Death Note Movie To Be Made

sushigirl28

News: Warner Hires Shane Black for Hollywood Death Note Film
posted on 2011-01-13 13:09 EST
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang director to helm adaptation of Ohba/Obata manga

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie news site Deadline reports that Warner Bros. has hired writer/director Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang; writer, Lethal Weapon film series) to direct a live-action Hollywood film based on Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's manga Death Note. The report also states that Anthony Bagarozzi (of Black's upcoming film Doc Savage) and Charles Mondry will write the film's script.

Warner Bros. acquired the rights to the series from previous rights-owner Vertigo Entertainment in 2009, at which time screenwriter brothers Vlas and Charles Parlapanides were attached to the project. Actor Zac Efron has been rumored to star in the film; in a 2009 interview Efron acknowledged having a meeting but did not confirm whether he had the role or not, saying only that the project was not "on the front burner."

ge9856.jpg

AWESOME!! :boxing So many people are fans of this franchise, it's crazy! Including myself, I think this is a wonderfully smart and riveting series. It's licensing was just up not too long ago with it's airing contract with [AdultSwim], so it's not running as of late. They felt very unfortunate (as it's one of the top animes by rating and sales) but didn't renew it quick enough to still hold onto it. But dvds are available easily, and merch very easy as well. Maybe if it was fit into a 2-part movie, b/c the series is quite long and so intricatley thought out, I would hate to see this masterfully-thought out series rushed and squished time-wise. This is suspense, conspiracy, murder, government entanglement, and the other side with a dusting of love angst and paranoia. It is fabulous. Just an update for those who know! :yaychibi

sushigirl28

Juniorlady, me too! It's amazing.. There were two 2006 live-action movies of Death Note and its sequel Death Note: The Last Name, good call girl! :announce
Deathnote_lastnamecast.jpg

I have yet to see it, but I hope to rent them for Chinese New Year so the fam and friends can watch it! :tvhappy It looks wonderful! Here are the trailers in Japanese everyone, if you'd like to see:

Death Note

Death Note: The Last Name

You can see the man from Iron Chef Japan (original Chairman, Tageshi Kaga) I think playing Light's Dad, the police cheif! I was like, "Woah, wait a minute!" Neat! :2tongue

The first movie grossed $41 million in Japan alone, and another $1.9 in Hong Kong at it's debuts. It pushed The DaVinci Code out of the number 1 spot!

"Death Note: The Last Name" instantly topped the Japanese box office remaining at number one for four straight weeks! It grossed 5.5 billion yen in Japan by the end of the year, making it one of the year's highest grossing Japanese films! :yaychibi

I believe this statement's talking about a new all-english version to be made, probably like how they re-did The Grudge, you know with english actors and I've heard that they might plan to change their last names to english ones as well.. Wish they wouldn't but it will still be fun and stellar I bet. ;)

armcjackson

My best friend loves the whole anime stuff (not really my thing but whatever, lol), she'll be sooo excited! :D Thanks for sharingg.

sushigirl28

armcjackson said:
My best friend loves the whole anime stuff (not really my thing but whatever, lol), she'll be sooo excited! :D Thanks for sharingg.

Aw, glad to help! *happy* :boxing
You're very welcome girl! Funny enough, the only anime I watched when I was a little younger was just Sailor Moon. A group of friends from school would pretend to be all of them together, and they were great memories. And I've always loved Sanrio stuff. ;) After a few years of modeling I met a girl who was into Invader Zim and Hellsing and Rammstein (death metal German band) and such.. she was quirky and wonderful. ^_^ I remember watching I think one episode of Hellsing and going, "Woah, this is hard-core, I wonder what else there is out there?" And so I checked out more myself and watched some to see that there were ALL different kinds... And I found that I like gravitating towards romantic ones with music (cuz I sing) or slice of life ones, I ended up loving so many.. And wah-lah! Part of my life now. ::) It's to me either like watching friends talk about problems everyone feels that they have so its cathartic, or beautiful scenery in places I haven't been to yet, or even learning about feudal times and cultures way back when (I love history. ^_^ ) It could be something mindlessly-hilarious (like Bobobo) to blow off steam and just laugh, or a magnificent thriller like Monster. As long as they're written beautifully well and have a clear sense of what they want to say, and what they want you to think, then their golden. When I first was looking to see what kind they had, I really had to sift for stuff I liked. Now it's like their all getting better. They're like visual novels, you know? I'm very impressed by what's out there now! The fam and I (excluding my pops, he watches the football game, lol) have "Japanese Saturday" and we'll all get together and make good food and watch all of what they show on AdultSwim. :tvhorror :tvhappy The first and only time I went to one of the conventions to see how one was was last year, I would hear talk all the time so I decided to go. I met some of the people who produced, some who wrote, some who sang, and some who did voice casting.. One of them ended up asking me to go out! I was like, "Wha?" *lol!* But it was all interesting and fun, and I'm glad I tried going to that too! :yaychibi
All and all, I'm glad there's anime. Wonderful story telling is always welcomed to me.
Much love!
xo

sushigirl28

I didn't put up a trailor for the anime! *Needed* There.

Death Note Anime Trailor *Eng.*

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y3Mz3_mwgQ&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

xo