Help me make this community sound unique!!

brittanyann2009

Hey everyone, i'm a freshman in college and i'm in speech 100 class, and our first speech is a introductory speech and we have to talk about ourselves, and a community we're involved in thats unique and unique things about it that if u said something or brought something up about the community (anything from a saying to just whatever i guess) to someone whose not a part of the community (mjeol), they would have no idea what you were talking about. Michael is going to be a pretty healthy chunk of my speech in a way and this is the only community i can think of that i'm a part of, cause ive been a part of this community on and off since I was 13 and now I'm 19, and i would really like to have everyone else aware of how amazing it is here :) and how welcoming everyone is and stuff, and anyway, have any ideas about any unique experiences, sayings, ideas whatever you have it that you can think of that makes mjeol so special of a community of mj fans? :) help would be greatly appreciated, i just need one or two ideas to share.. the speech altogether can only be 2-3 minnutes and i have to talk about other thigs as well but the community section is the biggest part lol .. it's due on thursday jan 21 so if u can hlp please help!! :)

thanks so much!

Brittany :)

brittanyann2009

Oh btw, I have an example i just brought up to my friend that I could use but i kind of want something a little more involved lol, anyway, here's what i told her if u have anything similar or any cool ideas, that'd be awesome! here's an example of what kind of thing shes sort of looking for... I told my friend this idea: "the forum has a really popular mj fanfiction thread, where members post stories and stuff that they've written, that are obviously fictional and just for fun, but if i brought that up to you and asked u to name a fanfiction story, who it was by, and what it was about, you couldn't because ur not a part of it.. u know? something like that, but a little more involved.."

Palmyra

Hmm...

I would encourage you to mention terms that are easily recognizable to us that aren't easily recognizable outside of a Michael Jackson fan community like "applehead," abbreviations like TDCAU or TWYMMF, the names of Michael's children, etc. Maybe you could add Michael Jackson trivia most of us would know but others would not.

If you want to talk a little about what makes us a community, mention how much we depend on each other. Remember when we all ran to the Internet on June 25th? Remember June 13th? We came together to talk about things, because the offline world wasn't helpful. In my case, I just couldn't trust the media, and I had to get the real news from MJEOL. When one member comes here to say that a family member/friend made fun of him/her for liking Michael, we all understand what this is like. We speak the same language.

You can mention in your speech that we speak the same language, understand each other, and give each other advice on how to deal with all of these things. Also, because of Michael, we came together, and now, you find people discussing stuff that has nothing to do with Michael. Members have grown to rely on each other, and we've come to trust each other so much, we share our family/work/school/life problems with each other. We share advice. Michael was what brought us together and what keeps us together but he's not the only thing that keeps us together.

If I saw sunshine_larrazabal, oldschoolfan, HeavenSent, Saphster, brittanyann2009, or other members in real life at a mall or something, of course I would go over to say hi and, "WHAT'S UP, Applehead?!"

brittanyann2009

thanks those are some really good ideas! idk how much im gonna say tho cuz i have to fit all of my speech in 3 min and i have a lot to say about everything! so im gonna ask my teacher about my ideas and see if she can help me but i appreciate ur ideas i'll look back when i talkin bout it :)