Tributes making me more bitter Bullet #333

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? Got any info you want to share?

Moderator: Global Moderator

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:24 pm

An expanded MJEOL Bullet (#333) of this post is posted on page 2

I'm still a bit too bitter to cry over some of these tributes. Maybe it's just me. This is certainly no diss to certain people giving public tributes.

I'm ranting about the larger scale of what's going on now after his death with the increased interest and skyrocketing music sales.

He knew we existed before he died; knew we loved, adored, cared, and supported him BEFORE he left this world.

We went out and bought his music BEFORE he died. We screamed outside the gates at the 2005 trial BEFORE he died. We wore tshirts with his pictures BEFORE he died. We sang his music BEFORE he died.

We fought with family members, friends and talking-heads on tv BEFORE he died. Some of us even made up songs or changed the lyrics to preexisting songs and sang them (in our own little worlds) to him BEFORE he died.

He didn't leave this earth without knowing how much he's inspired us. He knew he was like water, like air to some of us BEFORE he died.

Now people want to pay public tribute to him? Just in the nick of time, huh.

Seeing all this, I'm about a thousand times more bitter than I was before he passed away because I feel like all this is too little, too late.

We've been screaming at the top of our lungs about the importance of this man BEFORE he died. He got treated like $hit.

All of a sudden the rest of the nation wants to remember how important he was? In the words of my illustrious mama: That's some low-down $hit right there.

:8-26-03sneaky:

wacky_sis

Post by wacky_sis » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Too little too late indeed.

Most are probably making tributes just because it's what's selling at the moment. More viewers on CNN, NBC, etc, more magazines sold. Why wouldn't they make a tribute? *being really REALLY sarcastic*
But one week from now those same people are going to ask "Michael who?"

\\\"In the end, everything turns out just fine. - Ana E.\\\"

\\\"It\\\'s better to feel sorry for what you\\\'ve done, than to feel sorry for what you didn\\\'t do.\\\" - ???

mjhb29
Trial Period
Trial Period

Post by mjhb29 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:32 pm

I sooooo agree with you. I am so sick of people in general that are one way with someone until they die then they do a 180 turn. I myself have had to defend Michael to my family and friends on numerous occasions. I know that Michael knows who has been there for him through everything and who just wants a little attention from the media and their friends who are really fans.

Million Voices

Post by Million Voices » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:40 pm

You are so right, whisper.
[align=center]Image[/align]

miss

Post by miss » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 pm

[QUOTE=whisper;212194]I'm still a bit too bitter to cry over some of these tributes. Maybe it's just me. This is certainly no diss to certain people giving public tributes.

I'm ranting about the larger scale of what's going on now after his death with the increased interest and skyrocketing music sales.

He knew we existed before he died; knew we loved, adored, cared, and supported him BEFORE he left this world.

We went out and bought his music BEFORE he died. We screamed outside the gates at the 2005 trial BEFORE he died. We wore tshirts with his pictures BEFORE he died. We sang his music BEFORE he died.

We fought with family members, friends and talking-heads on tv BEFORE he died. Some of us even made up songs or changed the lyrics to preexisting songs and sang them (in our own little worlds) to him BEFORE he died.

He didn't leave this earth without knowing how much he's inspired us. He knew he was like water, like air to some of us BEFORE he died.

Now people want to pay public tribute to him? Just in the nick of time, huh.

Seeing all this, I'm about a thousand times more bitter than I was before he passed away because I feel like all this is too little, too late.

We've been screaming at the top of our lungs about the importance of this man BEFORE he died. He got treated like $hit.

All of a sudden the rest of the nation wants to remember how important he was? In the words of my illustrious mama: That's some low-down $hit right there.

:8-26-03sneaky:[/QUOTE]

So true whisper.. so very true ppl are hypocrits
one day I'll fly away, leave all this to yesterday...

marialovesmjj

Post by marialovesmjj » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:27 pm

I understand. I feel similar.
Keeper Of MJ's eyes hands and fingers that r on them!

Myspace.Twitter.

Sometimes it's not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning.

Yea and...Yea!

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:59 pm

This is the gist of what the Al's and Jesse's and Jermaine's and Miko's and the like have been trying to say since day one, but no one's trying to hear it.

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that his life was filled with too much two facedness and that he'll never turn on the T.V. to see the love and support that he should have gotten from the industry. Thru thick and thin. The only constant were us, his fans.

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, It really pisses me off. I think we all knew after he was gone, people would be kissing his a**, when they didn't even care when he was alive.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Finally someone who understands me! :pullhair

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

Missy

Post by Missy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 pm

I feel your bitterness... So many people I know are now saying how great he was when 6 months ago, they were the same people I ended up defending Michael against. :chairbeat

It's not just people I know either. I've been watching vids of Michael on YouTube a lot lately and the tributes are tenfold there... and pretty much everywhere. Usually bad comments are scattered all over the place in regards to Michael. Not anymore. Maybe people are realising what they have lost.

Ah well, I know I've always been there for him and always will be, even when the frenzy has gone and the wishy-washy people have forgotten...

Missing you...

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Had to expand it into a bullet:

Tributes to Michael Jackson Making Me Bitter? - Bullet #333

In the midst or retrospectives and tributes, I find myself still a bit too bitter to cry over some of these public Michael Jackson tributes.

Maybe it's just me but my concern is two-fold. Stars and regular folk alike are publicly expressing their love for Michael Jackson's music now. Media are also paying a modicum of attention to things of which they so thoroughly ignored for at least the past 15 years.

What is drawing my ire is the larger scale of what's going on now after Michael Jackson's death with the increased interest in his music and skyrocketing music sales.

As fans, observers and/or social commentators, he knew we existed before he died. He knew we loved, adored, cared, and/or supported him BEFORE he left this world.

As a collective subset of the public, we went out and bought his music BEFORE he died. Some of us screamed outside the gates at the 2005 trial in Santa Maria BEFORE he died. We wore t-shirts with his pictures BEFORE he died. We sang his music BEFORE he died.

We fought with family members, friends and know-nothing media hacks over the subject of Michael Jackson BEFORE he died. Some of us even made up songs or changed the lyrics to preexisting songs and sang them to him (in our own little worlds) BEFORE he died.

We knew he wasn't perfect but we made sure he didn't leave this earth without knowing how much he inspired us. He knew he was like water, like air to some of us BEFORE he died. He knew how much some of us were pulling for him to straighten out his personal life BEFORE he died.

And he was able to feel that love and to appreciate it while he was still here.

__...Till the moment your eyes open and you know__
NOW people want to pay public tribute to him? NOW they want to talk about something other than his proximity to children? NOW they want to focus on the upcoming tour?

NOW they want to try to understand the importance and serenity of Neverland? NOW some want to internally criticize their colleagues for irresponsible and disrespectful coverage focusing on sensationalistic bull$hit?

The concern comes just in the nick of time, huh? Where were these people when he needed them?

Seeing all this, I'm about a thousand times more bitter than I was before he passed away because this is too little, too late.

We tracked down facts and studied unsubstantiated stories to such an extent that when we heard their regurgitated versions, we knew it was crap.

We poured over pages and pages of courtroom transcripts from the trial -- when Jackson was tried on false molestation allegations -- to such an extent we could almost quote obscure testimony in our sleep in 2005.

We've been screaming at the top of our lungs about the importance of this man before he died.

He got treated like $hit. His family relationships were criticized, and his kids were (and still are) talked about like they are inanimate objects.

Every time he would open up to the public, he had people figuratively chopping his head off, or using his openness against him.

To be blunt, if he left this Earth thinking you thought he was a piece of trash, I don't give a rat's a$s about how much of a contribution to music you now think he made. It's too late. It means nothing now that some are trying to figure out why he was so important to the rest of us.

All of a sudden the rest of the nation wants to remember how important he was to music and social change. All of sudden his history-changing videos are the main topic of conversation. All of a sudden it doesn't matter if his nose was big or small. All of a sudden pity is bestowed upon his childhood and lifestyle after years of him begging to be understood. WTF?

In the words of my illustrious mother: That's some low-down $hit right there.

__...All the things I ever wanted you to know__
Know-nothing hacks and highly irresponsible members of the media who continue to chase unsubstantiated stories down rabbit holes all over the world still haven't learned their lesson from the way they covered Jackson during his lifetime.

Yet they continue to be surprised at the general public support and respect towards Michael Jackson.

During his lifetime, this collective 'they' were all in a big bubble of group-think. They thought everybody else in the country felt the same way about Michael Jackson as they did. They even had some of the public believing that the rest of the public despised Michael Jackson.

Today on CNN's Reliable Sources, the panel included Don Lemon and Sharon Waxman. Of course they tackled the media's coverage of the story.

You may remember Waxman's name because she was once accused of swiping unsubstantiated rumors about Jackson's finances from fired Fox 411 gossipmonger Roger Friendman.

[video]http://www.mjeol.com/acc2/CNN_ReliableS ... 7-5-09.flv[/video]

Waxman made room for a certain sense of regret in the way the media storm raged around Jackson during his life. From the panel discussion:
Waxman: Another thing is also we've spent a lot of years beating up on Michael Jackson. I covered many aspects of beating up on him business wise, and the child molestation thing. And what I think we're realizing in all of this is hey, he was actually a nice person.

Lemon: A real person.

Waxman: I can't tell you how many people have -- a real person, an interesting --

(crosstalk)

Waxman: I think there is a sense of him in the media of, of feeling badly -- of regret in the Michael Jackson thing. Honestly there is a little bit of that haze of expiation in 'gee, he was kind of fantastic'. (crosstalk) ... Badmouthing him... (crosstalk)

Lemon: She's absolutely right.
That's why some members of the media seem to be caught totally off guard (Chris Matthews, Howard Kurtz) or continue to be totally tone deaf/brain dead (Keith Olbermann, Nancy Grace) on the topic of Michael Jackson.

My conflicted bitterness towards all of this ill-timed sympathy -- this need for understanding -- will remain unchanged until lessons are learned and Jackson's name is cleared.

My loathing towards those whose saw in Michael Jackson not a human being, but rather, a walking dollar sign will remain unchanged.

That goes double for the lazy, mediocre, gutter-garbage-chasing members of a particular profession which have, up until now, generally deserved to be met with skepticism and contempt.

Until this collective 'they' learn their lesson about 'their' collective treatment of Michael Jackson -- and learn it in a very embarrassing and public way -- they can all go to hell.

Moreover, the thousands screaming the streets to pay respect to Michael Jackson, I can only hope to God most of you didn't wait until now to suddenly discover his importance.

MJEOL

R e a f u

Post by R e a f u » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:02 pm

I know what you mean whisper. On the one hand it's wonderful that people are FINALLY saying something that doesn't have to do with his nose,skin tone or about a supposed penchant for little boys but it feels like all the amazing things he has done in his life, were forgotten for 15 years. It's sad but I guess it's better he is recognized for his work now than never...

Cristine87

Post by Cristine87 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Whisper, where do I even begin? I've been b*tching about this in quite a few of my posts. I'm angry, not just sad, but angry. "I told you so" comes to mind. All this MJ mania now? I really wanted to see this when he was alive. I waited years to see him regain popularity when he was still alive. He's dead amd now he's popular again? It's not fair! It's not fair and it hurts. I see all these people coming out of the wood work claiming to be fans, but I question them. Like you said, we had the albums, we defended him, we admired him, we knew his innocense. What people are feeling for him right now, we felt for years. The audacity of people. Do they not feel ashamed of there hypocracy? Michael's dead. He needed people's support when he was alive. Why did he have to die for people to wake the f*ck up?:ohnoyoudidnt

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:07 am

[QUOTE=Cristine87;212228]Whisper, where do I even begin? I've been b*tching about this in quite a few of my posts. I'm angry, not just sad, but angry. "I told you so" comes to mind. All this MJ mania now? I really wanted to see this when he was alive. I waited years to see him regain popularity when he was still alive. He's dead amd now he's popular again? It's not fair! It's not fair and it hurts. I see all these people coming out of the wood work claiming to be fans, but I question them. Like you said, we had the albums, we defended him, we admired him, we knew his innocense. What people are feeling for him right now, we felt for years. The audacity of people. Do they not feel ashamed of there hypocracy? Michael's dead. He needed people's support when he was alive. Why did he have to die for people to wake the f*ck up?:ohnoyoudidnt[/QUOTE]

I think the 'true' MJ fans are the ones who thought of this when everyone decided to go out and buy all of his albums, posters, dvd's, the minute he died, when many of us had many of them, or knew every lyric of every song. Like those things were never around when he was alive?! Record stores were always open FULL of Michael's stuff.

I remember when my mother went out to go buy Invincible for me in 2001, and she said the guy who checked her out said, "Ohhh.. Michael Jackson?!" She said, "Yes, my daughter is a huge fan." He said, "Oh well, no one buys his stuff anymore." Like she or I gave 2 $hits about his opinion. Bastards. They should all be ashamed of themselves for turning their back on him when he needed their support and respect the most.:angry:

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

dangerous

Post by dangerous » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:17 am

Spot on Whisper, my sentiments exactly. Every time I hear a song of his in the mall, or hear people talking so "fondly" about him, I am holding back the urge to shout "WHERE WAS YO ASS WHEN HE WAS ALIVE?!?!?"