2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Use this forum to discuss anything other than Michael Jackson. OT discussions from the other forums have been moved to this forum

Moderator: Global Moderator

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Post by danaluvsmj » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:45 pm

John McCain has won the Rep primary in SC

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 am

I must say, last night was quite a surprise...though I wasn't too terribly shocked about Hillary, as the polls had been predicting a lead for her in Nevada in the days before the caucus (though, as crazy up and down as this election has proven to been, they should be taken with a grain of salt, lol)--although I had thought Obama would win, with all the endorsements he got there and all. But the Republicans....now THAT was surprising, particurally in SC. Maybe I'm just generalizing too much, but I would've thought Huckabee would've had that one in the bag, with the large ultra conservative and evangelical base there. So hearing that McCain won that one was quite surprising, I must say! Could he actually be pulling it off this time? :unsure: But this race is so up and down on both sides that I've given up predicting for the most part, lol....it's still pretty much anyone's race at this point! Well, among the 'front runners' anyway...can't wait to see what happens from here and to vote, on the 5th (as is the date here in AZ)! :popcorn

Tommorow night is another Democratic debate, on CNN, I think, from SC. Should be interesting! :P
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

[align=center]proud.to.be.an.american.mj.fan[/align]

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 pm

So did anyone catch the debate tonight? Whoa, that was pretty intense..a real knock down, drag out FIGHT, particurally between Obama and Hillary, with John Edwards joining in, surprisingly seeming to back up Hillary more than Obama on a lot of points. It got pretty ugly..."I forget who I'm running against sometimes [Bill or Hillary]", was what Obama said when the recent quotes of Bill's criticizing him, were brought up..ohhh:cryptic :lol I hope Youtube puts it up soon..I'll definitely post it if any of you want! :8-26-03fruits_apple
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

FriendinMoscow

Post by FriendinMoscow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Yeah that debate was insane. I'm paraphrasing here, but, paraphrased from what I remember:
Obama: I was fighting for these people while you were sitting on the corporate board of Wal-Mart!
Hillary: I was fighting for these things while you were defending a slumlord!

Wow.Some serious verbal boxing was going on. I was on the edge of my seat!

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:07 am

[QUOTE=FriendinMoscow;200371]Yeah that debate was insane. I'm paraphrasing here, but, paraphrased from what I remember:
Obama: I was fighting for these people while you were sitting on the corporate board of Wal-Mart!
Hillary: I was fighting for these things while you were defending a slumlord!

Wow.Some serious verbal boxing was going on. I was on the edge of my seat![/QUOTE]

"I was fighting for these things while you were at your law firm, defending that slum land lord in Chicago!" I was like..Whoa! :lol And what was so funny was that it calmed down for awhile, but kept going back to that again and again...almost every single thing Obama said, Hillary jumped on..and then Edwards joined in..it was pretty much 2 against one! Poor Wolf Blitzer lost control of the situation within the first probably 10 minutes of the debate and never did get it back! :cryptic :lol It made the NH debate look like a friendly chat over coffee! haha.

It honestly reminded me a bit of Rosie and Elizabeth on the View! :rollin And whoever said politics wasn't interesting? :P :popcorn

FriendinMoscow

Post by FriendinMoscow » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:21 am

Rosie and Elizabeth! That's hilarious. Yeah, I guess we haven't seen a real life argument so heated since Rosie and Elizabeth on The View! It is all SO interesting although, I have to say, the Republicans aren't really interesting to me at all. But these Democratic candidates are so historic. When Hillary said, later in the debate, when it was calmer and they were sitting in chairs, that Martin Luther King would be proud to look at that stage of presidental candidates including a woman, a black man, and a "son of the south," I actually got chills. But the Republicans are so status quo...what are they even passionate enough to get all heated over? Hating gay people? Oh, wait, they all agree on that.

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:22 am

Anyone who didn't see the debate can see the exchange Evalie and I are talking about here--some high quality drama, indeed! :P :

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42 am

[QUOTE=FriendinMoscow;200374]Rosie and Elizabeth! That's hilarious. Yeah, I guess we haven't seen a real life argument so heated since Rosie and Elizabeth on The View! It is all SO interesting although, I have to say, the Republicans aren't really interesting to me at all. But these Democratic candidates are so historic. When Hillary said, later in the debate, when it was calmer and they were sitting in chairs, that Martin Luther King would be proud to look at that stage of presidental candidates including a woman, a black man, and a "son of the south," I actually got chills. But the Republicans are so status quo...what are they even passionate enough to get all heated over? Hating gay people? Oh, wait, they all agree on that.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know! I remember during the New Hampshire debates on ABC, when they had the Republicans on first, it was all I could do not to fall asleep trying to sit through it...the only real interesting things that happen in their debates is when they get into squabbles, but they don't even do THAT in as interesting of a fashion as the Dems! LOL! :lol :P They are so boring and predictable. Electing one of them (with the possible exception of Ron Paul, but even he, other than his antiwar stance, leans to the far right, especially with wanting to actually dismantle the Department of Education, a stance which makes even Bush and his "No Child Left Behind" crap look tame! :unsure: lol) would pretty much be this country's sentence to four MORE years of Bush....*shudders* :cryptic

I loved what Hillary said as well--one of the better (in more positive terms, at least) moments of the night! And it's SO true. :) We have an awesome field of candidates, any one of whom would be SUCH a breath of fresh air after Bush! I just hope we as Democrats, and people of like mind, can stay focused and united, past all the personality politics and stay focused on the goal..because this election is far too important NOT to win!

Can't wait to vote on Super Tuesday ! :P

Shannon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:28 am

I saw snippets of the debate on the news, and although it was just a matter of a few minutes, I am getting more and more impressed by Hillary. She is the next president of the United States, I am willing to bet on that.
[align=center]Image

Thank you, Leah

Thank you for everything,

Michael

...My Fanfiction...

You Are My Life

...My Website dedicated to Michael...

http://www.thesilencedtruth.com[/align]

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:13 pm

The SC debate I think is the best one that I've watched so far. All the candidates did an amazing job. Forget the Reps, they bore me so much with their nonsense talk.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Democrat Kucinich quits White House race By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer
37 minutes ago

CLEVELAND - Democrat Dennis Kucinich is abandoning his second, long-shot bid for the White House as he faces a tough fight to hold onto his other job – U.S. congressman.

ADVERTISEMENT

In an interview with Cleveland's Plain Dealer, the six-term House member said he was quitting the race and would make a formal announcement on Friday.

"I will be announcing that I'm transitioning out of the presidential campaign," Kucinich said. "I'm making that announcement tomorrow about a new direction."

Kucinich has received little support in his presidential bid; he got 1 percent of the vote in the New Hampshire primary and was shut out in the Iowa caucuses. He did have a devoted following.

Kucinich, 61, is facing four challengers in the Democratic congressional primary March 4, and earlier this week he made an urgent appeal on his Web site for funds for his re-election. Rival Joe Cimperman has been critical of Kucinich for focusing too much time outside of his district while campaigning for president.

His decision comes a month after the death of his youngest brother, Perry Kucinich.

Kucinich said he will not endorse another Democrat in the primary.

Kucinich brought the same sense of idealism to his second run for president as he did in his first bid. He said he was entering the race again because the Democratic Party wasn't pushing hard enough to end the Iraq war.

Once dubbed the "boy mayor" of Cleveland, he made an unpopular decision to refuse to sell a publicly owned utility that pushed the city into default and drove him from office.

After the city's financial troubles, the mayor faced death threats, and was forced to wear a bulletproof vest when he threw out the first ball at a Cleveland Indians game. He barely survived a recall vote.

But he lost his bid for re-election as mayor of Cleveland in 1978 to Republican George Voinovich, who went on to become governor and then U.S. senator. His life and his political career were derailed. Kucinich spent more than a decade trying to get back into politics – traveling around the country and then working as a teacher, consultant and television news reporter.

In 1994, Kucinich was elected state senator and he then won a seat in Congress in 1996. His once unpopular stand against the sale of the municipal electric system was praised as courageous. In 1998, the Cleveland City Council issued him a commendation for having the foresight to refuse to sell it.

During his time in Congress, Kucinich has been one of the most outspoken liberals, opposing international trade agreements like the North America Free Trade Agreement and marching with protesters in Seattle during a meeting of the World Trade Organization.

As a presidential candidate, he has proposed a Department of Peace, backed universal health care and supported gay marriage. He also pushed for impeachment of Vice President **** Cheney.

At a debate last October, Kucinich delivered one of the night's lighter moments when he confirmed seeing an unidentified flying object at the Washington state home of actress Shirley MacLaine. With a smile, he said he would open a campaign office in Roswell, N.M., home to many alleged UFO sightings.

Kucinich married British citizen Elizabeth Harper, in 2005, ensuring his 2008 campaign would have one dramatic difference from his first campaign. Kucinich told New Hampshire audiences during the 2004 race that he was seeking a mate. Women then vied for a date with him during a contest arranged by a New Hampshire political Web site, but nothing romantic evolved from Kucinich's breakfast with the winner.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_ ... _withdraws

This is sad, because he really was a good candidate in a lot of respects and I agree 100% with him on SO many of his views...he just couldn't seem to raise the funds and get the organization behind him like the others, I guess. :( (one of the things that, IMHO at least, sucks about politics here in the US, but anyway..) But I'm sure he will continue to do amazing things in Congress, esp. in regards to fighting against this assinine, never ending war in Iraq and the fight for universal health care.

But in a more selfish sense, this makes my primary vote decision that much easier..;) lol.

As a presidential candidate, he has proposed a Department of Peace, backed universal health care and supported gay marriage. He also pushed for impeachment of Vice President **** Cheney.

Love how his name always gets censored by this thing...LOL! :lol

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Aww, I really liked Kucinich. It's a shame he never really had a chance because he's not one of the bigger candidates.

I just hope John Edwards isn't next.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:45 pm

[QUOTE=Shannon;200387]I saw snippets of the debate on the news, and although it was just a matter of a few minutes, I am getting more and more impressed by Hillary. She is the next president of the United States, I am willing to bet on that.[/QUOTE]

As much as I respected her before, she's not immune to being criticized and she's gotten a lot of it. Certaintly, a lot of points have been overblown and talked to death. Some things though, deserve due attention. Lately, I've gotten a little peeved at all the finger pointing and talking down. I hate all the ugliness. Both her and Obama need to take a deep breath and decide whether or not their campaign strategies need to be re-thought because clearly it's becoming about all the wrong issues right now.

Not only that....

Bill Clinton need to quietly fade into the background! :lol Just disappear! I love the man as President, but as endorser? Hell no! This race is about her vs the field, not The Clintons vs. Everyone Else. Hillary needs to make up her mind if she wants to be independant from Bill's legacy or not!
[align=center]Image[/align]

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:00 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;200483]he finger pointing and talking down. I hate all the ugliness. Both her and Obama need to take a deep breath and decide whether or not their campaign strategies need to be re-thought because clearly it's becoming about all the wrong issues right now.

Not only that....

Bill Clinton need to quietly fade into the background! :lol Just disappear! I love the man as President, but as endorser? Hell no! This race is about her vs the field, not The Clintons vs. Everyone Else. Hillary needs to make up her mind if she wants to be independant from Bill's legacy or not![/QUOTE]

Ain't that the damn truth? :lol I honestly felt kind of sorry for Obama at that last debate..it really seemed like no matter what the man said, both Hillary and, eventually, Edwards jumped all over--it was like whatever inch they could take, they both took a mile! LOL! But I admired how he held his own and throughout all these "personality politics" he has mostly remained solid and stood his ground. And I admire that. Because Lord knows, in the general election coming up, whoever we nominate as Dems is going to have all kinds of crap thrown at them by the Republicans, whom we all know aren't going to give THIS one up without a fight, as it is basically their last stand. So whoever is the nominee better be ready to face it--which I'm sure that Hillary is, too, she has, after all, taken it for over 15 years but still we, as a party, have got to remain united and I so all this divisive bickering going on right now kinda worries me. :unsure: Not that some of the issuses raised during that debate weren't valid..many most certainly were..it's just the way it's being handled. I think it was some pundit on MSNBC earlier today who said that Hillary, Obama, and Edwards were pretty much equal candidates on so many of the issues (though they certainly have different, straetigical ideas on how to go about some of them)...it's the personalities that are coming into play and I tend to agree, as this is mostly what it has seemed to have been about, throughout all the bickering. Not that it could or should ever be a lovefest between them, lol, there has to be SOME debate...but again, I just hope that, at the end of the day, we can all unite behind whoever wins and focus more on the ISSUES as opposed to the personalities...because that is what it's going to take to win this election and, quite frankly, America can't stand for us NOT to! (IMHO, of course..)

And you all know that I love the hell out of Bill, LOL, but he really could stand to simmer down so....a LOT! :lol I like Hillary, but neither she nor ANYONE else is entitled to this nomination (don't know if that's what they are MEANING to get across, but it kinda feels like it sometimes..:unsure: ); let the best person win! :P

Should be interesting to see what happens tonight in SC! :popcorn

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:09 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Both MSNBC and CNN are calling South Carolina for Obama! :D By a pretty substantial margin it must've been considering that they've called the race in like 10 minutes! lol. Stay tuned...