Threat sends court officials scurrying (Aug 19 2004)- Santa Maria Times

Found any positive articles or new about him? You can read and reply to the latest MJ news items. This forum is for actual news articles about MJ with source information.

Moderator: Global Moderator

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:31 am

Threat sends court officials scurrying

A threat against Michael Jackson sent Santa Barbara County court officials scurrying Monday, although no official release or statement about the threat has been issued.

A source who spoke on the condition of anonymity confirmed the threat and said it is being taken seriously as court and law enforcement officials continue to labor over whether and how to publicly release details.

One concern revolves around whether to give "credibility" to whoever made the threat that was received on the same day that Jackson and numerous members of his family made a flashy appearance in a Santa Maria courtroom.

But neither county Sheriff Jim Anderson nor court officials have publicly addressed the threat.

Another source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said court officials are empowered to release a statement if they choose and do not have to wait for Sheriff's Department officials to comment.

The first source said court officials expected sheriff's officials to put out a statement Wednesday.

But a spokesman for the department said he knew nothing about such a plan and declined to discuss any aspect of the threat in the celebrity child-molestation case.

"We are not prepared to comment on that issue," said Sgt. Chris Pappas.

Courthouse security Monday seemed particularly tight.

And, on Tuesday in Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville's courtroom, talk about the unspecified threat buzzed among some members of the nation's press corps.

Early in the pretrial hearing, District Attorney Tom Sneddon informed Melville that he needed to talk at some point about "security" issues.

Melville quickly agreed.

At the end of the hearing, Melville asked the prosecution team who would be meeting with him in chambers to discuss security.

Sneddon stood and said he and the deputy sheriff in charge of courthouse security would attend.

When Melville asked Jackson's defense team who would represent them, lead attorney Thomas Mesereau Jr. stood.

"I want to be there," he said.

Although nobody came right out and said so, the secret meeting seemed to be connected to the threat, precautions for future court hearings and the trial that's scheduled to begin in January.

Last January, a high-ranking police official explained to me the main responsibility police faced in providing courthouse security for Jackson. He said the mission was clear: making sure that "nobody takes him out."

By that, the official meant that police need to take every precaution they can to keep an attacker from killing one of the most famous people in the world.

Not everybody loves Jackson.

During the lunch recess Monday, a car drove south on Miller Street and slowed as it passed the throng of media that packed the courthouse parking lot. A man in the passenger seat screamed a tirade against the celebrity defendant who has pleaded not guilty and is free on $3 million bail.

My conversation with CNN reporter Miguel Marquez stopped abruptly as we both looked quickly toward the street. As the car continued south on Miller, all I could make out was Jackson's name and the words "hang him."

A colleague later told me that earlier in the day a man had screamed almost word-for-word vilification against Jackson from a passing car.

Grim words from a high-ranking police official signal the stark reality that comes with trying to safeguard any celebrity who might provoke ire.

Grim words from Jackson's foes signal an equally distressing scenario.

That's why government officials charged with the duty to protect Jackson and anybody else who shows up at the courthouse need to share details about the vague threat against the superstar defendant.

Because police can only do so much to protect people, people can help by taking precautions to protect themselves. To do that, though, people need to know what's going on.

Once they learn the facts about the threat, the curious might stay home rather than attend future Jackson legal proceedings. Fans might not bring children to the courthouse.

Jackson might even choose to wear body armor or avoid getting close to strangers gathered on the other side of the chain-link fence.

People need to be armed with enough information to decide for themselves.

Not knowing constitutes a threat against us all.

* Steve Corbett's column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. He can be reached at 739-2215 or e-mailed at scorbett@pulitzer.net. Read Corbett online at www.santamariatimes.com.

Aug. 19, 2004

:nav Source: http://www.santamariatimes.com/articles ... orbett.txt

Tiger Lilly

Post by Tiger Lilly » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:46 am

That's.... really worrying..... That really makes me feel sick.... Plz God, don't let anything happen to him. :praying: :bluecry:

Trust police not to make a statement tho...

SpecialJanet25

Post by SpecialJanet25 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:19 am

Originally posted by Tiger Lilly
That's.... really worrying..... That really makes me feel sick.... Plz God, don't let anything happen to him. :praying: :bluecry:

Trust police not to make a statement tho...
Hey Sweetheart, it's going to be alright. That's comes with territory. All celebrities are going to target of threats. But because Michael is facing some serious charges here, there are people out there who hates him. Who ever did that is trying to scary him. Michael is strong. I bet he's not afraid, but I think he and his defense team will be on the lookout. Don't worry God, is not going to let anything happen to Mike.

Tiger Lilly

Post by Tiger Lilly » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:31 am

Originally posted by SpecialJanet25
Hey Sweetheart, it's going to be alright. That's comes with territory. All celebrities are going to target of threats. But because Michael is facing some serious charges here, there are people out there who hates him. Who ever did that is trying to scary him. Michael is strong. I bet he's not afraid, but I think he and his defense team will be on the lookout. Don't worry God, is not going to let anything happen to Mike.
Thank you honey, that means alot. I know that this is just to scare Michael and keep him away from court but damn.... that's some serious shit. When they mention bullet-proof gear thats a bit daunting. I have images of the Beatles in my head... But I know its just some stupid prat trying to look hard and it's probably all talk/threats and no action. Thank you.

SpecialJanet25

Post by SpecialJanet25 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:48 am

Originally posted by Tiger Lilly
Thank you honey, that means alot. I know that this is just to scare Michael and keep him away from court but damn.... that's some serious shit. When they mention bullet-proof gear thats a bit daunting. I have images of the Beatles in my head... But I know its just some stupid prat trying to look hard and it's probably all talk/threats and no action. Thank you.
Hey it's my pleasure. Like I said, we live in a scary world and the evilness of people out who wants to see him down. Let all pray and hope to God nothing will go wrong.

LadyJackson

Post by LadyJackson » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:00 pm

Don't worry he is in the BEST hands that anyone could ever be in...GOD'S HANDS!!! :D

The man is absolutely gorgeous!!!:mf_w00t2:

~Vicky~

Post by ~Vicky~ » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:35 pm

I can't think about this.

MJforever

Post by MJforever » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:41 pm

:( oh my god, plz dont let anything happen to him... that's really scary..
[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]if you should ever find someone new[/align]

[align=center]i know she better be good to you[/align]

[align=center]cuz if she doesnt ...i\\\\'ll be there[/align]

livejournal

t1obaggage

Post by t1obaggage » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:27 pm

It ticks me off that people are so ignorant to go drive up there and shout crap like that out of a window. I bet that guy has never even bothered to look up any real info on the case, he probably just sits around listening to Diane Dimond's crap. Here's a question, if it wasn't Michael Jackson, would the guy be out there yelling that stuff? Would he do the same for a person that wasn't famous? Probably part of it was wanting to be on TV or something. What an idiot. I am so sick of people who don't know a thing about this case but continue to condemn Michael. It hurts me deeply to see an innocent and pure man degraded by the ignorance and prejudice of others. I'm so glad that Michael continues to be strong and confident though.

They better keep that courthouse safe. I don't think it's past Sneddon to try and inflict physical harm on Michael, through someone else possibly. Let's keep praying to God to keep Michael safe through all this.

urbanpinkpixie

Post by urbanpinkpixie » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:14 pm

Man, reading that got my stomach in knots. I can't really think about what would happen if that threat really did get carried out.
[align=center]LJ / MySpace \\\\  Xanga

[/align]

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:30 pm

Originally posted by MJslovelyone
Don't worry he is in the BEST hands that anyone could ever be in...GOD'S HANDS!!! :D
Thank you.

Besides, Michael's been threatened all his life (or so I hear; I haven't been a fan that long, lol). But I do feel that the threats are magnified now because this is such a highly visible case.

Maybe I'm far reaching, but in my eyes, this just might be a ploy.

A.) To deflect attn away from the logistics of the case. It's too easy to ignore the facts..as long as you hear that Mike's been getting threats, your minds made up that he MUST be an evil man. Read: Tainting potential jurors

B.) To try and keep the fans away from the courthouse.
Once they learn the facts about the threat, the curious might stay home rather than attend future Jackson legal proceedings. Fans might not bring children to the courthouse.

That's thinly veiled to basically say, y'all asses need to stay home, we don't want you.

Remember, it's costing the county a grip to accomodate Michael's fan base, nevermind the extra security and the media who show up as well. Not to make light of the situation, but Santa Maria is broke as a joke, and you know someone's pissed of all the attn. Michael receives. Someone's very bitter and resentful right now.

This threat reeks of desperation, IMO
[align=center]Image[/align]

privacy

Post by privacy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:35 pm

Oh.. my baby..
[align=center]Image

I knew I'd love you like I do[/align]

LuckyStar

Post by LuckyStar » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:21 pm

This IS serious. Anyone know what the threat was about?
Not sure i wanna know thou...

:inuyasha1 Inu!