Abrams: Smokey Robinson defense Michael (Nov 2003)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Smokey Robinson appeared on the Abrams Report defending Michael Jackson. Here's a trascript (bunny at MJJF):

CRIER: In the wake of the allegations against Michael Jackson, some of his friends from the entertainment world have begun speaking out in his defense. One of America’s most prolific singer/songwriters is among those supporters.
(MUSIC)

CRIER: (UNINTELLIGIBLE) without Smokey Robinson, Motown Records might have never earned its nickname Hitsville USA. From leading his own group, “The Miracles” with two dozen top 40 pop hits followed by an explosive solo career for four decades. Where there was Smokey, there was musical fire. Credit his velvet voice and poetic style for some of the most romantic pop songs of our time, Smokey Robinson has left an indelible mark on music history.

And along that road, he’s had a 35-year friendship with another superstar that Motown launched, Michael Jackson. Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Smokey Robinson joins us from Las Vegas for this exclusive interview. Thank you so much for being with us tonight.

SMOKEY ROBINSON, MUSIC LEGEND: Well it’s my pleasure. Thank you.

CRIER: You have known Michael for 35 years. How well do you know the 45–year-old man that we are looking at, we are examining tonight?

ROBINSON: Well, of late, of course, Michael has been sort of like reclusive as far as socializing with people in the recording industry or in the entertainment industry. So he and I haven’t had much one on one lately. But you know you come to know a person well over the period of time that you know them, especially when you know them for that many years. And you kind of know their inners and I find it hard to believe that he could be guilty of the things that he’s being accused of. And I regret the fact that news-the negative news is more newsworthy than the positive news in any case.

CRIER: But you know, Smokey, let’s put anybody else’s name, any other 45-year-old male’s name in there but Michael Jackson, with the charges of ’93, with this relatively long history of having young children, particularly young boys, sleeping alone unattended with him, anybody else and I bet you’d be outraged. Is that fair?

ROBINSON: No, it’s not fair for me.

CRIER: Oh come on. Any other 45-year-old man having young boys coming to his home on a regular basis, you wouldn’t be real concerned about that?

ROBINSON: I’m not saying I’m not concerned about it for Michael, but I would not be outraged, see because I don’t believe in condemning a person or saying that they’re guilty of whatever they’re being charged with until that’s been proven. The fact that he has been hanging out with young boys and young kids and stuff like that is not a normal situation for a man his age. And I have heard many people say that he hasn’t learned any lessons since the first accusation in 1993. But I beg to differ with that because I think he has learned a great lesson in that in as much as this time he came forward to say hey, this didn’t happen. The last time he, like, went in another direction.

CRIER: Yes.

ROBINSON: . and it took him a while to come back and defend himself. So that made him look a little more guilty than perhaps he could have even been, and then he settled out of court and.

(CROSSTALK)

CRIER: . when you’re talking 15 to 25 million.

ROBINSON: Yes.

CRIER: . whatever the number is, it does look bad.

ROBINSON: Yes. Yes.

CRIER: It does in hindsight.

ROBINSON: .. you know and we don’t really know what that number was, but that’s what was reported. But however, this time he came forward immediately to say hey, I didn’t do this thing and I’m ready to go to court, I’m ready to stand up in front of the public to say I’m not guilty and.

CRIER: Are you worried about him, though, because as soon as this happens and again, everyone is presumed innocent and at this point in time, that is the way the justice system must look at this man, but you know once these charges came out, all of a sudden other people are going to come out of the woodwork and may or may not have truthful stories to tell. How is Michael Jackson going to stand up to all of this?

ROBINSON: Well, so far we haven’t had that and.

CRIER: Well they’re talking about 100 new leads right here. You know the D.A. probes 100 serious new leads right here on the cover of the paper.

ROBINSON: Well, yes, but what paper is that? You know what I mean.
So.

CRIER: OK, it’s the “New York Post”.

ROBINSON: You know what I mean. So, I’m saying to you that if the D.A. has probed 100 new leads and whatever it is, none of that has come to light that has actually happened. And none of the 100 new leads have come forward to say anything that we know of.
So that’s just news stuff, again, that’s just stuff that they are talking about, about Michael.

CRIER: What did you think about this statement in the documentary, this business about telling Bashir that he did sleep with young boys?

ROBINSON: Well I actually saw the documentary and I don’t recall him saying that. But even if he did, I mean I’m saying that no one has mentioned the fact that he said that he slept on the floor. The kids slept in the bed.

ROBINSON: . he slept on the floor. That seems to evade every conversation about him sleeping with the kids. Everybody says well he slept with the kids. Nobody says he said he slept on the floor.

ROBINSON: The kids were in the same room with him, but nobody is talking about that. Everybody is talking about he slept with the kids. Yes, but how? He slept in the room with the kids, not in the bed with the kids. Nobody is talking about that.

CRIER: Tell me how you think-you know you talked about him coming forward this time and not settling out of court. This is also, though, very, very difficult, much more so in that it’s very public. You’re going to go through a judicial proceeding and you might even be convicted and sent to prison. How is Michael going to deal with all of this?

ROBINSON: I don’t really know. But I admire the fact that he is willing to take that chance. You see and I’ve heard so many people talk about well, you know we can’t mention the fact of what is going on with the victim or the alleged victim in this case and all that and they are concerned about that. Now I’m concerned about him too because he is a child. But also Michael’s life is at stake also.

You know what I mean? Michael has a life just like the child does, just like the parents of the child. Everybody has a life. You know, so I think that Michael is entitled to defend his life as much as the alleged victim is entitled to bring out-about the accusations.
CRIER: Sure.

ROBINSON: See, so, there are many lives at stake in this thing. But like I said, I do admire the fact and I’m very happy about the fact that he came forward this time to say hey, I’m not guilty and I’m ready to fight this.

CRIER: Does this destroy a career? Because I understand that in Europe his album (UNINTELLIGIBLE) right up at the top, but not doing so well, the new one, here in the states. Is this kind of thing that he can come away from if he doesn’t have an indictment or doesn’t have a conviction?

ROBINSON: I think that if he doesn’t have a conviction, he’ll have one of the biggest resurgences in the history of show business. I think that if he’s proven to be innocent of this, his career will resurge no matter if he never makes another CD or not. Whatever he does, he will be -” he will get new life from an acquittal.

CRIER: Well he’ll certainly have support from friends like you, but before we go, Smokey, tell me what you are up to now.

ROBINSON: Well, I’m just-thanks for asking. I have just released my first spiritual album. It’s an inspirational CD and it’s called “Food for the Spirit” and I’ve just released it on my own record label. This is the first time I’ve ever tried this.

(CROSSTALK)

ROBINSON: And it’s called Robso (ph) Records. And it’s going to be out-massively distributed in March of 2004. Right now it can be gotten on a 1-800 number that I have set up. Can I mention the number?

CRIER: Go for it.

ROBINSON: OK. It’s 1-800-Smokey4. And if you want to get it prerelease.

(LAUGHTER)

ROBINSON: . then that’s how you do it.

CRIER: OK.

ROBINSON: And so we’re looking forward to wonderful things.

CRIER: Well, looking forward to some wonderful music from you again.

Thank you very much for joining us tonight, Smokey Robinson (UNINTELLIGIBLE) much appreciated.

ROBINSON: Thank you Catherine.

CRIER: OK. Now when we come back, a look ahead to tomorrow. Keep it right here.