Did Michael care about sales numbers?

Palmyra

I have never heard Michael talking about whether he judged his own success by sales numbers of his albums, and I am trying to figure out what he thought. Were sales numbers important to him at all? I want to know if he thought "Ah, whatever" or "YES! I made it to number one/sold X albums again!"

This is all I know:

1. Around Off the Wall, Michael told Latoya he wanted to become the biggest musician in the world. He was disappointed with the number of awards he received.

2. In the 60 Minutes interview (and other appearances), Michael talks about Invincible's success. He stresses that Invincible was number 1 in most countries. This suggests to me that he cared about this kind of thing.

Do you guys know of any comments/interviews by Michael on this? Please let me know which interview you're referring to.

Of course he cared about the NUMBERSSSSSSSS!!!! He [JUST] wanted to be the first, pioneer, innovator and if you can check on youtube with the Jacksons [6, with Randy] in the interview, Michael proudly said that they broke the record of Beatles according to audience presence in the stadium where they performed knowing that England is Beatles own country! :bleh:p

candles

2. In the 60 Minutes interview (and other appearances), Michael talks about Invincible's success. He stresses that Invincible was number 1 in most countries. This suggests to me that he cared about this kind of thing.

that's what leads me to believe he cared abotu sales and numbers. There's an interview where, I can't remember which one, he was like 'not that it has to always be number one' or something like that, and for a moment there I wondered if he didn't care. But I do believe a person says that when they're trying to be humble (not saying he wasn't naturally humble)

but yeah i think he cared. i may be reaching with my next comment but didn't his father used to say that there was only one winner? maybe the affection joe showed michael and his brothers when they won something led michael to believe that having success in numbers (aka being number one) equated to being given love and maybe that's another reason why he strove for it.

but i'm just saying. what do i know?

SomedayMaybe;225929 said:
but yeah i think he cared. i may be reaching with my next comment but didn't his father used to say that there was only one winner? maybe the affection joe showed michael and his brothers when they won something led michael to believe that having success in numbers (aka being number one) equated to being given love and maybe that's another reason why he strove for it.

:(:(

Palmyra, here's the video btw... I miss Mike sooooo much, he's cute here....

OneMoreChance

I know that Michael told Oprah that when he was creating music he didn't think about the statistics he created from his heart and soul. But in the end I'm sure that Michael cared about the numbers. The numbers were proof that people liked his music!

Kim81

Jeniffer30;225960 said:
I know that Michael told Oprah that when he was creating music he didn't think about the statistics he created from his heart and soul. But in the end I'm sure that Michael cared about the numbers. The numbers were proof that people liked his music!

Absolutely. Not to say he created music with sales in the front of his mind, cause I absolutely don't think so. But I'm sure he wanted to be the best at what he did, and have the whole world buy/like his music.