2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Use this forum to discuss anything other than Michael Jackson. OT discussions from the other forums have been moved to this forum

Moderator: Global Moderator

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:01 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;201262]I think Hillary will take Maine since she won in New Hampshire. But then again...who the hell knows these days!

lmao @ Huckabee girl. Man, I love the internet![/QUOTE]

Nope, Obama took Maine--59% to 41%! I must admit I was a little surprised, though..I thought Hillary would have the advantage there as well. Obama is sweeping the nation! Not to mention the fact that he just won a Grammy as well (for the spoken word version of his book, "The Audacity of Hope"...Hillary won it in '96 for her "It Takes A Village"). Obama's taking over the WORLD! :D LOL! :lol

I heard about Hillary changing managers, something which was a little surprising, but not really I guess, considering the way things have been going..I do feel a little bad for Hillary, though. I really don't think she expected to have this kind of competition or that the race would go on this long (hence the money problems, IMHO at least). And she really IS a great candidate. :( I think the world of her, though I've had issues with aspects of her campaign and I am rooting for Obama. I soo hope they're a ticket somehow! :P

BTW, did anyone else hear that John Edwards is meeting with both Hillary and Barack, presumably to figure out who he will endorse? Should be interesting! :popcorn I miss Edwards! :( I hope he gets in to either one of their tickets/ administrations it ends up being. I really like him!
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

[align=center]proud.to.be.an.american.mj.fan[/align]

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 pm

[QUOTE=InspirationMoonwalks;201296]BTW, did anyone else hear that John Edwards is meeting with both Hillary and Barack, presumably to figure out who he will endorse? Should be interesting! :popcorn I miss Edwards! :( I hope he gets in to either one of their tickets/ administrations it ends up being. I really like him![/QUOTE]

Now this will be interesting. I can almost bet he's leaning towards Obama, though. Him and Barack seemed to have an infinity going during the debates; A us vs. Hilary thing where he seemed to almost resent her. We shall see!
[align=center]Image[/align]

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:44 pm

I thought this was kinda cute:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080212/pl ... obamajapan

OBAMA, Japan (AFP) - Barack Obama, who has been credited with tapping support in unlikely places, is enjoying a groundswell of enthusiasm in a small city in western Japan, which is delighted to share his name.

ADVERTISEMENT

Obama, Japan, is rooting for candidate Obama, hoping that if he becomes the US president he will put this ancient fishing town of 32,000 people firmly on the tourist map and, just maybe, choose it for an international summit.

Supporters in Obama -- which means "small shore" in Japanese -- have held parties to watch election results, put up posters wishing the senator luck and plan a special batch of the town's "manju" sweets bearing his likeness.

"At first we were more low-key as Hillary Clinton looked to be ahead, but now we see he is getting more popular," Obama Mayor Toshio Murakami said.

"I give him an 80 percent chance of becoming president," the 75-year-old said with a proud grin.

Murakami sent a letter last year to Obama, enclosing a set of lacquer chopsticks, a famous product of this town on the Sea of Japan (East Sea) in Fukui prefecture's Wakasa region.

"I will present you the chopsticks of Wakasa paint and I am glad if you use it habitually," Murakami said in the English-language letter. "I wish you the best of health and success."

Murakami noted that Barack Obama's birthday, August 4, happens to be "Chopsticks Day" in the city.

Obama, who is also a hero in his father's native Kenya, has been gaining in a neck-and-neck race with Clinton, in part by winning over voters in states that rarely back members of their Democratic party.

Murakami is now preparing another package for the candidate that will include a good-luck charm from the local Obama Shrine.

"For the first letter I found his address on the Internet, so I don't know if he got it," Murakami said. "But this time I asked the (US) embassy for his exact address, so I'm sure he'll get it."

Lest cynics find the city's efforts naive, it was Obama himself who first drew attention to the connection.

Obama, speaking to Japan's TBS network in December 2006, said that when he flew once to Tokyo, an officer stamping his passport told him of the town.

"He looked up and said, 'I'm from Obama,'" the senator said.

A professor saw the footage and contacted the mayor, who insists that his support for Obama goes beyond just his name.

"It seems to me that President Bush isn't aggressively addressing global warming, but Obama would. And I like how he opposed the Iraq war," he said.

Murakami also hoped a President Obama would sign a peace treaty with North Korea. It is no small issue in Obama, one of the seaside towns where agents from the communist state kidnapped Japanese in the 1970s and 1980s, setting off a long row between the countries.

The election is being closely followed by many in 1,500-year-old Obama, a port nestled by snowy hills that in ancient times supplied food to the emperor when he lived in Kyoto some 75 kilometres (40 miles) to the south.

"When you look in Obama's eyes and hear his voice, he's very impressive," said resident Rieko Tanaka.

"Hillary is a bit old-fashioned and she's the wife of Bill Clinton, so I think a new person should lead the USA," she said.

Tomoyuki Ueda, 40, a company worker dining at a restaurant serving the town's celebrated mackerel, said it would be healthy for the United States to elect its first African-American president.

"I think both Obama and Hillary are qualified, but if Obama becomes president he could correct problems of racial discrimination," he said.

Seiji Fujihara, a head of the local tourism board, said he has only met a black person once, but believed Obama's election would make the United States "more equal" on racial issues.

Fujihara started a club for self-styled Obama supporters in the city and plans "I love Obama" T-shirts.

"We know we can't vote. But if we send out a message, we can help push him to victory," he said.

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:22 am

^^

Aww, what a cool coinsidence! :P

Obama won BIG in the Potomac primaries tonight, winning Virginia (64%-35%), Maryland (60%-37%), AND Washington D.C (75%-24%) and is now ahead in delegates, making him the current frontrunner! :D

On the GOP side, John McCain won all three states, though by somewhat tighter margins, beating out Mike Huckabee, who, with the way the Republicans do their delegate counts (winner take all; Dems share, dividing it by precincts) will pretty much need a miracle in order to catch up, lol..

Read more about it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23123924/

This race just gets more exciting by the moment! :D :popcorn
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 am

Obama's got it going on! I really enjoyed his speech last nite in Wisconsin. CNN aired both his and Hillary's and I have to say..WHAT A DIFFERENCE between the two. Hillary's seemed enthusiastic but it's like she's trying to match Obama's delivery and it just wasn't the same! He's got a very diverse crowd and they're so passionate. I love it.

I'm telling you, Texas will be very interesting. It looks like a debate in Houston won't happen, but that's okay. I think she'll win by virture of the Latino population, but I still expect the results to be close. She really needs to win this state.

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;201570]Obama's got it going on! I really enjoyed his speech last nite in Wisconsin. CNN aired both his and Hillary's and I have to say..WHAT A DIFFERENCE between the two. Hillary's seemed enthusiastic but it's like she's trying to match Obama's delivery and it just wasn't the same! He's got a very diverse crowd and they're so passionate. I love it.

I'm telling you, Texas will be very interesting. It looks like a debate in Houston won't happen, but that's okay. I think she'll win by virture of the Latino population, but I still expect the results to be close. She really needs to win this state.[/QUOTE]

I think they moved it to Austin? CNN's doing it, right? It's a shame that it won't be in your city, but maybe you could go? I wish I could! I'd LOVE to see a debate in person--it's exciting enough as it is on TV! :D Wonder if they'll be all buddy buddy again this next time...or if it will get all testy again? :P

I expect Hillary to at least have a much stronger showing in Texas than in the Potomac primaries, but who the hell knows anymore--this race is soo full of surprises! :lol I heard last night, on both CNN and MSNBC, that she has to win by margins of like 50% or even 60% to catch up to Obama at this point, something that might prove rather hard for her to do as, with the exception of Arkansas and a couple other states, Obama tends to, even when he loses, place a very close second in these races, so she'll have to not only beat him in Texas or Ohio, but do it substantially. :unsure: Man, this is crazy! I mean, I always felt confident in Obama and that he'd have a good chance, but damn...I never expected to see Hillary Rodham freakin' CLINTON in this position before..I feel kinda bad for her actually, as much as I like Obama. :( But may the best contender win! :D

GO OBAMA!!:8-26-03respect:

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Like you, I'm torn because I really do admire both candidates. Both would make excellent choices, it's just her inability to bring people together that's troublesome. She'll take Texas. But not by a landslide.

BTW, I took a drive my the Obama office here in Houston and the place was packed with people wanting to volunteer. How awesome.

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;201699]Like you, I'm torn because I really do admire both candidates. Both would make excellent choices, it's just her inability to bring people together that's troublesome. She'll take Texas. But not by a landslide.

BTW, I took a drive my the Obama office here in Houston and the place was packed with people wanting to volunteer. How awesome.[/QUOTE]

I agree. That was one of the deal breakers for me--how Obama seems to be able to unite people more and bring more people outside the base towards it, all the while still holding to his own truth and principles. I admire that so much about him :) I think both of them would be successful in the GE, but I think he would win BIG, you know? And I'm sorry, but we've got to not only focus on the primaries, but look forward to the November contest and who would fare best in that...because if we don't pull that off, all of this won't even matter..

That's awesome that you got to go to your local Obama HQ--I did some volunteer work at the call center at the one here in Tucson, phonebanking right before the primary...it was a lot of fun. I loved how energized everyone was! :D

:democratic: --just found this smilie....I think I'm going to be using it a LOT in the time to come! :P LOL...

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Hell yes! Aw!

I remember not too long ago, whisper asked us to refrain from 'broadcasting' political affliations, ie in siggies and member titles? Remember? This was back in the day when people were about to go nuclear over Bush's 2nd term. Too much drama, I suppose. I guess with this smilie, it means we're tight!

LOL..I found this stock photo the other day and think it's hiliarious:

:lol I don't even want to say what I think is on his mind!

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:20 pm

That's awesome that you got to go to your local Obama HQ--I did some volunteer work at the call center at the one here in Tucson, phonebanking right before the primary...it was a lot of fun. I loved how energized everyone was!
I meant to comment how cool that was. Volunteerism=cool factor!

I just discovered that Obama is hosting a rally at the Toyota Center (NBA arena) this Tuesday. But lo and behold, tickets are no longer available. Just stand-by admission only, dammit!; It looks like they can't admit any more people! I registered online anyway and I'm going to take a trip w/my sister down there. Who knows, we may still get in.

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;201720]Image

Hell yes! Aw!

I remember not too long ago, whisper asked us to refrain from 'broadcasting' political affliations, ie in siggies and member titles? Remember? This was back in the day when people were about to go nuclear over Bush's 2nd term. Too much drama, I suppose. I guess with this smilie, it means we're tight!

LOL..I found this stock photo the other day and think it's hiliarious:

:lol I don't even want to say what I think is on his mind![/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I remember that! :lol My God, the 2004 elections...it was kind of like the apocolypse. :cryptic :lol I remember the majority of us had supported Kerry/were against Bush and so were freaking out that he got back in and there was, that one guy on here who was a Republican and supported him and that other girl and we all went at it..wonder if that thread's still here anywhere? .

That photo speaks a million words..LOL! :P haha Did you hear about the latest fight between them, Hillary claiming he 'plaigerized' parts of his speeches? She's going at everything she can..it's kinda like SC all over again...:unsure: Oh the drama!

Will be interesting to see what happens in the primaries: Wisconsin, Hawaii, and Washington State (I guess they're having a primary, too? I know they had a caucus already...confusing :confused: ) tommorow night! :popcorn

Oh and you should definitely try and go to that rally..who knows, you might be able to get in! I hope you do...GOOD LUCK!! :8-26-03respect: :8-26-03fruits_apple

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 am

[QUOTE=InspirationMoonwalks;201800] Did you hear about the latest fight between them, Hillary claiming he 'plaigerized' parts of his speeches? She's going at everything she can..it's kinda like SC all over again...:unsure: Oh the drama!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard about that. And the first thing that came to mind was "wtf", next to "c'mon now". When you think of the thousands of speeches that people make (Yes you too, Hillary!) you can't say for a fact that every word is yours. She is not one to be so high and mighty over the man that she can look him in the eye and say that she's never fed off of another man's (or woman's) words w/out mentioning the originator. She knows good and well that's not plagarism, that's just a fact of life!

If I were Obama, I wouldn't have apologized. But look at the position he's in. Everything is magnified and one little misstep can cost him. This race is too close to call and the only thing I see is her becoming desperate. She realizes the mobilization and the enthusiasm he receives when people flock to hear him speak. So she's trying to discredit is greatest strength.

BTW, what's ironic is her "talk is cheap" motto she busted out with. If talk was so cheap, Hillary then why are you so worried about what Obama has to say!:lol

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;201804]Yeah, I heard about that. And the first thing that came to mind was "wtf", next to "c'mon now". When you think of the thousands of speeches that people make (Yes you too, Hillary!) you can't say for a fact that every word is yours. She is not one to be so high and mighty over the man that she can look him in the eye and say that she's never fed off of another man's (or woman's) words w/out mentioning the originator. She knows good and well that's not plagarism, that's just a fact of life!

If I were Obama, I wouldn't have apologized. But look at the position he's in. Everything is magnified and one little misstep can cost him. This race is too close to call and the only thing I see is her becoming desperate. She realizes the mobilization and the enthusiasm he receives when people flock to hear him speak. So she's trying to discredit is greatest strength.

BTW, what's ironic is her "talk is cheap" motto she busted out with. If talk was so cheap, Hillary then why are you so worried about what Obama has to say!:lol[/QUOTE]

Totally! You know, as much as I like and respect Hillary, she's honestly kind of getting on my nerves right now..it's soo obvious that she realizes she's in hot water politically and so is trying to do whatever she can to knock Barack down. Her team tried being nice, it didn't work, so they're going back to the mudslinging like in SC...which didn't work either. She's in a corner now and she knows it. And I understand her frustration. But stuff like this is like out of a page right out of the Karl Rove play book...and it's not cool. :unsure: Especially when Hillary's used some of Obama's kind of words herself! :lol :

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight! :popcorn

Oh and is that rally today? I hope you are able to go and get in..GOOD LUCK!!! :8-26-03respect:

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=InspirationMoonwalks;201806]Totally! You know, as much as I like and respect Hillary, she's honestly kind of getting on my nerves right now..it's soo obvious that she realizes she's in hot water politically and so is trying to do whatever she can to knock Barack down. Her team tried being nice, it didn't work, so they're going back to the mudslinging like in SC...which didn't work either. She's in a corner now and she knows it. And I understand her frustration. But stuff like this is like out of a page right out of the Karl Rove play book...and it's not cool. :unsure: Especially when Hillary's used some of Obama's kind of words herself! :lol :

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight! :popcorn

Oh and is that rally today? I hope you are able to go and get in..GOOD LUCK!!! :8-26-03respect:[/QUOTE]

Damn I wish I could view youtube at work, but it comes up blank! lol @ Hillary getting on your nerves. I hate feeling this way, but dammit, she's showing her true colors and it's disturbing to me how she wants to have her cake and eat it too! It's coming off really 'elite' to me!

About the rally, I've got my 'standby' ticket with me, I'll head down there right after work and try my luck! The Toyota Center already announced that they'll bring out the big screens and place them outside for the 'overflow'. And get this. Some selfish IDIOT has tickets (which were available for FREE--> F.R.E.E.) but he decided to take it upon himself and attempt to sell them for 100 bucks.

And whoever decides to shell over money for them are even BIGGER idiots!

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:13 pm

I hate feeling this way, but dammit, she's showing her true colors and it's disturbing to me how she wants to have her cake and eat it too! It's coming off really 'elite' to me!
Hate to say it, but right now, I tend to agree..:unsure: It just seems like she's willing to literally say or do whatever it she feels it could take to undermine him and put herself back on top, no matter how divisive it may prove to be. It's like her winning is the most important thing, no matter what happens within the party or the representation of the policies as a potential result of all the mudsligning, you know? She definitely didn't see this coming and isn't handling it real well, that's for sure! It will be so interesting to see what happens at the debate tommorow night! :popcorn

As for the primaries last night in Wisconsin and Hawaii, well, Obama ending up taking those as well! :D Wisconsin was 58% for him, 41% for her and Hawaii was 76% for him, 24% for her. Hawaii wasn't real surprising, considering that's where he's originally from, lol..but Wisconsin was kind of an upset; like Texas, it had been projected to go in Hillary's favor. So anything can happen in this crazy race..LOL! :lol

I hope you were able to get in to the rally--let us know how it went when you get the chance! :8-26-03fruits_apple