CNN AM: Pat Lalama talking about Feldman connection (Nov 24 2003)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
AMERICAN MORNING

Michael Jackson Facing Music

Aired November 24, 2003 - 07:04 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

SOLEDAD O'BRIEN, CNN ANCHOR

O'BRIEN: All right, Gary Tuchman for us. Gary, thanks.

Joining us now from Los Angeles to talk a little bit more about the Michael Jackson allegations is reporter Pat Lalama from the TV show "Celebrity Justice".

Pat, good morning. Nice to see you again. Thanks for joining us.

PAT LALAMA, "CELEBRITY JUSTICE": Nice to see you, and thanks for inviting me. O'BRIEN: My pleasure. Let's talk a little bit about this case. What do you know? And what has your reporting shown you about the foundations of these allegations?

LALAMA: Well, there are some interesting aspects to it, and as we keep digging, we keep taking the case one step backwards to show how it actually evolved. And by that I mean that we have learned that when these feelings that wrongdoing occurred, the family of the child actually first went to Larry Feldman. Why is that name familiar? Because Larry Feldman is the lawyer who negotiated the major, major multimillion dollar contract with the child from 10 years ago.

Now, what Larry Feldman did, according to our sources -- he won't comment, but this is according to our sources -- he took the child and the family to a therapist. He said you need to go here. That therapist then began his or her assessment of the child.

In the meantime, Larry Feldman takes the family to Santa Barbara, and says to the county sheriff's department and the district attorney you need to know about this. And from that everything evolved.

And by the way, the therapist also did his or her duty to alert authorities as well.

O'BRIEN: So, you're saying it was...

LALAMA: So, this all sort of evolved from this.

O'BRIEN: So, was it the therapist, you’re saying, who tipped off police, or was it the family members and the attorney, who eventually were the ones responsible for bringing these allegations to the police?

LALAMA: Well, I think what I'm trying to say is that it all evolved around the same time, instigated -- maybe that's too harsh a word -- orchestrated, let's put it that way, by Larry Feldman. First, let's go to the therapist; let's tell the therapist what happened. In the meantime we'll get the authorities involved. And in the meantime, the therapist will also go the authorities.

And so, it's an interesting aspect of it, because, you know, we knew that he went to a therapist in the beginning, but what we didn't know is that the family had prior to that contacted this very, very famous attorney...

O'BRIEN: Let's talk about...

LALAMA: ... who was involved in the first case.

O'BRIEN: ... another very, very famous attorney, Mark Geragos...

LALAMA: Yes.

O'BRIEN: ... who has got his hands a little full, I think it's fair to say, with the Scott Peterson case. Tell me a little bit about his history with Michael Jackson. How long has he -- has he known the family or Michael or represented him in any way before?

LALAMA: Our information is that they began talking many, many months ago when Jackson and his camp learned that there was an investigation culminating. So, it's not -- you know, people say, oh, how can he take this on all of a sudden when he's got Scott Peterson? You know, I think it's fair to say that he's a competent lawyer and has a very, very competent staff. And I think at the time he began talking to Michael Jackson, advising him, in the meantime Scott Peterson came along, and then after that Michael Jackson. And then since the Peterson case is in somewhat of a lull right now because the preliminary hearing is over with, I believe that probably Mark Geragos will do a good job of handling Michael Jackson.

O'BRIEN: So then, what are your sources saying about the date of these alleged or several alleged incidents? And if there are several months, as you say, I don't understand why the police would wait so long if they had concerns about a potential child molester why they wouldn't act sooner? Do you have information on that?

LALAMA: Well, I think it's also fair to say that you can't just willy-nilly accuse someone of child molestation. It's a very, very serious case. I mean, the ramifications are so great. You know, yes, there's the media circus around it and people on the (AUDIO GAP) in Santa Barbara (UNINTELLIGIBLE) is not going to make a mistake. He isn't going to jeopardize a child, I'm sure. But at the same time, he needs to get a solid foundation. I am absolutely certain that he does not want to mess this one up.

And I think it does take awhile in a sexual abuse case to really get in the minds of the people who may have been victims and how it led to that. You know, it's a fine line between spending some time with a kid and where you take that line across to inappropriate behavior. And so, I think that clearly they wanted to do their job and do it diligently.

O'BRIEN: Pat Lalama of "Celebrity Justice" joining us this morning. Pat, thanks.

Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/031.../24/ltm.03.html