Just Think About It: How Can You Label Albums That Flop? What\'s a flop?....Not MJ!

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tabloid Junkie

Just Think About It: How Can You Label Albums That Flop? What\'s a flop?....Not MJ!

Post by Tabloid Junkie » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:23 am

How Can You Label an Album That Flops?

Well, Michael Jackson has been in the business for well over 40 years now. He is use to knowing
if an album is successful and how to make better albums for the future. His career presented him
with surprises and events that he expected. He is as a matter of fact, a very great business man, and
knows how to deal with the music industry.

He never expected his second solo album "Thriller" to be the biggest selling album in history. It sold
over 60 million copies worldwide. Before that, he sold 21 million copies with his debut
"Off The Wall". Off The Wall was labeled a huge, very huge success. It became one of the most successful
debut albums in history as well.

After Thriller, Michael Jackson had to try to meet new standards, living up to Thriller.
Well in sales terms, he didn't. That was when the media and music critics started saying their
favorite word, "flop". Well, lets get this straight. In 1987, Michael releases the highly anticipated
"Bad". It becomes the only album in history to spawn 5 number one hits. It sells over 30 million copies,
and makes the biggest grossing tour in history. That wasn't enough? This was the peak of his fame to many.
It was labeled a flop! What? It sells over 10 million more copies than Off The Wall, the album
that was considered a great success. How? They couldn't explain!

So fast forward to 1991, when he releases "Dangerous". This was a very highly anticipated album.
It released 3 number one hits on the pop and r&b charts. It sells more than "Bad"! It sells 31 million.
This is where the critics were harsh:

"This is a flop...he will never match the success of Thriller". What? It starts off another
extremely successful tour and produces groundbreaking videos as well as the the highest watched
video in history.

Years later, he released the double cd set History Past PResent and Future Book 1. It produces 2 number one hits
and sells over 20 million copies.....nearly as much as his debut album, and its a flop? What?

1997, he releases the biggest selling remix album in history "Blood On The Dancefloor". Remix albums
historically never sell as much as new material, but this album sold over 8 million copies. A flop? According to some critics.

2001 is when they were so harsh, that anyone could hate critics. Invincible was released, and produces a number one hit, is triple platinum,
12 million world wide, and doesn't receive one piece of promotion from Sony!? Wow! Its a flop?

2003, he releases Number Ones and it sells 6 million copies and receives no promotion! Its a flop?

So what can we consider a flop? His sister releases a new album in 2004, "Damita Jo". It sells 2 million worldwide,
not even platinum, but is considered a success? It sells 3 times less than Number Ones, and Damita Jo is new material!

A flop is when an album flops. When it doesn't sell! 10, 20, 30 million copies sold is not a flop! Critics need to get this!
A flop is something is Cyndi Laupers "At Last". Heard of it? Didn't think so. Garth Brooks "Chris Gaines" album? Heard of it?
Probably because you know it barely sold.

Michael Jackson is the biggest selling artist in history! He doesn't flop. No matter how bad people want him to, he won't!
Just Think About It.

Tabloid Junkie

Post by Tabloid Junkie » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:23 am

If you wanna visit my website go to: www.mjacksononline.tripod.com

Tabloid Junkie

Post by Tabloid Junkie » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:35 am

number ones is certainly not a flop cuz it sold almost 7 million copies without any promotion

Tabloid Junkie

Post by Tabloid Junkie » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:37 pm

12 million selling invincible is not a flop either!

floetic_justice

Post by floetic_justice » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:41 pm

Yup yup. I made a rant about this a looooong time ago...i think it was when we used to have a rant section in here LOL.

Its because they [media] keep comparing every album to Thriller. Stoopid...lol Oh, Invincible didnt sell 60 million albums. Well, who does? NO ONE sells that amount records anymore. Invincible sold 2 mill in the US alone and 10 worldwide (which is probably more now). It debuted at #1 and stayed there for a week. How the hell is that a flop? A #1 album is a flop, riiight LOL. I dont care if its for a day, it still went to no 1 didnt it?! Or is that a flop for almighty Michael Jackson?

People expect so much for the man. And these are the same people who say The Beatles/Elvis is better. So if one of their greatest hits album sells less than an MJ album, that's alright. But for MJ (the one who's not as good as The Beatles remember?) sells more than that its not enough??? Stoopid...lol

Another dumb theory that was out was that 'his fans grew up and are adults now,' WTF? Should i even go one to say how stupid that is? lol In that case, arent Elvis fans grown up and wrinkled now? lol..

Sorry, i was wrong for dat last comment Image
..............mJJackson pOOkie beAr.

Puff\\\'s Brown Eyed Angel.

[ FLOACiST ]

[ FLOACiSM ]

[ FLOETRY ]

[ FLOETiC ]

[ FLO\\\'OLOGY ]

Phenomenal Woman,

that\\\'s me.

Badine

Post by Badine » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:03 pm

Another reason that Incvincible and number ones didnt sell as many is because people download music now. Most my friends dont buy CDs at all and only download music. Thats why NO ONE sells as many albums now adays.

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:10 pm

Call it the curse of Thriller. Because everyone and their mamas think if any subsequent album of his doesn't reach that pinnacle--or hell, surpasses that pinnacle that Thriller reached, that it's not a success.

Bull crap.

Michael competes with himself--that in itself is freakin amazing.
[align=center]Image[/align]

Cristine87

Post by Cristine87 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:11 pm

Numberones sold like over 4 million copies worldwide & that's pretty good, considering it got next to no promotion & the same with Invincible, debuted at #1 & sold 10 million worldwide & it didn't get alot of promotion so that's great & You Rock My World was a U.S. top ten hit & Butterflies was #2 on the R&B charts for a long time & get this, "Heaven can wait" which didn't get alot of airplay was the theme for that years prom at my highschool, I remember I was a freshman at the time. People in my school loved that song & it didn't get that much airplay, that's amazing. I'm so tired of critics always trying to discredit Michael, it makes me sick! That's the King of Pop, what the hell is wrong with you people?

dangerous

Post by dangerous » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:13 pm

Thriller Sucks. I lost my copy, both of them :laugh

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:28 pm

The Thriller CD? You lost it? Twice? Oh hell no. Girl what the f*ck is wrong with you?!

I still have mine, the case all scratched up. With Mike looking at me w/them big eyes and that curl that everyone in the 80's tried to emulate? And that white suit?

Lady In My Life, PYT, Wanna Be, Human Nature...whoa. *Down Carla, down.*

:laugh

privacy

Post by privacy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:28 am

The Thriller CD? You lost it? Twice? Oh hell no. Girl what the f*ck is wrong with you?!
*what she said*

lol.. i still got my thriller album but I really don't like it as much as I like his other albums.
[align=center]Image

I knew I'd love you like I do[/align]

Tabloid Junkie

Post by Tabloid Junkie » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:08 am

me too

Cinnamon Gurl

Post by Cinnamon Gurl » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:30 pm

None of MJ's ablum' have ever flopped!!! & I get very angry b/c ppl don't give "Invincible" the credit it truely deserves! I love that ablum! It was the 1st MJ ablum I ever bought! PPL need 2 get off the word "Flop". (well at least 4 MJ)

Oh yea & U was talkin about janet's "Damita JO" ablum. I think the reason it hasn't been doin well, Is b/c she hasn't done hardly any promotion 4 the record. I think when her tour starts up. Record sales will be difrent.

How could the clouds tease us into thinking it might rain ?

How could the need deceive us into thinking things might change ?~Cree Summer

It\\\\\\\'s time 2 B free of the mind,

Don\\\\\\\'t worry urself over this thing called time.

Walk without worry,

Walk without pain.

Run through the medow,

No need 2 cry 2day.

Pick a flower,

place it in ur hair.

Sing a song,

As the

Tabloid Junkie

Post by Tabloid Junkie » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:38 pm

there was huge promotion for damita jo. she appeared on shows, saturday night live, all kinds of talk shows, Vh1 did programs on her. i think the reason why it didn't sell was because of the whole superbowl thing. i'm so sick and tired of talking about the superbowl thing!

Cristine87

Post by Cristine87 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:29 pm

Damita Jo is a good album, I don't know why it didn't do well!