Judge: No cameras in Michael Jackson death trial (2013 Apr 7)

Found any positive articles or new about him? You can read and reply to the latest MJ news items. This forum is for actual news articles about MJ with source information.

Moderator: Global Moderator

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Judge: No cameras in Michael Jackson death trial (2013 Apr 7)

Post by whisper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 pm

The wrongful death trial of concert promoter AEG Live filed by Michael Jackson's mother and three children will not be televised, a judge decided Friday.

CNN had requested its camera be allowed in the courtroom during the trial, but Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos issued a ruling Friday denying the request.

California law leaves the decision to the trial judge's discretion based on 19 factors to be considered. Palazuelos did not say in her ruling what factors swayed her decision.

AEG Live to put Michael Jackson on trial in his own death

AEG Live's lawyer argued televising the trial could create a frenzy among Jackson fans at the courthouse that could pose a threat to witnesses.

Jackson lawyers argued in favor of having a camera in court, saying it would be the best way for the world to see justice done.

Without cameras, only a handful of journalists will have seats in the small courtroom in downtown Los Angeles.

The Jacksons' lawsuit accuses AEG Live of liability in Jackson's death through the negligent hiring of Dr. Conrad Murray, the physician who is serving a prison sentence after being convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Conrad Murray from jail: 'I was in the wrong place at the wrong time'

AEG Live contends Murray was never its employee, but was chosen and hired by Jackson.

If AEG Live is found liable by a jury, it could mean a multibillion dollar judgment for the Jacksons, based on the potential earnings of Michael Jackson had he lived past his 50th birthday.

Opening statements and the first witness could be heard in about two weeks in the trial that is expected to last for two to three months.

The pool of potential jurors reached 60 Friday afternoon after four days of eliminating jurors for hardship reasons. The process will continue Monday and Tuesday or until about 100 potential jurors are identified. On Wednesday, the lawyers will start the voir dire process of eliminating jurors based on cause or their jury strikes allowed under court rules.

Until then, the lawyers are studying their answers to a long questionnaire the potential jurors completed. The process is expected to continue for another week, perhaps ending around April 16 or 17.

It is unclear how soon after a jury is seated that the judge will have lawyers deliver opening statements and call the first witness. Some judges allow the jury a day or so to take care of personal business after being selected.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/05/showbiz/j ... al-camera/

Dialdancer

Re: Judge: No cameras in Michael Jackson death trial (2013 Apr 7)

Post by Dialdancer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:13 pm

I think this was a wrong decision.  In the years to come people who wish to study this trial will have to do so using the written word, filtering out for or against bias and impressions due to verbal slight of hand.

We now know how handy it is to dispute when someone wishes to rewrite their part in history and there is a video of them saying it differently.

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't know.  It would be a good thing for accuracy's sake, and so we won't have to depend on tweets for our information. 

However, I certainly wouldn't want this to turn into wall to wall coverage about dumb $hit which has nothing to do with whether or not AEG was liable in some way for Mike's death. 
IE, Mike drinking/drunk.. (a drunk musician? oh my stars! clutch the pearls! never heard of that before!  :yeahright)

Dialdancer

Post by Dialdancer » Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm

[quote="whisper"]
I don't know.  It would be a good thing for accuracy's sake, and so we won't have to depend on tweets for our information. 

However, I certainly wouldn't want this to turn into wall to wall coverage about dumb $hit which has nothing to do with whether or not AEG was liable in some way for Mike's death. 
IE, Mike drinking/drunk.. (a drunk musician? oh my stars! clutch the pearls! never heard of that before!  :yeahright)
[/quote]

I agree.  I'd like to think this is the last time there will be a Media circus trial with Michael as the defendant whether defendant or not, but I have lost a lot of the shine in my eye about the people who populated Michael's life. 

I did not do a get deal of TV News watching due to trust issue with them, but I have been getting an education since Jun 09.  CNN has a new boss and the tone and presentation of the CNN & HLN programs have changed.  I told some people they remind me of the videos I have on Hard Copy & Court TV during 03-06.  Wasn't all that good before but to me even worse now. 

Oldschooly

Post by Oldschooly » Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 am

I just can't believe Michael's children are involved in this.

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 am

Believe it. They don't care about protecting Mike's kids.  Mike' kids don't know anything about Conrad Murray's negotiations with AEG, or even the full details of any negotiations between Mike and Conrad Murray.

AEG wanted to use the threat of calling Mike's kids to the stand to stop this lawsuit. Didn't work because nobody cares about Mike's kids to the extent that Mike did. Right or wrong, whether he wanted to win a case against somebody or not, no way in hell he would allow his kids to be in court testifying about anything. Period. If just to spare them from that nonsense.

With that being said, AEG is up to their eyeballs in this mess.  A long time ago when there was just an inkling about AEG somehow being involved, I initially thought people could have been barking up the wrong tree.  Obviously not. 

1. They found a contract between Conrad Murray and AEG in Murray's car.
2. There was that email from AEG reminding Murray who was paying his bills. 
3. And according to that contract, Murray was going to get backpay from AEG dating back to May 1 2009.

So they are all complicit in this mess.

Murray was reckless as hell. AEG didn't give a $hit as long as he got on that stage. But Mike is the one dead and buried.  Ain't that some $hit?
Last edited by whisper on Thu May 02, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.