2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Use this forum to discuss anything other than Michael Jackson. OT discussions from the other forums have been moved to this forum

Moderator: Global Moderator

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Well, 2008 is finally upon us and with it...election season. Yes, officially (feels like it's been going on forever, doesn't it? Well for people here in the U.S at least, where you literally can't even turn on the TV these days without running into SOMETHING about it..) :P And tommorow, both the Democratic and Republican parties are holding their caucuses in Iowa, an event which, while not neccessarily deciding who will be nominated to run for each party in the general election in November, plays a significant part in doing so...or at least, sets the tone. I know most of us here won't get to participate in the caucuses tommorow (Any Iowans among us? :8-26-03fruits_apple ), but if you could, who would you support? For the fun of it, let's take a vote! :D

I like all the folks on the Democratic side, but right now find myself leaning towards John Edwards (out of the 'top tier' candidates, anyway), with Obama a close second...though I still really like Hillary...ah, but I will support whoever gets the nom on my side! This race is too important! :D But what about the rest of you? ALL opinions welcomed (we won't bite..lol :P ) :8-26-03fruits_apple

This should be interesting.... :popcorn
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

[align=center]proud.to.be.an.american.mj.fan[/align]

Shannon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm rooting for Hillary, I would really like her as a president. Just imagine having good, old Bill alongside... :wub: hahaha. :P But seriously, I like all the democratic candidates, they all seem genuinely nice. I wish I could vote. :(
[align=center]Image

Thank you, Leah

Thank you for everything,

Michael

...My Fanfiction...

You Are My Life

...My Website dedicated to Michael...

http://www.thesilencedtruth.com[/align]

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:55 pm

This is tough, since I like most of the Democratic candidates, but I'm also kind of leaning towards John Edwards, though I would definitely vote for Hillary or Obama if they got the nomination. As long as it wasn't Giuliani or Mike Huckabee or any other Republican.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Wow, looks like Edwards is winning here on MJEOL thus far..wonder if tonight will go as well for him? :lol :P

[QUOTE=Shannon;199680]I'm rooting for Hillary, I would really like her as a president. Just imagine having good, old Bill alongside... :wub: hahaha. :P But seriously, I like all the democratic candidates, they all seem genuinely nice. I wish I could vote. :([/QUOTE]

Haha :P I must admit that a part of me is still rooting for her, just so I can go see Bill out on the campaign trail! :whistles :lol :P And she has a lot of very good ideas and points. But I find myself with some mixed feelings about her as nominee, due, in part, to some of her votes in the Senate (not only on the Iraq war authorization back in '03, but some of the more recent votes in the subject as well, dating up to March of last year!) and some of her more recent campaign tactics, particurally towards Obama, some of which just seemed, IMHO at least, a bit desperate on her part. :unsure: Plus there is, sad as there is to say, a certain 'grudge factor' towards her by an element here in the US; some who would flat out refuse to vote for her in a general election just because she IS Hillary Clinton and would probably vote for the Republican just to spite her, idiotic as it sounds. :rolleyes: BUT then again, she has taken so much **** from the Right Wing and beaten them back, so I'm not sure they'd be able to 'swift boat' her the way they did John Kerry and I still think she could pull it off, but...I dunno, there are just so many good candidates to choose from in this election, perhaps more than ever before...TOO many, if you ask me! :lol But I am a fan of the Clintons, lol, and would still get behind her if she gets it...I'd get behind ANY of them on the Democratic side, as any one of them would be a breath of fresh air after the current administration..:8-26-03yuk: :lol

That said, I'm rooting for Edwards, but still deciding between him and Obama, with Hillary following close behind.....quite the decisive one, aren't I? :P lol..
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Looks like Huckabee won for the Republicans in the Caucus, and it seems that Barack Obama is winning for the Democrats,with Hillary in second and John Edwards in third.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Obama won, Edwards 2nd and Clinton 3rd with 99% of the voting results in.

Dang, Clinton lost to BOTH Obama and Ewards? Didn't see that coming. (I am for Edwards)

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:04 am

So surprised to see Clinton coming in 3rd. New Hampshire is gonna be interesting!
[align=center]Image[/align]

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:48 am

whisper;199702 wrote:Obama won, Edwards 2nd and Clinton 3rd with 99% of the voting results in.

Dang, Clinton lost to BOTH Obama and Ewards? Didn't see that coming. (I am for Edwards)
Yep, I think a LOT of people were surprised by that, particurally poor Bill, who looked like he had just seen a ghost during what I guess could be called Hillary's 'concession' (in terms of Iowa, anyway) speech last night :lol Not that 3rd place is BAD, perse, but when you have a candidate like Hillary, with a MASSIVE (have you seen her website lately??) campaign and organization (not to mention amounts of $), behind her, not to mention her being a household name, it's got to be dissapointing.:unsure: I mean, she could still come back up, but it's going to be a lot harder. I like Hillary, I thought she gave a great speech last night and, like I said before, has a lot of good points, but I do tend to agree with a lot of the pundits that a lot of people out there just see her as too "Washington" and "establishment", at least in comparison to Obama and Edwards (not to mention some of her votes and recent campaign tactics, which I think hurt her). And it was amazing that Edwards got second, considering that he had quite a deal less money and a smaller staff. I think his populist message is really resonating and definitely would not count him out yet, either! :P

But I'm really excited about Obama; he just seems like such a fresh face with so many good ideas and I'd definitely go for him..I'd go for any one of them really. :D To be honest, I'm kind of torn (mainly between him and Edwards) on who to vote for in the primaries...glad I have until Feb. 5! :lol
Looks like Huckabee won for the Republicans in the Caucus
Now, who would've seen THAT coming? :lol I'm glad, though..I think any one of the Dems could beat the hell out of him in the general election; he's even farther right than Bush, EITHER of the times he ran; would be much like having Jerry Falwell for president or something.. I'm seriously moving out of the country if that happens. :cryptic LOL! :8-26-03yuk:

But I think the best part of last night was the HIGH turnout that the Dems got and the amount of Independents and even some Republicans that crossed over to the Democratic side. That says a LOT, I think, about how most or a LOT of Americans want a change of direction, esp. considering that Iowa's not exactly a liberal state to begin with. This should be interesting! :D

Shannon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:30 pm

I am happy that Obama won in Iowa, though it was as surprising as it was expected, if that makes sense, LOL. What I think is interesting that Obama clearly aims for the younger people, to get them involved in the election, which I think is great. He, or his staff I rather say LOL, updates his MySpace and Facebook page many times every week, which is something else than what I can say about the others who never send out bulletins, messages etc. I think that is very positive for his campaign - not to mention having Oprah Winfrey with him to bring him attention and publicity.
[align=center]Image

Thank you, Leah

Michael

...My Fanfiction...

You Are My Life

Saphster

Post by Saphster » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:20 pm

I have no idea who to vote for. I never watch TV and I don't really know what any of these candiates will bring to the table if they become president. Does anyone know a site, or some clips that I can see so I can learn more about them and know who to vote for?:idontknow

OR maybe some of you guys can tell me a little something about who you're picking and why.
OMG ya'll are just gonna ignore my question and comment? Oh hell no!:ohnoyoudidnt

:lol But that is kinda mean....:unsure:

..:(

\\\"My fans are still there. They still love me. They\\\'re alive.\\\" -Michael Jackson.

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:08 am

I was a little pissed at the coverage though. What they yacked about most was Obama's win and Clinton's loss; as if John Edwards didn't exist.

I got no problem with Obama, but to be whining and trying to make excuses as to why the "clinton machine" didn't perform so well is ridiculous. I'm like " She lost. Ok. End of story. Now tell me why the 'cash poor' John Edwards -- the John Edwards some of yall ignored all this time -- came in 2nd?" Ya know?

If he and his wife didn't take the initiative to seek out the media's attention, his beating Clinton may have been a ding-dang footnote on cable television.

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Who saw the New Hampshire debates on Saturday? I only caught a bit of the Republicans, didn't get a chance to see any of the Democrats. Opinions?
[align=center]Image[/align]

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I only watched a little of the Repubican debate, since the candidates had no idea what they were talking about.

I was pleased with the Democratic debate. All the candidates did very well, though Hillary did step out of line a little bit when she started personally attacking Obama. I think the Dems definitely have a chance of winning the General Election.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:37 pm

^^

Hillary was on pre-emptive strike during that debate..LOL! :lol It was like she started in on Obama out of nowhere, with that "you could have a whole conversation with yourself" quip, then that rant about how SHE did everything first..I dunno, the whole undertone of her little monologue just seemed like "dammit, I deserve it"! Not to mention her accusing Obama and, I think, Edwards of giving people "false hope"..like I said, I like and admire Hillary, but I'm honestly starting to question just who is advising her these days and what the hell they are thinking. :blink: I guess it's just all the pressure, esp. after Iowa, that is on her but..I dunno, I just feel that she was doing better before she took this tone. I mean, you don't want to be a marshmellow and just take whatever they throw at you either, but this..this borders on the mudsligning and could end up being divisive.

That said, I really admired how Obama handled it..calm, cool, collected. And it's really impressive how he's appealing not only to Democrats, but to Independents and even some soon to be ex-Republicans as well....which is, let's face it, part of what it takes to win a general election. Yet he has strong, progressive 'liberal' ideals. I'm really starting to lean towards him, but also am really impressed with Edwards..hey, maybe there could be an Obama/Edwards ticket..or vice versa? :P

But I'm going with whichever one of the Dems gets it regardless! :D And tommorow..New Hampshire...should be interesting! :popcorn

Shannon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:34 am

[QUOTE=InspirationMoonwalks;199789]^^

Hillary was on pre-emptive strike during that debate..LOL! :lol It was like she started in on Obama out of nowhere, with that "you could have a whole conversation with yourself" quip, then that rant about how SHE did everything first..I dunno, the whole undertone of her little monologue just seemed like "dammit, I deserve it"! Not to mention her accusing Obama and, I think, Edwards of giving people "false hope"..like I said, I like and admire Hillary, but I'm honestly starting to question just who is advising her these days and what the hell they are thinking. :blink: I guess it's just all the pressure, esp. after Iowa, that is on her but..I dunno, I just feel that she was doing better before she took this tone. I mean, you don't want to be a marshmellow and just take whatever they throw at you either, but this..this borders on the mudsligning and could end up being divisive.

That said, I really admired how Obama handled it..calm, cool, collected. And it's really impressive how he's appealing not only to Democrats, but to Independents and even some soon to be ex-Republicans as well....which is, let's face it, part of what it takes to win a general election. Yet he has strong, progressive 'liberal' ideals. I'm really starting to lean towards him, but also am really impressed with Edwards..hey, maybe there could be an Obama/Edwards ticket..or vice versa? :P

But I'm going with whichever one of the Dems gets it regardless! :D And tommorow..New Hampshire...should be interesting! :popcorn[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

I mean, I didn't watch the debate, I only got to see parts of it on the news, but I was a bit shocked at how Hillary was handling it. I mean, yeah, I know how the media can cut and twist stuff, but wow... Hold your horses there for a minute, woman, LOL. :lol :cryptic But yeah, I really liked and was impressed by how Obama handlet it. He seems really genuine, relaxed, cool and fair in his politics... at least judging from what I have seen. :)

However, with that said, why does the media seem to forget about John Edwards? I think the Norwegian media have mentioned him by two words, and have used plenty of time on the other candidates. :blink: It is really unfair, I think. I hardly ever hear anything about the Republican candidates either... LOL.
[align=center]Image

Thank you, Leah

Michael

...My Fanfiction...

You Are My Life