Michael losing fans in the states?

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Annique

Post by Annique » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:07 am

Originally posted by cecilia
Yeah, in Europe cds and dvds are preety expensive, should I say double or a little more?
Invincible cost about 25 euro, and euro is higher than the dollar. And History dvd 31.50 euro. I saw those prices when I was visiting France.

Here in Romania the stuff is not as expensive like in France, but the difference is little, about 2-3 euros less.

I haven't bought the Essential yet, because I haven't got the necessary money... :( Usually I buy everything but I have to wait, to save the money... I'm proud to say that I've managed to save the necessary sum and buy the Ultimate Collection! :)
But I got to say that the value of the Ultimate Collection ( aprox. 50 dollars) is almost quasi equivalent with 2/3 from a young teacher sallary here in Romania (180 dollars) We have here total different money, inflation and economic problems...

So I guess that Americans are plain lucky but they don't quite realise that, the stuff is very cheap in US, dream prices really! West Europeans are not that lucky, some of them go to the US on Christmas time for some massive shoppings, I saw that in some documentaries... And East Europeans, well here is really complicated....
Yeah the TUC is 60 euro's for me. And the number ones were 23 euro's, off the wall 11,50, and bad was 10 euro's. You just have to be lucky with some shops. Or look at the Black Market in Beverwijk, where I bought Invincible for 10 bucks. It's in a perfect state fortunately. I saw the Dangerous DVD for 22 Euro's at Diskoland

My Fanfics:

Love will find a way (MJ Fanfic)

A Lakewood Romance (MJ Fanfic)

ohmystars

Post by ohmystars » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:41 pm

i think he's way past that level of popularity that he has such a solid fanbase he'll never lose popularity in the states, and practically everywhere else. followers as in real, true to the heart fans who wouldn't stop loving him for any stupid allegations. they've been at his side through it all.

privacy

Post by privacy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:08 am

I don´t understand you guys. A CD is not expensive in US. When michael releases an album I don´t buy 1 I buy 3 CDs. I do that since HIStory. I have tons of Cds with the same songs, most of them are the Jackson 5 Greatest Hits. I buy singles from Europe, US, Japan, Australia... anywhere and I pay 5 times more than you do because I have to import them. Don´t bother me to give money to Michael.
Yes but other people have other, more important expenses to think about. If I could afford it, I'd definitely buy more than one of each album, but I can't. So enough of the "I don't understand you guys" as if we're being greedy. It's called life.
[align=center]Image

I knew I'd love you like I do[/align]

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:41 am

^^Thank you! Just wait until to you run into things called bills, Danielle. Good on you to be able to buy 3 CD's at one time...but there are many people who have other priorities.
[align=center]Image[/align]

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:04 pm

[QUOTE=Danielle Oliver;127187]I don´t understand you guys. A CD is not expensive in US. When michael releases an album I don´t buy 1 I buy 3 CDs. I do that since HIStory. I have tons of Cds with the same songs, most of them are the Jackson 5 Greatest Hits. I buy singles from Europe, US, Japan, Australia... anywhere and I pay 5 times more than you do because I have to import them. Don´t bother me to give money to Michael.[/QUOTE]

Um, ****. Yes, they are. A new MJ Cd will cost about 21, or 22 dollars. I could buy food with that. And I NEED food. Not saying I don't need Michael's music. It usually takes me a long time until I'll buy his cd, because I don't have 20 dollar bills popping out my ass like crazy.

And I don't have a job right now. I'm in college right now trying to make a living, trying to start a career. 20 dollars bills to me is a big thing. I hold on to them because they help keep me stable.

But, I always buy his music, and support him. It's the media that prevents non MJ fans from buying his music. The media has converted many MJ fans in the US to become haters. I know people that say "I used to love Michael in the 80s, but then he got crazy, and I stopped buying his ****!" Why? Media.

It's not the fan's fault.

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm

*Reading back through this old ass thread :lol ..*To counter an earlier post, lol: No, it's no 'mystery' why Michael did not tour here during "Dangerous". From what I understand, he was going to in '93, but we all know why the rest of that tour was cancelled..:( And during "HIStory", he DID stop here, in Hawaii. (Of course, those were the big, stadium tours, with mostly festival seating, which hasn't been legal in the mainland US for quite some time, I think). Never mind the fact that his first big concert after that, for Invincible, was here in America, in NYC..it's more a marketing thing than not feeling "comfortable", really. Because he could've turned his back for good after '93 or even after this last trial, but he ended up doing neither..

And about 'Michaelmania' being somehow existant in Europe and other areas but not here. Well, I don't think that's a really fair statement to make, considering the fact that he's mostly only been visiting in those other countries but has been living here for the better part of his life and career. He's made dozens of tour stops and visits in those places, staying at hotels and what not, but most of the time, when hes here in the US, he's either been at the ranch, secluded at some other rented house, or even now, laying low at a house in Vegas, etc, etc. Plus since most of the time he's been here, he's been a resident, lol, it's not like a planned visit a good majority of the time when he's here...take his recent outings in Vegas, for example. You'd pretty much have to be a fan already on his trail to have been there for that OR have lived there already and gone to the mall on advice, OR just happened to be there already. Things like his visits to London, for example, have most always been more planned. Plus the fact that, quite frankly, the climate of the fanbase at events there can be quite different than here and in other countries, between the fans that will actually follow him, go to his hotel, etc to those who just come for the event and go, etc. Doesn't make either less of a fan..everyone just has their own style.

As for him 'losing' fans...well, I'm sure there have been those who have come and gone, as with most any other artist, but I honestly have yet to see another who can pick up so many new fans at so many different times, even between albums (even during trials and tribulations!) like Michael has. Even after Bashir, hell, even after and DURING the trial, he was picking up new fans, even here in the US. So to somehow say he's 'lost' people here isn't really fair or can't really be said, definitively or neccessarily, at least..

But this topic is obviously an old one, lol, started at a time during which this topic was extra sensitive and hot, so..
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

[align=center]proud.to.be.an.american.mj.fan[/align]

Michael's_Lolly

Post by Michael's_Lolly » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:52 am

I wouldn't be surprised if I replied in this thread already, but I don't have the patience/time to flip back through. :lol

But I'd like to add, it is totally not a fair statement to accuse US of being any lesser a place than any other. Every place, every culture, every government or otherwise has it's problems. Often the same, often different. US has done him no supperior wrong. UK papers came up with Wacko Jacko, if you want to get into comparing the medias. If you want to accuse US of putting him through that trial, let me remind you--That was Sneddon, the Arvisozs, and the county they were in.

I was just talking to some friends about this a night or two ago, so it's funny I should see this here. XD

But, no, I'm rather tired of other countries, to generalize, claiming we as the US are oh-so horrible. It's not true. It's just not true.

Thank you. XD

Well said, BTW, ^^ InspirationMoonwalks! :D

~ML~
[align=center][say4]Thoughts are a resource, challenging the mind, a necessity. Without it, we have nothing. Without it, we are nothing. I think, therefore, I am.[/say4]

[say3]If we come into this world knowing we are loved, and we leave this world knowing the same, then everything in between can be dealt with.[/say3]

[saywhat]Be different. Stay different. Make a difference.[/saywhat]

Image[/align]

DirtyDiana87

Post by DirtyDiana87 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:54 am

I live in the states and I will always be a fan of Michael Jackson. Michael is a wonderful entertainer and it seems like people have forgottem how truly talented Michael is and all the charity work he has done all of the world and it makes me sad.

Thank you so much Pam for my beautiful avatar & Blend!! I love them so much!!

Thank you Sarah for the beautiful blend!!! I LOVE it!!!

mysteriousone

Post by mysteriousone » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:14 pm

I read this thread from the beginning, and found it to be quite interesting because a few of the comments came from US Citizens and are MJ fans yet they themselves believe Michael was/is unfairly treated in the US and that other countries appreciate him more than the USA! How it is that some feel that way and others don't, I will NEVER know, but take a look at their comments anyway!

[QUOTE=~Vicky~]MJ seems to be more appreciated elsewhere. As a whole at least.

I'm in the US and I love him. But our media is so horrible to him, and people here are like sheep. They listen to that media and believe every word of it.

Hence why MJ hasn't toured here since the 80s. MJ is international. I don't think the U.S deserves him.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Tabloid Junkie]Exactly! First of all, this thread should be edited; the title is very misleading.

However, I feel that not many people bought the damn album because it's the 6th greatest hits album! We have all the songs.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sistahlamb]I have to admit that Michael is more respected and appreciated in most other countries besides the US. Here, the media is obviously corrupt and free speach is abused.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Originally posted by ~Vicky~]MJ seems to be more appreciated elsewhere. As a whole at least.I'm in the US and I love him. But our media is so horrible to him, and people here are like sheep. They listen to that media and believe every word of it.Hence why MJ hasn't toured here since the 80s. MJ is international. I don't think the U.S deserves him.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Cristine87]I just find that very upsetting! Michael was born & raised here. He got his start here. He has shaped Popular music & has given so damn much. For this country to just dismiss him like that is bullsh*t![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=~Vicky~]That's the United States for you. If you don't conform, you're the devil. I just always remember how he said..'I can't believe this is the land from which I came.'

Meee either Michael![/QUOTE]

Well, well, well, Michael said THAT?? It appears Michael himself thinks he’s unfairly treated in the USA, his home………….now if he admits it, so should everyone else damn well admit it, fan or not! Good Grief, LMAO! *runs and hides* :rollin

Another comment from the US:

[QUOTE=Mjlovergurl]i have to agree with alot of people here. im a us citizen and i feel as though we in the US dont even appreaite Michael anymore. i love michael and i have for the last 16 years and i will never stop. i do see all the attention and love he gets in Europe and Asia and thats wonderful but i do wish that Michael would tour the US again and if he does then i think it will be a HUGE success. That is if he decides to. I dont give a rats ass what the media saids or any hater for that matter bc they dont know michael at all and just say thing to get rattings and make him look bad and to too look "cool" whatever. Mj is a wonderful human being and i do hope he gives the US another chance and tours again.[/QUOTE]

I just want to know, has Michael ever been accused of child-molestation in ANOTHER country? Has there ever been an accusation/allegation outside the US? Has there ever been a lawsuit filed against Michael for anything at all, outside of the US? I honestly don't know, that's why I'm asking--just genuine questions guys! :)

Mysti!
[align=center]Image

Thank you, Veronica! :wub:[/align]

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:54 pm

Well, common domicile or not, everyone has different takes on things, lol. :P I think the more 'negative' comments come from fans who focus more on the mass media's treatment of him, his persecutors, etc than the fans/public in general, you know? In which case, they DO have reason to be more negative because let's face it..he's generally not a media darling. :lol BUT I still think that LIMITING that to our media is unfair and unrealistic, as there have been nasty reports, rumors, etc. coming from the UK and other areas, too. And there have indeed been allegations/insinuations from other places, too. There was that one British dude who claimed freaky stuff happened in like 1980 or somewhere around there (who surfaced in a few trashy, unauthorized bios and on Bashir's 2nd 'documentary', I believe) and also someone in Canada or something if my memory serves me correctly..both of which, of course, went nowhere, but were out there, regardless. Nevermind that Bashir, Weisner, etc are not from here, either, and still caused him hell. Naturally the allegations/trial happened here, because guess what--this is his base! lol. But in truth, an accusation could be made anywhere..just depends on how far it goes. But he got acquitted here, didn't he?

And no one is denying that his life here hasn't all been roses or that he's had unfair treatment directed towards him here..well, at least I can state for the record that I'm not. I know I wouldn't have been out in Santa Maria, basically protesting the damn thing had I been denying that! lol. (and that line was from 'They Don't Care About Us', which COULD very well be autobiographical, but also goes well beyond that, into social issues and stuff as well..) But there is a difference between stating that unfair things happened here and generalizing the nation as a whole. No place is perfect, but if it's a person's home..it's their home and where they came from, you know? And again, he's always had a choice to go back or not, but he always has (even this last time, even though it took awhile..but he still did, eventually, and on his own accord..) , so that speaks volumes, I think. All a lot of us American fans want I think, at least from my perspective, is not to be generalized because of the actions of a few. Also this thread was started during a very sensitive time when it came to this subject....it's a pretty old argument, a lot of it now, I think. We're all moving onto bigger and better things and discussions now, I think. And soo much more positive. Thank God! :D
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

[align=center]proud.to.be.an.american.mj.fan[/align]