2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Use this forum to discuss anything other than Michael Jackson. OT discussions from the other forums have been moved to this forum

Moderator: Global Moderator

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2008 U.S Presidential Elections: The Primaries -Hillary concedes&fully endorses Obama

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Obama overwhelms Clinton in South Carolina

Barack Obama won a landslide victory in South Carolina last night, gaining valuable momentum ahead of the Democrats' multi-state contest on February 5.
With all results in, Obama took more than twice as many votes as Hillary Clinton, winning 55% of the vote against her 27%. The win - which far exceeded expectations - was the first time any candidate has won more than 50% of the vote in any of the four primary contests.

John Edwards came in a distant third in his home state, on 18%, frustrating his hopes of making a comeback ahead of Super Tuesday.
At a raucous victory party in Columbia, Obama told supporters that the results proved his first victory in Iowa was no fluke.

"Tonight the cynics who believe that what began in the snows of Iowa was just an illusion were told a different story by the good people of South Carolina," he said. "We have the most votes, the most delegates, and the most diverse coalition of Americans we've seen in a long, long time."

Obama's candidacy received an additional validation with an endorsement from Caroline Kennedy, the only surviving child of the late John F Kennedy.

"Over the years, I've been deeply moved by the people who've told me they wished they could feel inspired and hopeful about America the way people did when my father was president," she wrote in an opinion piece for Sunday's New York Times. "This sense is even more profound today. That is why I am supporting ... Barack Obama."

But despite the jubilant crowds at his victory party, Obama was still visibly angry over his battering by Bill and Hillary Clinton in a negative and divisive campaign that sought to marginalise him as an African-American candidate.

The crowd chanted "Race doesn't matter". But race did play a part. Obama took 78% of the African-American vote but did poorly among white voters, except for those below the age of 24.

The negative campaign also backfired against the Clintons by alienating African American women. They supported Obama.

Even so, Clinton, though a distant loser, attracted a wider coalition than Obama. "It's wonderful to have such a broad cross-section of people across this state," she told supporters in Nashville.

Adopting an upbeat manner, she looked ahead to the Super Tuesday contests and tried to shrug off the negative and divisive campaign she left behind.

Her husband, who was an equal partner in the negative campaigning against Obama, sounded a more combative note.

"He won fair and square," Bill Clinton told a rally in Independence, Missouri. "Now we go to February 5 when millions of Americans finally get into the act."

Edwards, despite his distance third place showing - and a near total rejection by African-American voters - vowed to fight on. "Now the three of us move on to February 5," he said. However, it seems even less likely now that his cash-strapped campaign can make an impact on the more than 20 different battleground states

While Clinton remains the favourite to come out on top on February 5, when 22 states are up for grabs, the win in South Carolina could help Obama narrow the poll gap. He now goes into contests in Georgia and Alabama with a demonstrated advantage.

Obama is not the first African-American candidate to do well in South Carolina. Jesse Jackson secured an equally convincing victory in the 1988 Democratic primary, taking 54% to Al Gore's 19%, but failed to win the nomination.

However, Clinton remains weakened by her failure to win over African American women. She also performed poorly among white male voters.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08 ... 89,00.html

I think that SC debate and all the personal politics going on before this latest primary actually ended up HELPING Obama rather than harming him, IMO at least. I really think he could end up going all the way and feel increasinly enthusiastic and excited about him as a candidate! :D I think he just might have what it takes to unite people and win big in the general election, but time will tell!

Poor Edwards though..that was his home state! :( Ah well....we shall see what happens on Super Tuesday! :P :popcorn
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

[align=center]proud.to.be.an.american.mj.fan[/align]

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Obama victory speech:

Obama: ‘Ready to believe again’
[align=center]\\\"It's all for love. L.O.V.E\\\" ♥--Michael Jackson [/align] [align=center]We miss you... [/align]

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:24 am

thanks so much for posting that speech, Tara. I love your enthusiasm when it comes to politics, you're always my go to source when I need to catch up! :D :D

Poor Edwards, indeed! I'm really feeling for him! But I think he'll be an extremely influential player when it comes down to it. My gut tells me he'll endorse Obama.
[align=center]Image[/align]

FriendinMoscow

Post by FriendinMoscow » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, I have to admit that I'm feeling torn. I've been a big Hillary fan since 1992, and I wish that she could have run for president earlier. I tend to be an extremely loyal person, and there is a lot about Hillary to admire, and I know she would do a great job.

At the same time, Barack is really speaking to my heart right now. And I have no doubt that he woud do a great job as well as President. After these nearly 8 years of Bush's fearmongering it's so inspiring to see someone (Barack Obama) uniting such diverse groups of people through principles of hope and unity. After Bush/Cheney and all the fear they pushed, we so need Obama! I really hope that Hillary and Barack can somehow work as a team. I think they have very complementary strengths and would make an excellent ticket together- so historical!

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:57 pm

[QUOTE=HeavenSent;200523]thanks so much for posting that speech, Tara. I love your enthusiasm when it comes to politics, you're always my go to source when I need to catch up! :D :D

Poor Edwards, indeed! I'm really feeling for him! But I think he'll be an extremely influential player when it comes down to it. My gut tells me he'll endorse Obama.[/QUOTE]

Aww, it's np! :cool: I just love conversing with people who are as interested in it as I am and give such great feedback and insight like you guys do! :8-26-03fruits_apple

And I agree, Evalie. :) As you know, I've always really liked and admired Hillary and do not doubt for a second that her presidency would be a dramatic improvement over the Bush administration...she has soo many great ideas! But I just kind of feel that it might end up being Obama's moment; I could be wrong, but I'm starting to get the impression that he may have a slightly easier time uniting different groups of people than Hillary would (in light of her long history and presence in Washington and the political world). There just seems to be more baggage attatched to her name than Obama, however unfairly. There just seems to be more of a "love/hate" thing on either side with her, which dramatically helps a lot in some areas in primaries..but may prove more risky in a general election, you know? Although I still think she could win over most any one of the Republicans..but I think Obama might have an easier time. I think there's just this whole "Change vs. Washington" thing going on right now, that's kind of polarizing the base on either side. I just hope that when the time comes, we can all get together and behind the candidate! And I would be so excited to see an Obama/ Clinton, Clinton/Obama ticket...just as long as they could keep from clawing each other's eyes out long enough to get through it! LOL! :lol They both have a similar vision at the end of the day though, same with Edwards, just different ideas on how to go about it. I wouldn't mind seeing an Obama/Edwards ticket either...I hope he at least ends up with SOMETHING! He deserves it!

That said, I really am leaning towards Obama right now and will probably cast my primary vote towards him. :)

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:39 pm

[QUOTE=InspirationMoonwalks;200541]I wouldn't mind seeing an Obama/Edwards ticket either...I hope he at least ends up with SOMETHING! He deserves it!

[/QUOTE]

I'll say it again, I'm feeling for him! Everytime they report him coming in 3rd, I think "aw damn, must they keep saying that?!"

I'm pulling for Obama as well, but I would LOVE it more for it to be an Obama/Edwards ticket more so than a Clinton's.

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:43 pm

I think I'm starting to lean towards Obama also, as bad as I feel for John Edwards. I just feel Obama has a good chance, though I do like Hillary. I think Obama is fresh and has great ideas.

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:15 pm

If anybody is writing John Edwards off they should check out the breakdown of white voters in the state:

(Source: Washington Post)

For him to stand a chance in the general election though, Obama has got to increase his appeal among other white voters besides the young, college educated, well-to-do crowd.

-Most white people who voted (40%) voted for Edwards.
-Most white people ages 30-44 and 45-64 voted for Edwards.
-Most white men (45%) voted for Edwards.
-Most white people (41%) who make under $50K a year voted for Edwards.
-Most white people (44%) who make between $50K and $100K voted for Edwards.
-Most non-college educated white people (46%) voted for Edwards.
-Most white college graduates (35%) voted for Edwards.

All of his numbers are going up.

What Obama did was to get the turnout up for his supporters, plus new people coming into the system added to black folk.

FriendinMoscow

Post by FriendinMoscow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Well, I had a cool night last night. I had just posted in here that, though I've been a big Hillary fan since 92, I was feeling really inspired by Obama. Well, not long after I posted that, last night, my friend Valerie asked me what kindof camera did I shoot Defending Neverland (my soon forthcoming doc about Michael's trial) on and if I could maybe help her make her documentry on grassroots support for Barack Obama this election. Recently, this week she shot a "Latinos for Obama" rally somewhere here in L.A., and, on Saturday, she wants to me to with her to, and maybe film, some sort of Obama rally that is taking place in South Central. I'm still not sure which one of the three wonderful democratic candidates I'm voting for, but I'm so excited about being involved in this project!

danaluvsmj
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danaluvsmj » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Wow, that's wonderful news, Evalie! That's awesome that you get to film an Obama rally. I'm sure you'll do a great job. I can't wait to hear your take on it:D

1958-2009

Gone Too Soon

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 pm

[QUOTE=FriendinMoscow;200571]Well, I had a cool night last night. I had just posted in here that, though I've been a big Hillary fan since 92, I was feeling really inspired by Obama. Well, not long after I posted that, last night, my friend Valerie asked me what kindof camera did I shoot Defending Neverland (my soon forthcoming doc about Michael's trial) on and if I could maybe help her make her documentry on grassroots support for Barack Obama this election. Recently, this week she shot a "Latinos for Obama" rally somewhere here in L.A., and, on Saturday, she wants to me to with her to, and maybe film, some sort of Obama rally that is taking place in South Central. I'm still not sure which one of the three wonderful democratic candidates I'm voting for, but I'm so excited about being involved in this project![/QUOTE]

Oh, that's awesome! You'll have to tell us all about it! :D

There's a huge Students for Barack Obama movement going on here at the U of A that I'm planning on doing some volunteer work for AND just might get the opportunity to attend one of his speeches in either Phoenix or (hopefully!) here in Tucson, real soon! I'll keep you all posted! :P And hey, maybe I could give you guys an interview about it or something if it all goes well, Evalie? :8-26-03fruits_apple hehe

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:49 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/ ... 6412.shtml

Ted Kennedy Embraces Obama
By Mike Allen

Jan 27, 2008

(The Politico) Rejecting a personal entreaty from President Bill Clinton, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) plans to endorse Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for president in a joint appearance on Monday, Democratic sources said.

The embrace provides a dramatic rocket for Obama to ride into the frantic, nationwide campaigning ahead of the space of huge Super Tuesday primaries on Feb. 5, the biggest day for nominating contests in U.S. history.

The announcement stunned Senate colleagues, who had expected Kennedy to remain neutral until the increasingly vitriolic nominating contest with Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) settled out.

“This is the biggest Democratic endorsement Obama could possibly get short of Bill Clinton,” said a high-level Democrat.

The Clinton campaign launched a last-ditch effort over the few days to stop Kennedy's move, orchestrating a flood of phone calls to Kennedy from sources ranging from union chiefs to his Massachusetts constituents.

The former president also called Kennedy in a vain attempt to keep him out of the race, a source familiar with the conversation said.

During his two terms in the White House, President Clinton made repeated overtures to the Kennedy family. So the senator’s rejection of his wife is at least as embarrassing as her 28-point loss in the South Carolina primary on Saturday.

Kennedy is to appear with Obama at “Stand for Change” rally the campaign is holding at American University in Washington, D.C., at lunchtime on Monday, the sources said.

Word of Kennedy’s planned endorsement leaked the same day that his niece, Caroline Kennedy, endorsed Obama with a New York Times Op-Ed headlined, “A President Like My Father: Obama will inspire a new generation of Americans.”

The Kennedy endorsement is likely to give Obama a lift among Hispanic voters because of Kennedy's passionate advocacy of immigration legislation. The Obama campaign, which lags far behind Clinton among Hispanic voters in national polls, is likely to prominently display the endorsements by both Kennedys in Latino communities.

The disclosure also comes the same weekend that the House's highest-ranking Latino, California Rep. Xavier Becerra, also announced that he is backing Obama.

Obama was coy about the upcoming endorsement when ABC’s George Stephanopoulos asked him about it on “This Week.”

“I'll let Ted Kennedy speak for himself,” Obama said. “And nobody does it better. But obviously, any of the Democratic candidates would love to have Ted Kennedy's support. And we have certainly actively sought it.”

The Republican National Committee piled on, issuing a statement saying: “Senator Kennedy’s rejection of his friend and colleague is a stunning blow to Clinton’s campaign.”

Ouch for Hillary..:unsure: lol That's gotta hurt, though probably not as much as John Kerry endorsing Obama must've been for Edwards...ahh, the fickle world of American politics! :P

Oh and check out Obama's response to Bush's state of the Union tonight. Dude is on a ROLL! :D:

InspirationMoonwalks
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InspirationMoonwalks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 pm

So I'm definitely going to go to the rally Obama is giving in Phoenix tommorow with the group from my school! :D I'll let you all know how it goes! :8-26-03fruits_apple

FriendinMoscow

Post by FriendinMoscow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:30 pm

[QUOTE=InspirationMoonwalks;200585]So I'm definitely going to go to the rally Obama is giving in Phoenix tommorow with the group from my school! :D I'll let you all know how it goes! :8-26-03fruits_apple[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to hear about it! Wow, we're all going to rallies!:) I emailed Val what you said about the sutdents for Barack Obama movement, so who knows?

Love,
Ev

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:15 pm

Wow, for so many young people to be THIS excited about politics again, this is awesome. So exciting, I wish I was going to a rally too, dammit!