Anybody else read \"A Royal Duty\" by Paul Burrell?

Tamiele

This probably is "off-topic" but I will let the list managers determine that. Anyhow, Paul Burrell was the infamous butler/friend of HRH Diana, Princess of Wales. I recently purchased his book when I was flying back from vacation. It mentions Martin Bashir and I thought I would pass along a few paragraphs you might find interesting. By the way it was a good read if you like the princess, royals, that sort of thing - very indepth but seemed to be honest.

Anyhow, here is some of what Burrell says about Bashir and his meetings with Di...

On those visits, there was never a hint that a project was being covertly planned; it was one secret the princess was not going to share with me. Not until it was "in the can." Bashir was a clever man and, in time, he learned the insecurities of the princess and no doubt convinced her of the wisdom of doing such a frank television interview. The princess listened to the charming, smooth-talking operator, who somehow convinced her that what became a PR disaster would be a good thing. Instinctively, the princess wanted to trust him. He played the pity card and talked to the princess that summer about how life "hadn't been great" for him recently, his marriage and the pressures of living in a terraced house in the Wimbledon area of London. As she told me afterward; "He's not had an easy life. I enjoyed talking to him." I think she even convinced herself that he was a friend.

What she didn't know was that Bashir phoned me regularly, on the hunt for inside information. What he didn't know was that once, when he rang, the princess was standing next to me in the pantry, some time after the interview had been broadcast.

As I went through the routine of batting away his small talk, she mouthed to me: "Who is it?"

Covering the mouthpiece, I mimed back: "Martin Bashir."

"Put it on the speaker." She pointed at the button on the telephone. I pressed it, and, within seconds, the irreverent voice of the journalist echoed around the pantry. After that conversation, the princess saw her "friend" in a different light.

That is the main part. There is a bit more but that to me sums it up perfectly. He is a royal scumbag - plain and simple.

Bye for now,
Tamie

Saphster

Tamiele;177852 said:
This probably is "off-topic" but I will let the list managers determine that. Anyhow, Paul Burrell was the infamous butler/friend of HRH Diana, Princess of Wales. I recently purchased his book when I was flying back from vacation. It mentions Martin Bashir and I thought I would pass along a few paragraphs you might find interesting. By the way it was a good read if you like the princess, royals, that sort of thing - very indepth but seemed to be honest.

Anyhow, here is some of what Burrell says about Bashir and his meetings with Di...

On those visits, there was never a hint that a project was being covertly planned; it was one secret the princess was not going to share with me. Not until it was "in the can." Bashir was a clever man and, in time, he learned the insecurities of the princess and no doubt convinced her of the wisdom of doing such a frank television interview. The princess listened to the charming, smooth-talking operator, who somehow convinced her that what became a PR disaster would be a good thing. Instinctively, the princess wanted to trust him. He played the pity card and talked to the princess that summer about how life "hadn't been great" for him recently, his marriage and the pressures of living in a terraced house in the Wimbledon area of London. As she told me afterward; "He's not had an easy life. I enjoyed talking to him." I think she even convinced herself that he was a friend.

What she didn't know was that Bashir phoned me regularly, on the hunt for inside information. What he didn't know was that once, when he rang, the princess was standing next to me in the pantry, some time after the interview had been broadcast.

As I went through the routine of batting away his small talk, she mouthed to me: "Who is it?"

Covering the mouthpiece, I mimed back: "Martin Bashir."

"Put it on the speaker." She pointed at the button on the telephone. I pressed it, and, within seconds, the irreverent voice of the journalist echoed around the pantry. After that conversation, the princess saw her "friend" in a different light.

That is the main part. There is a bit more but that to me sums it up perfectly. He is a royal scumbag - plain and simple.

Bye for now,
Tamie

I'm glad she figured out that he wasn't her friend before she passed.:(

HeavenSent

Why am I not surprised? That sounded so much like Bashir vs. Michael, I cringed. Some people just don't understand how low-down he is. Forever giving him the benefit of the doubt, just because he's a "journalist".

Thanks for posting that, Tamie. :)

Tamiele

My pleasure!! I almost shouted out loud when I read that part - like " ah hah!!" the proof from an independant source.

Tamie

HeavenSent

Tamiele;177980 said:
My pleasure!! I almost shouted out loud when I read that part - like " ah hah!!" the proof from an independant source.

Tamie

Yep! I think the stress should be on the words, 'independant source'.