Innocent until proven guilty

shelly

I was on imdb and we had posts about the idea that a not guilty verdict doesn't mean innocent. What do you think of that? How do you clear someone else name if you are never consider innocent after an allegation?

MJfan01'

shelly;237350 said:
I was on imdb and we had posts about the idea that a not guilty verdict doesn't mean innocent. What do you think of that? How do you clear someone else name if you are never consider innocent after an allegation?

good question. :idontknow

I really feel for falsely accused people. There have been many convicted rapists set free due to new technology proving their innocence.

Teva

Hmmm "Not guilty does not mean innocent". Well in the court of law it does, there is no such verdict as innocent, it is guilty or not guilty.

"How do you clear someone else name if you are never consider innocent after an allegation?" You mean like OJ Simpson? It is next to impossible personally I still think OJ was guilty. However, the person would ACTUALLY have to be innocent, and provable beyond a shadow of a doubt. It would also take some mass media work. Unfortunately the problem with Michael Jackson is, there is doubt because of the previous allegation. It makes it all the more harder, it is a difficult thing for people to get their heads around.

Remember Aphrodite Jones went to the trial already convinced MJ was guilty, that's proof right there of an up hill battle. Also it may take an act of God.

Cristine87

It's not about a court of law, it's about the court of public opinion. The press was constantly putting false stories out over the years about people who claimed they saw this, that and the third with MJ and other boys. People thought Michael was guilty because the press pretty much said he was and they'd been saying he was for years.

oldschoolfan

People will look for any reason to be nasty to someone they don't like, and of course it is VERY easy to be nasty about Michael. I have found the best way to stand up for Michael is to not say 'I am a fan' and to have a slight unbiased way about the way you explain things, i.e. instead of saying 'he IS innocent' say 'I can say he's innocent about as much as you can say he's guilty, but I can only go by the evidence found against him, which is nothing. Until the day he is PROVEN guilty he will be regarded as innocent to me because I chose to judge someone based on proof not presumption'. If you keep it like that then you are less likely to be attacked, or at least the attack won't be as harsh as if you were all 'I love Michael I know he's innocent, he IS innocent, he sang all these songs about saving the planet and the children', etc. If your emotional connection to Michael isn't so apparent then they aren't going to attept to hit a nerve to upset you as much as they would with an obvious fan.

I hope that makes some sort of sense...

shelly

I was speaking from a general point of view. I think in every country in the world you start a trila by being presumed innocent and you stay innocent until you are proven guilty. In my opinion it's very important to respect that.