Jackson\'s judge criticized (Aug 12 2004)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Jackson's judge criticized
By Quintin Cushner/Staff Writer

While addressing some of Santa Maria's most prominent citizens Wednesday, journalist Linda Deutsch chastised a local judge for conducting the Michael Jackson's child molestation case under extreme secrecy.

Deutsch told guests at the annual Installation & Awards Dinner of the Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce that Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville would "put a nail in the coffin of freedom of information" if he continued sealing court records in the Jackson case.

The veteran Associated Press reporter's speech was greeted by polite applause from the 350-person audience at Santa Maria's Elks Lodge. Melville did not attend the ceremony.

Those in attendance included 5th District Santa Barbara County Supervisor Joe Centeno, Santa Maria Police Department Chief Danny Macagni, Santa Maria Fire Department Chief Frank Ortiz and Superior Court judge candidates Ed Bullard and Jim Rigali.

During her speech, Deutsch also criticized prosecutors and defense lawyers in the Jackson case, who have joined Melville in insisting that Jackson's right to a fair trial requires unprecedented secrecy.

"I never have seen quite as much fear and loathing of the press," she said.

In her opinion, media coverage of high-profile cases does not prevent defendants from receiving their due legal process.

"Jurors always rise to the occasion," she said. "You have to believe in the intelligence of the American people."

Deutsch, one of America's most respected print journalists, has covered high-profile American trials for more than 30 years. In addition to Jackson, Deutsch is also currently covering the murder cases of actor Robert Blake and record-producer Phil Spector.

* Staff writer Quintin Cushner can be reached at 739-2217 or by e-mail at qcushner@pulitzer.net.

Aug. 12, 2004

:nav Source: http://www.santamariatimes.com/articles/20...ocal/news07.txt

Cristine87

Originally posted by whisper

"Jurors always rise to the occasion," she said. "You have to believe in the intelligence of the American people."

The American people are too ****ing judgemental! Too many people hate on Michael 'cause there minds are poisoned with the garbage they see on t.v. If this case was all out in the open, the media would take even the most insignificant piece of evidence & blow it out of proportion with the intention of making Michael look guilty & selling papers! All these media outlets are all crying & shit not because the rights of the american people to be informed are being violated but because this case is the perfect opportunity for the media to have a huge story to sell, so Linda can kiss my ass! I'm not stupid!

misdreavus

Originally posted by Cristine87
The American people are too ****ing judgemental! Too many people hate on Michael 'cause there minds are poisoned with the garbage they see on t.v. If this case was all out in the open, the media would take even the most insignificant piece of evidence & blow it out of proportion with the intention of making Michael look guilty & selling papers! All these media outlets are all crying & shit not because the rights of the american people to be informed are being violated but because this case is the perfect opportunity for the media to have a huge story to sell, so Linda can kiss my ass! I'm not stupid!

I agree to this entire post, including the part about the american people being too judgemental. I should know, because I was born in America and have lived here for all of my life! My grandmother says that the majority of the huge media outlets here (FOX, MSNBC, CNN, etc) are mainly republican and that the reporters can't report certain things because they will get fired if they do. Mind you, this is just what my grandmother says. She agrees with us fans that the media is being extremely unfair to Michael.

SpecialJanet25

Exactly. Because the media's outrageous reports about Michael, the american people can be as judgmental. They have a hatred on Michael when don't even know him. This woman like the rest of reporters are going blow it everything out of out of proportion like they always do. And it's totally unfair how the treated Michael. But I guess that how America is being judgmental and not being fair.

A

Anonymous

"I never have seen quite as much fear and loathing of the press," she said.

In her opinion, media coverage of high-profile cases does not prevent defendants from receiving their due legal process.

PLEASE! Look at the Scott Peterson trial! They have already made movies and crap pointing to his guilt, which sways people that may otherwise have not had an opinion.

Does she not know how much bull is printed about Michael? Just look at the VH1 crap. That movie was so inaccurate, the got Michael's persona wrong because all they did was watch and read things that were said in the media.

A

Anonymous

Also, I don't know why they are bitching so much. It's not like they will die if they don't get all the info.

SpecialJanet25

Originally posted by NevaehDreamz
PLEASE! Look at the Scott Peterson trial! They have already made movies and crap pointing to his guilt, which sways people that may otherwise have not had an opinion.

Does she not know how much bull is printed about Michael? Just look at the VH1 crap. That movie was so inaccurate, the got Michael's persona wrong because all they did was watch and read things that were said in the media.

Exactly NevaheDreamz! I think since the OJ Trial, the media coverage of celebrities cases has gotten way out of hand. They rather focus on the guilt and give the public the wrong facts. Look at the Kobe case. It's crazy. They remained secrecy like Michael case. Trying to find out what's going behind close doors. They bitching about whatever they feel is necassary to bring the facts (as theh claimed) out to the public but like always twisted the damn facts without prove.

floacist

Originally posted by NevaehDreamz

I get what your saying girl but lets NOT even start to compare Scott Peterson to Michael..god no.