Abrams Report: Stepfather Asks for money + Comments from sorry-ass Stacy Brown

Important Statements from the Jackson camp and pertinent transcripts from various TV shows about Michael.

Moderator: Global Moderator

whisper
Administrator
Administrator

Post by whisper » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:17 pm

'The Abrams Report' for August 20

Read the transcript to Friday's showUpdated: 10:23 a.m. ET Aug. 23, 2004Guests: Brad Saltzman, Catherine Crier, Jayne Weintraub, Stacy Brown, Norm Early, Kathleen Van Kampen, Timothy Carter

ABRAMS: Coming up, the accuser‘s stepfather in the Michael Jackson case testifies that Jackson associates offered cash; the accuser would go on camera to say nice things about Jackson. Which way does it cut?

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

ABRAMS: We‘re back. This week, Michael Jackson‘s attorneys have been trying to limit the evidence prosecutors will be able to use once his trial begins in January. On Monday, we saw Jackson‘s attorney square off against the D.A., Tom Sneddon, about whether the D.A. went too far in his pursuit of Jackson during the investigation. And yesterday the stepfather of the boy who claims Jackson molested him took the stand and addressed a big issue–money.

NBC‘s Mike Taibbi reports.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

MIKE TAIBBI, NBC NEWS CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): From the time he was charged last January, Michael Jackson and his representatives have insisted that the sexual molestation allegations against him are a shakedown by his teenage accuser‘s family.

(on camera): Thursday for the first time in open court and in surprising under-oath testimony the subject of money came up.

(voice-over): The stepfather of the accuser testified in a pretrial hearing that after the broadcast of a British documentary showing Jackson with his accuser, he said to a Jackson associate seeking the family‘s cooperation in a positive rebuttal video, this family has nothing and you‘re making millions off this. What are you going to do for this little family?

He says that Jackson associate had offered college tuition for the children and a new home. He also testified that before the documentary aired in America, two British journalists offered to pay for the family‘s story. Alec Byrne told NBC News exclusively he was one of those journalists and that it was the stepfather who broached the subject of money.

ALEC BYRNE, JOURNALIST: The starting figure was $500 for myself, and that‘s supposedly when he consulted with the mother.

TAIBBI: And it ended up at what?

BYRNE: And it ended up at $15,000.

TAIBBI: For an interview that never took place.

Mike Taibbi, NBC News, Los Angeles.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

ABRAMS: Today on the stand the property manager of the Neverland Ranch. He told attorneys he initially worked with police when they raided the ranch last November, but claims they insisted on searching certain areas of the home not listed on the warrant.

The question–which side does this help? “My Take”–while this is a prosecution witness and it is significant that Jackson associates are offering to pay tuition and a new home, it also helps that this was a family looking for a payout. And that‘s what the defense has said since day one. So what if they wanted money and Jackson was ready to pay it? Which way does that cut?

Joining me now Court TV‘s Catherine Crier, host of “CRIER LIVE” and criminal defense attorney Jayne Weintraub.

Catherine, which way does it cut?

CATHERINE CRIER, COURT TV: Well I think both ways, hush money versus extortion and it‘s going to be portrayed both ways. But you can always argue as a prosecution that this guy was already offering a house, all the goods for the family, and in fact that wasn‘t enough because they didn‘t really want to settle for money. They wanted justice.

ABRAMS: And Jayne, as a legal matter in this particular case, let‘s assume for a moment this is a family that wanted money and they were trying to get money from Michael Jackson. Can‘t someone say well if they really wanted money, why wouldn‘t they have just filed a civil suit against him?

JAYNE WEINTRAUB, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Yes they could have. But I think the real issue here, Dan–there are two issues. One is, you know was the search warrant–was the search exceeded? In other words, did they go much further than they were supposed to? What was Sneddon doing there, being on surveillance to begin with? Why has Sneddon injected himself, the district attorney...

(CROSSTALK)

WEINTRAUB: ... himself, injected himself...

ABRAMS: Those are separate issues.

WEINTRAUB: ... as a witness?

ABRAMS: I want to focus on the money issue.

WEINTRAUB: The money issue is obvious. It‘s no longer an argument. Now we have testimony, we have an admission, and it is the motive, generating and propelling this prosecution.

ABRAMS: What about the fact that Jackson‘s team was ready to pay out?

WEINTRAUB: I don‘t know that Jackson‘s team made that admission, and I don‘t know that Jackson‘s team was ready to pay out, because they would have paid out and they didn‘t.

ABRAMS: But Catherine, haven‘t–Michael Jackson has paid out in the past. I mean...

CRIER: Well, absolutely. We know about the $25-million deal in 1993 and we also know, having read the transcripts, that they settled for money so that the child wouldn‘t be embarrassed among other things, but no one now, at least in the prosecution camp, in the civil attorney‘s camp for the plaintiff, will argue that a molestation took place. So just because you get a payout doesn‘t mean criminal actions didn‘t occur.

ABRAMS: Catherine, let me come back to the issue that Jayne just brought up a minute ago. Is Tom Sneddon, the D.A., you think going to be the D.A. who ends up moving forward in this case? There are all these questions about what was he doing on surveillance and has he had this vendetta against Jackson, et cetera. Is your prediction that he will end up prosecuting this case?

CRIER: I don‘t think it‘s a wise decision on his part. He can certainly manage from the background. But I think he is so integrally involved, and they can make the argument about the vendetta, even though I don‘t believe he would make this sort of pursuit as a career move. It‘s better if he were to manage this. He showed up at certain places. He was supervising the Bradley Miller bust. I don‘t think that‘s a good idea.

ABRAMS: Jayne.

WEINTRAUB: I think that he is bound by the code of ethical responsibility and professional responsibility and as we all know as lawyers, first of all I agree with Catherine so I need to say that right away. It‘s rare. And number two is I think it‘s not just the impropriety, although I do submit that he has exercised all impropriety here. It‘s the appearance of impropriety that he has made himself a witness and it‘s hurting the state‘s case from their perspective. I think he should walk away and get away from the case to give the appearance of fairness.

ABRAMS: All right. We shall see what happens. Catherine Crier and Jayne Weintraub, thanks a lot.

CRIER: Sure.

(MUSIC)

ABRAMS: That‘s right. Michael Jackson wants to be left alone or at least left alone by those who call him “MJ”. He is speaking out, letting us know about the–quote–“way we make him feel”. In a statement released on his Web site yesterday it seems he wants the media with salacious headlines like this one to, well, beat it.

Jackson explains–quote–“My family and I have dedicated our lives to spreading unity and peace to the world through our music–I‘m not going to do the imitation, all right. It‘s unfortunate that for years we‘ve been targets of completely inaccurate and false portrayals, we‘ve watched as we have been vilified and humiliated. I personally have suffered through many hurtful lies and references to me as “MJ”, as well as the latest untruth about me fathering quadruplets. This is intolerable and must stop. All I can hope for is that one day my family will be shown the same kindness and respect that we have throughout our lives shown to others.”

“My Take”–Michael Jackson is one of the best-known performers in the world and he is odd. So it‘s not surprising that there are stories about him. Some of them not particularly flattering. But if they‘re false, he should be fighting back. But you know, get specific. Tell us why they‘re false.

Jackson family friend and NBC News analyst Stacy Brown joins me now. So Stacy, what‘s upsetting him more, the quadruplets business or the “MJ”?

STACY BROWN, JACKSON FAMILY FRIEND: Well for years he‘s talked about the “MJ” headlines...

ABRAMS: Doesn‘t he realize he‘s odd?

BROWN: Well you know, he–well I don‘t know if he realizes it.

However, I will say this about that statement. The thing that impressed me the most and impressed his family the most I can guarantee you that is the fact that he even acknowledged that his family is going through this. You know, his actions have put his family in this position, to be attacked by the media.

Michael has been attacked by the media because of his actions. He‘s put himself in the position where he‘s been charged–accused of child molestation for a second time and this time charged. He has to realize, at some point, this affects not just him. His family–he has nephews and nieces who don‘t go to school because of the harassment. So I‘m very happy that he finally sees the light and says, hey, you–this is affecting my family, too.

ABRAMS: His family has got to realize he‘s a little weird though, right?

BROWN: Well he‘s different from them certainly in appearance...

ABRAMS: Yes.

BROWN: And certainly he‘s been sort of a mystery to an extent, to his own family. So that makes him even more of a mystery to us.

ABRAMS: What about the quadruplets? I mean is he still contending that that‘s not true, and as you‘re reporting, talking to people, anything turned up–anything on that?

BROWN: Well what I found is that there have been talks of more children. As far as this quadruplet report, it‘s unfounded.

ABRAMS: (UNINTELLIGIBLE)

BROWN: But there has been talk. He does–he has expressed it himself. I‘m certainly not talking for him, but he‘s expressed it himself. The family knows. He wants more children.

ABRAMS: (UNINTELLIGIBLE) I‘m not going to call him “MJ”. I mean you know I‘m not saying just because...

(CROSSTALK)

ABRAMS: ... he‘s asking. I don‘t call him...

(CROSSTALK)

ABRAMS: ... I don‘t call him “MJ” anyway. So I mean you know, maybe like sometimes on the bottom of the screen, but anyway I‘m not going to call him “MJ”. Megan (ph), my producer, is going to remind me if I‘m ever thinking about it. So Michael, you heard me. I will not call you that, so again you‘re invited to come on the program.

We hear you. We listen to you. We respond. Stacy Brown, good to see you.

BROWN: Good to see you...

:nav Source: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5796832/

HeavenSent

Post by HeavenSent » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:53 pm

Stacy Brown can take his crusty ass and go to hell. Same w/Danny-boy. I can't stand either one of them.
[align=center]Image[/align]

mjj_05

Post by mjj_05 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:01 am

Right On, Right ON!
It\\\'s the Eye of the Tiger,

It\\\'s the thrill of the fight,

Rising up to the challenge of our rival,

And the last known survivor

Stalks his prey in the night,

And he\\\'s watching us all

With the Eye of the Tiger.

Have you ever felt that you were in the loop, but not apart of the circle?

SmpsnsFan3

Post by SmpsnsFan3 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:45 am

ABRAMS: ... I don‘t call him “MJ” anyway. So I mean you know, maybe like sometimes on the bottom of the screen, but anyway I‘m not going to call him “MJ”. Megan (ph), my producer, is going to remind me if I‘m ever thinking about it. So Michael, you heard me. I will not call you that, so again you‘re invited to come on the program.

first he calls him weird and then he says this.....SUCK UP

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Stubborn daughter of a stubborn sire, this ill-starred maiden kicks against the pricks\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"<span style=\\\\\\\'font-size:12pt;line-height:10