Judge allows Jackson film showing (Jan 28 2005)

Found any positive articles or new about him? You can read and reply to the latest MJ news items. This forum is for actual news articles about MJ with source information.

Moderator: Global Moderator

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:21 pm

Last Updated: Friday, 28 January, 2005, 23:49 GMT

Judge allows Jackson film showing

Martin Bashir's documentary Living With Michael Jackson will be shown to jurors at the singer's child abuse trial, the judge has ruled.

The controversial programme contains footage of singer Jackson defending his practice of letting young boys sleep in the same room as him at his ranch.

The defence had opposed the move, saying the show was heavily edited and unreliable as evidence.

Mr Jackson, 46, has denied 10 counts of child molestation and conspiracy.

In another ruling at the last pre-trial hearing before jury selection begins next week, Judge Rodney Melville said material described as erotic and including some images of nude children could be shown.

Defence lawyers argued that the prosecution had not established that the items belonged to Mr Jackson, as around 70 staff at the residence had access to the areas where they were found.

But in a victory for the defence, Judge Melville ruled that Mr Jackson's accuser and his brother would have to testify in open court despite prosecution protests that this would traumatise them.

'Inflammatory'

The judge said a version of Mr Bashir's programme aired on British TV would be shown, rather than a longer documentary shown in the US containing commentary by journalists.

Prosecutors had called the US version "a public relations catastrophe" and said jurors could not understand the impact it had had on the singer without them seeing it in its entirety.

The defence argued that the programme constituted inadmissible hearsay and contained highly inflammatory material.

The film was the UK's biggest TV export of 2003, sold to 120 countries.

At the time it sparked outrage from the singer, who said he was "utterly betrayed" and "unfairly treated" by Bashir.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 217645.stm

H.E. Pennypacker
Trial Period
Trial Period

Post by H.E. Pennypacker » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:55 pm

This is outrageous. It will be a miracle if Michael ever wins this trial, when it obviously favors the prosecution.

t1obaggage

Post by t1obaggage » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:56 pm

Michael's going to win this case because he's innocent. Nothing I've heard that the prosecution has proves ANYTHING at all.

Tiger Lilly

Post by Tiger Lilly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:04 pm

Originally posted by H.E. Pennypacker
This is outrageous. It will be a miracle if Michael ever wins this trial, when it obviously favors the prosecution.
You need to check your facts if you think Michael will lose because of the LWMJ doc. I don't see it having any major impact on the trial. Of course I could be wrong but the boy was on it saying Michael did nothing. It's gonna hurt G-boy more than Michael.

Besides, there were plenty of great rulings by Melville at the last court hearing. Get a grip!

And just like t1obaggage said, I've heard nothing to make me doubt Michael so far. Just some twisted stuff that will prove nothing, except how patheticly desperate Sneddumb is.

privacy

Post by privacy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:12 pm

Miracle my a$$. Everything that the prosecution has come up with proves nothing other than that they are gold-diggers and plain stupid a lot of the time.

Jesus. How to bring a person down.
[align=center]Image

I knew I'd love you like I do[/align]

~Vicky~

Post by ~Vicky~ » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:13 pm

From what I've heard the video isn't to prove that Michael did anything to the boy, it's to prove their conspiracy charge.

Tiger Lilly

Post by Tiger Lilly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:16 pm

Prove the conspiracy charge, huh Sned? :lol: Well, G-boy looked so distressed at being heldcaptive didn't he? There's a film crew, a camera, loadsa people unrelated to Michael's team and it could all go on TV...... But nah, he didn't wanna tell anyone.

***roll eyes***

SpecialJanet25

Post by SpecialJanet25 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:24 pm

Originally posted by NevaehDreamz
From what I've heard the video isn't to prove that Michael did anything to the boy, it's to prove their conspiracy charge.

Unfortuantely, their conspiracy charge simply doesn't make sense

H.E. Pennypacker
Trial Period
Trial Period

Post by H.E. Pennypacker » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:09 pm

Uh! Why are you guys treating me like an anti-Michael Jackson person? I am a fan, and of course I like him, but I understand that the court system is not always fair. A lot of the time, courts are not fair to the defense team making it nearly impossible for the defense to win.

We all know he's innocent, but I don't doubt the fact that the legal system (I no longer call it a justice system) can fail. Michael, of course, disagrees, and believes in the legal system.

Maybe things aren't that bad for the defense. I wouldn't know, because we don't hear about great things happening for the defense all that often. We hear more about the prosecution doing this and that.