A different life?

R e a f u

Okay this is something that I've been thinking about on and off for a couple of years. Something that popped back into my head after having a really silly conversation with a friend on the KOP discussion boards. Here's what I've been thinking(it's sorta controversial). Michael's career, appearance and most importantly his private life have been the source of speculation for years. Do you think so many of the problems he dealth with would be different, if not completely avoided if he were a woman? Do you think the media would latch on to something completely different? New problems arise? Or would people actually focuse more on her musical and philanthropic work? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this before I share my own(I actually have a long, partially completed text file I wrote on this). Hopefully I haven't offended anyone with this question, so let's get the discussion going!

oldschoolfan

No offence taken at all, it's not like you were saying 'do you think Michael was trying to BE a woman' as the media has in the past speculated, and even then I would take no offence to that because I don't believe in any form of judgement on anyone as long as who that person is or what that person does is no judgement on anyone else.
I think things would probably be different, at least the controversies would be. They'd be talking more about eating disorders and implants. I figure if he were a woman maybe things wouldn't have become AS bad as they did, I don't know why I think that but I do.

R e a f u

I figure if he were a woman maybe things wouldn't have become AS bad as they did, I don't know why I think that but I do.

Actually, I was thinking the very same thing when I first started writing this thread. The whole pedophilia thing wouldn't exist at all. Yes, you hear stories of women doing things to children(Mary Kay Letourneau), but how often do you hear about that as compared to some 40 something year old man abducting a child? People coming out saying that a catholic priest did something? Or a male coach/teacher/ whatever? If anything, if there was a woman tomorrow who opened up a home like Neverland, I am certain one of the first things that would be said is how "charitable and humble" she is for opening her home up to the public and that she's embracing her "maternal instincts".

Missy

One problem I think that would never have happened if Michael were a woman was the allegations. In my many arguments about '93 and the more recent allegations I like to play the gender card. I truly believe that if Michael was a woman and had taken children into his home then not much would've been said. I believe it just would have been seen as 'motherly' and people wouldn't have jumped to sick conclusions.

However, I've never thought about this in terms of other areas of controversy. :canfigureout:

Whilst I don't view cosmetic surgery as a socially acceptable thing to do, I think it's more 'unacceptable' for a man than it is for a woman as we hear about nose jobs and botox predominantly from woman. I believe if he had been a woman and had work done a fuss would've been made, but maybe not as bad as he had it.

However I don't think anyone with Michael's fame would have gotten the luxury of avoiding all media attention regarding their personaly life, whether that person was male or female. There will always have been something.

Palmyra

Clearly, there are gender biases that favor women. In this society in particular, women are excused from certain criticisms men cannot get away with.

For instance, letting children into his (Michael) home wouldn't have been nearly as scrutinized if Michael had been a woman. This is true for all men. This is also why I, as a heterosexual male, avoid coming into contact with children as much as possible. The child molestation hysteria, although I have never been accused of any improper myself, has led me to make changes in my own life. If I see a child in pain across the street, I am far more like to get a woman to help the child than do anything myself. I would keep a distance from the child.

I don't help children (or adults) at the risk of being accused of something I didn't do. That's the difference between Michael and me. For example, if I see a woman walking on the side of the road, I am not going to offer her a ride whereas I would make the offer to a man. I don't want a woman falsely accusing me of something criminal.

We can argue about why these prejudices against men exist, but I blame it squarely on a feminist movement on steroids and a media that has gone horribly awry (speculations are favored more than facts).

But I would never be okay with the idea of Michael having been born as a woman. I liked Michael just as he was.

R e a f u

Palmyra;215937 said:
I don't help children (or adults) at the risk of being accused of something I didn't do. That's the difference between Michael and me. For example, if I see a woman walking on the side of the road, I am not going to offer her a ride whereas I would make the offer to a man. I don't want a woman falsely accusing me of something criminal.

You're very right about this point. I happen to work in a large Walmart where kids are running around at any given moment. Many times you'll hear some random kid running and screaming to find their mother and 9 times out of 10, a female coworker will be the one to page for the parents. I remember even seeing a guy near to a lost child and actually stepping away. I guess all the stories of men who abduct children have really rubbed off on people.

Saphster

I don't think things would have been different.

Example- Britney Spears.

That's all I think about when I think of a female who's fame has ever come close to that of Michael. She can't sing live too good, she can't dance very well, and she's really not all that but the media made her into something bigger than she was. And in the end it all affected her very much, and how everyone was prying in on her private life. They've called her a bad mother, a whore, a lesbian, all kinds of hurtful things. It all took a toll on her and look what happened. Now, she is slowly trying to find her place again and sadly....she is not the same to me anymore. I don't feel like she could ever be as famous as she once was. And it's not because of all the stories I've heard, but really because...I saw her suffer infront of millions of people and go through crisis and it makes me sad to even see her perform. I feel like she doesn't like it anymore.