Wall–Special Edition” (Epic). Brilliant.

“Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection” is just that, ultimate. It’s all here. There are 4 CDs in one big-ass box arriving in a store near you on November 16 of 2004. The discs start with “I Want You Back” and go all the way up to “The Way You Love Me.” The final cut on disc 4 is a soulful “We’ve Had Enough” that is not to be missed. It is also not to be confused with the song by Alkaline Trio or the Dudley Boyz. This is Jackson in his prime. He’s 46 years old now. I know because I know how old I am.

The current rumor is that this song is Michael’s and Janet’s lament regarding the child molestation charges and the breast flop–um, pop–from the Super Bowl. Now I’ve listened to this little devil several times this evening. The song that is, not the whole damned box! The box I have listened to once. “We’ve Had Enough” has smart lyrics and tight production and is a heart-breaking story-song about a little girl who wants to know why her daddy had to die when he didn’t even have a gun: “One more violent crime.” It’s also about a little boy who wants to know why his mommy had to die and his daddy is trying to figure out how the hell to explain this mess to his child.

“In the middle of the village in a distant land…too young to understand…his father grabs his hand. Screaming, crying, his wife’s dying, now he’s left to explain. Innocently questioning why… why his mother had to die? What did these soldiers come here for? ... Did God say that they could decide who would live and who would die? What that mother ever did, except to take care of her kid?”
Um, folks? I think you missed your idol’s point. This here is an anti-war song. Mr. Jackson has a little something to say about Iraq methinks, and he says it powerfully. Get your heads out of your asses and listen to your man. Not only is he questioning our presence in Iraq, he’s questioning what goes on here at home as well. Remember that this gent began his recording career when the Vietnam War was in full swing. He wasn’t too young to know what was going on then and he’s not too old to be unaware of what goes on today.

This release from Sony Epic is more than a compilation and retrospective on the extraordinarily talented Michael Jackson. It’s an anthem for the 21st Century as well as the ages. With the inclusion of “We’ve Had Enough,” Jackson points out what’s important in life and the fact that for as far as we’ve come, we’ve nonetheless managed to warp ourselves back to the witch hunts of the 50s and 60s. It’s not as bad as Vietnam yet folks, but it’s pretty damned close. Open your eyes. The lyrics to Jackson’s “We’ve Had Enough” evoke Hunter Thompson’s challenge to “look at the world with a special pair of eyes.” We, all of us, have them. Can’t we please use them this time, before it’s too late?

“Did God say that you could decide?”

Thanks Sony. I only wish the release date was before Election Day 2004.

–Jessie Lilley

:nav http://www.worldlyremains.com/Michael%20Jackson.htm

:D
[align=center]Image[/align]

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:19 pm

thanks for that review. I think 'we've had enough' seems to have a very powerful message to it. I can't wait til the boxed set comes out!

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

QuietSoul

Post by QuietSoul » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:43 pm

Thank you for posting this.

Don't laugh at me, but that review of 'We've had enough' has made me cry.
“In the middle of the village in a distant land…too young to understand…his father grabs his hand. Screaming, crying, his wife’s dying, now he’s left to explain. Innocently questioning why… why his mother had to die? What did these soldiers come here for? ... Did God say that they could decide who would live and who would die? What that mother ever did, except to take care of her kid?”
The lyrics have a profound meaning. I think they will touch many people.

Minnie Dia

Post by Minnie Dia » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:04 pm

Wow.... man im here thinking the song is about him having enough with the press and crap!! Wow.. Shit now im all the more excited about the damn set coming out!
:ohnoyoudidnt Image:ohnoyoudidnt

choccyclaire

Post by choccyclaire » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:10 pm

interesting review thanks for posting...ahhh i cant wait to hear the song properly

Keep_The_Faith1

Post by Keep_The_Faith1 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:36 pm

thanks for posting :D Sounds like another of mikes powerful songs :)

~Vicky~

Post by ~Vicky~ » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:32 pm

Thanks for posting! Go MJ!

I love when he sang 'did God say that you could decide'..that's for real. Killing people like that is a load of crap.

Off_the_wall

Post by Off_the_wall » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:40 pm

Very Interesting review!
I think this song is gonna show the world Michael jackson aint gone in terms of his music yet and that he can still get that powerfull message across! i cant w8 2 hear the song in its entirety
SARAH

2Dangerous4MJ

Post by 2Dangerous4MJ » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:33 pm

Originally posted by NevaehDreamz

I love when he sang 'did God say that you could decide'..that's for real. Killing people like that is a load of crap.
I completely agree with that. Can't wait to actually hear it.
JUSTICE has been served!

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:37 pm

Man, I miss lyrics like this so much!

Can't wait for this release. OMG.
[align=center]Image[/align]

floacist

Post by floacist » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:06 pm

I cant wait till its released, I love political,anti war Michael aaaah:)

minnie michael

Post by minnie michael » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:23 pm

that's so touchful..Mike always write songs about the world about poor deprived people about children..we've had enough is an anti-war song..i can see that through the lyric..through that 30 seconds sample i can hear MIke's voice sounded painful nearly sobbing..MIke can touch all of people's tender hearts..through his music through his talent.. :clapping :clapping

TO Michael,

i believe in you , i support you, i love you, please forever believe in me, Michael, i am your super-duper fan in a place far away from you, but distance canot stop me from supporting you, Michael..remember, when you look up the blue sky, you can see countless of your loyal fans\\\' smile faces, i am one of them..

forever..loyal to you..

yours fan..forever.. :thumbsu

mj_fan_for_life31

Post by mj_fan_for_life31 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:51 pm

Can't wait to hear it!!!

K.M.A.
Prince Charming :wink

-Michael's#1girlie-

Post by -Michael's#1girlie- » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:07 pm

can't wait till it comes out